NBA Draft Lottery

What pick will we end up with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I mean, Holmes is actually a good player and a good contract. Not his fault a top 25 guy in Sabonis was available. You make that swing every time and obviously don't let Holmes, who is top 15-ish at the C position stand in the way. And I'm willing to give Holmes a pass for last season; totally understandable why he fell off a cliff in production the back-half of the year with all the nonsense going on in his personal life. We'll see what happens when/if he gets flipped this summer and I'm guessing we'll be glad that we resigned him on that cheap of a deal.

DDV is also a good player and he's significantly different because you can still find minutes with him, even if he transitioned to a super-sub bench role. Where Holmes gets stuck is he and Sabonis maybe could only share like 5 or 6 minutes on the floor together.

It's just a no-brainer. He's good, he's the exact sort of role player this team has needed in ages, he's still young and you're likely getting most of his prime with the next contract. And the fact Monte went and got him 2 years later after the Bogi/Bucks thing pretty much guarantees he's apart of this team's future (especially at the time where DDV was probably at his lowest point production wise in his career). None chance he just walks (assuming there isn't an insane like 20+mil offer).
Yeah, and heard that about JT but once they held onto him even a little too long, ANCHOR. If you are not totally a contender yet paying MLE money to 15 mpg backups is a bad, bad idea. Have we not learned this lesson as Kings fans yet? As far as Donte, lets not forget that whole thing started with the Bucks wanting Bogdan. I'm not totally sold on some "Must get Donte DiVincenzo" master plan. Maybe they knew he was available and he was always out there? He's a solid role guy, and there are ways where he could make sense keeping on. Like I said, I'm hoping that QO. Best of all worlds.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
ivey was 40.6% from 3 as a spot up shooter. It’s not like his shot is broken or anything.
Right, and I think Fox shot around 35% on spot-up or one dribble threes specifically last season (it was much worse when he pulled up after 2+ dribbles) which is to say, there's reasons to be optimistic about both Fox and Ivey as shooters assuming they don't need to create their own looks off the dribble. And the way both of those guys can get into the paint and kick it back out combined with Sabonis' talent as a passer means they likely wouldn't need to.

Yeah, and heard that about JT but once they held onto him even a little too long, ANCHOR. If you are not totally a contender yet paying MLE money to 15 mpg backups is a bad, bad idea. Have we not learned this lesson as Kings fans yet? As far as Donte, lets not forget that whole thing started with the Bucks wanting Bogdan. I'm not totally sold on some "Must get Donte DiVincenzo" master plan. Maybe they knew he was available and he was always out there? He's a solid role guy, and there are ways where he could make sense keeping on. Like I said, I'm hoping that QO. Best of all worlds.
Dunno what to say if you think Holmes and JT are comparable players/talents. Just on a different delta with their talent evaluation. Especially when Holmes was signed BEFORE the Sabonis deal. It's not like we intended him to be in a 15 MPG role, he was clearly signed to be a 28-30MPG starter.

Dunno what to say if you think Holmes and JT are comparable players/talents. Just on a different delta with their talent evaluation. Especially when Holmes was signed BEFORE the Sabonis deal. It's not like we intended him to be in a 15 MPG role, he was clearly signed to be a 28-30MPG starter.
That's not the issue and I'm not talking about that, they could very well be in similar ROLES. And yes, most thought JT was a good player on a good contract at the time. That role is a killer in terms of value. Get out now before it's too late. There was a grade thread at the time, few A+ grades in there, and they were thinking inside the vacuum. On it's own it's totally fair, but situation matters. Without any guarantees about success, fit, or future I thought the deal was average overall. Turns out that it was. Bad year aside, they had to change the roster, traded for an all star C, now it's time to dump ASAP. Holmes already started to pout this year about his role. Get out now and don't repeat the same business of filling out your back end before you've loaded the front.

That's not the issue and I'm talking about that, they could very well be in similar ROLES. That role is a killer in terms of value. Get out now before it's too late. There was a grade thread at the time, few A+ grades in there, and they were thinking inside the vacuum. On it's own it's totally fair, but situation matters. Without any guarantees about success, fit, or future I thought the deal was average overall. Turns out that it was. Bad year aside, they had to change the roster, traded for an all star C, now it's time to dump ASAP. Holmes already started to pout this year about his role. Get out now and don't repeat the same business of filling out your back end before you've loaded the front.
Oh I get you. Yeah, the valuation is significantly different now, obviously. Basically, at the time of the signing, it was excellent A grade for a quality starting player on a MLE contract. That's about as good as you can hope for in FA.

But yeah, with Sabonis in town, the team needs to maximize every position. Damian Jones more than proved he can handle that back-up C workload can probably be brought back for like 2/6. Even if not, you can make it work with Queta/Len/Metu to aggregate those back-up 5 minutes or if Sabonis goes down.

I wouldn't outright firesale Holmes, but I'd take deals like Cody Martin S&T, Plumlee+15, Kleber+pick (or even Kleber straight up tbh. He's an expiring and he'll help you win games next year, can reset that money if it doesn't work). I'd be very surprised if we couldn't get a useful player or mid-late FRP for him.

Not for nothing but if the Pacers wanted a good young big, maybe they should have kept their 25 year old two time all-star on an extremely team friendly contract?
More importantly, how do the logistics work with the draft taking place before free agency? Sure, you know the offer sheet is going to have to be the max, but if you’re Indy are you comfortable picking for the Suns while there’s a chance Ayton signs someone else’s max offer sheet? If the Kings and Bucks can’t discuss the framework of a Bogi sign and trade before free agency, how would it be ok to do so here, when the draft pick would involve even more apparent pre-agency coordination?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
More importantly, how do the logistics work with the draft taking place before free agency? Sure, you know the offer sheet is going to have to be the max, but if you’re Indy are you comfortable picking for the Suns while there’s a chance Ayton signs someone else’s max offer sheet? If the Kings and Bucks can’t discuss the framework of a Bogi sign and trade before free agency, how would it be ok to do so here, when the draft pick would involve even more apparent pre-agency coordination?
I can just see Mark Tatum step up to the podium: "With the 31st pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers...(wait, what is this?)...(do I read that out loud...ok)...the Indiana pacers pre-emptively forfeit the 31st pick for openly tampering with the free agency of DeAndre Ayton...(can they DO that? I mean...)...The, erm, Orlando Magic are on the clock...(what the hell just happened?)"

I can just see Mark Tatum step up to the podium: "With the 31st pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers...(wait, what is this?)...(do I read that out loud...ok)...the Indiana pacers pre-emptively forfeit the 31st pick for openly tampering with the free agency of DeAndre Ayton...(can they DO that? I mean...)...The, erm, Orlando Magic are on the clock...(what the hell just happened?)"
Ind rep: "Your honor, may I present exhibit A,
"According to @Gambo987..."
https://bit.ly/3wJKwH7

I have no further questions.