[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb02

All-Star

wouldn’t there be a major conflict of interest having the owner of the biggest shoe brand in the world who happens to have endorsement deals with a majority of the stars in the league buy a team?
I don't see that as a conflict of interest. And if it was, they could just cut a deal where Knight did not have controlling interest.

My first thought, the Kings (and a few others like OKC) are so poor relative to the rest of the West. Lakers are in LA. The dubs are in the bay. Clips have Ballmer. Blazers have Knight. Kings have Vivek, who is no where in the same league as Ballmer and Knight.

Lol Jody Allen getting absolutely savaged by Blazers twitter
lol Portlanders funny because they claim to love women but hate Jody now because of the Billups hire (even though she was pushing hard for Hammon), meanwhile they are begging the former Mrs. Bezos to buy the Timbers and Thorns. I doubt Phil Knight (who is supporting an independent spoiler gubernatorial candidate and was blasted all over twitter for a TedX talk just this past weekend) is any better than any of the other billionaires we have here. The mental gymnastics around these parts are a struggle, I hate it here.

*sincere apologies if I broke any rules

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
lol Portlanders funny because they claim to love women but hate Jody now because of the Billups hire (even though she was pushing hard for Hammon), meanwhile they are begging the former Mrs. Bezos to buy the Timbers and Thorns. I doubt Phil Knight (who is supporting an independent spoiler gubernatorial candidate and was blasted all over twitter for a TedX talk just this past weekend) is any better than any of the other billionaires we have here. The mental gymnastics around these parts are a struggle, I hate it here.

*sincere apologies if I broke any rules
I think Portlanders have seen Phil Knight turn the Oregon Ducks into a football powerhouse almost entirely thanks to his massive money infusions and just want that to happen with the Blazers after a good half-decade of a sick-and-dying owner and an absentee owner who disastrously made the Blazers cut team salary and tank in order to make them easier to sell. It’s absolutely hilarious that she’s suddenly decided she’s not interested in selling them now.

she’s probably just trying to drive up the price of purchase a little higher but the optics of this are terrible from pretty much every angle.

He's probably taking a year off anyway but this sucks. Brown was a FO hire so he might have been the dude all along anyway.
yeh, one of the most in demand coaches in the NBA was not going to accept a job with the Sacramento Kings.

“Sources say the Wolves will replace Finch at the all star break with the former Jazz head coach in yet another power move for the Minnesota franchise” :D

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
yeh, one of the most in demand coaches in the NBA was not going to accept a job with the Sacramento Kings.

“Sources say the Wolves will replace Finch at the all star break with the former Jazz head coach in yet another power move for the Minnesota franchise” :D
Probably, but that's why you gotta pony up. Just like the Wolves did to get their new FO guy in that other "power move". The last time Vivek scoffed at a similar godfather deal it cost him Larry Bird and saw him deeply entrenched in literal chaos and futility for the next decade.

So he has 2 years left on his contract, the last being a coach’s option. Does that mean a team would have to provide compensation if he wants to coach elsewhere this season?

So he has 2 years left on his contract, the last being a coach’s option. Does that mean a team would have to provide compensation if he wants to coach elsewhere this season?
Almost certainly yes. Probably look at whatever the Clips paid for Doc when he wanted to leave the Celtics after they broke up the Big 3.

Watch Phil Knight buy the Blazers and hire him. Don't know if he'd want that job but maybe in a year they'll be reloaded if Dame doesn't walk (alternatively I guess they could trade him for whichever Jazz player Snyder actually wanted to build around).

Of course Snyder becomes available after we hire a coach. I don’t care if people think he would coach here or not, it’s the fact we rush to hire someone way before anyone else, before playoffs were even done. At least the Lakers also hired before the announcement. Charlotte also deep in the hiring process, wonder id they would extend their search to include Snyder.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Of course Snyder becomes available after we hire a coach. I don’t care if people think he would coach here or not, it’s the fact we rush to hire someone way before anyone else, before playoffs were even done. At least the Lakers also hired before the announcement. Charlotte also deep in the hiring process, wonder id they would extend their search to include Snyder.
I’m not sure how much we’d want to hire a clearly burnt out Quin Snyder, at least this off season. Maybe after he has a year or two off to recharge his batteries but the dude was looking rough by the end of the playoffs.

When Joerger got hired we got lucky because he was a late firing in Memphis. I seem to remember that we were rejected by 2-3 top targets before Joerger came on the market and we snatched him up. I honestly think hiring a coach when we did was prudent, especially lining up 3 top assistants as well and if the plan was to keep Christie onboard we didn't leave him lingering around either while negotiating and he might take another offer.

Snyder absolutely would be a sexy hire but I do think Brown has the better resume, and I really like the assistants he has brought on, which to me sealed the deal that it was a good hire. Let's not look at the grass on the neighbor's lawn because we could have no grass at all.

also consider we'd be competing with the Jazz for a hire if we waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.