Navy vs Army

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Navy men unite and help beat back the great brown horde.

I hate to say it but these guys look no bigger than your average Texas high school teams.

I'm not into silly pissing contest only facts, so I took it back to beginning of this service rivalry and looked at it over past 30 years - AF being junior academy of the three. Air Force Academy is lifetime 27-16 against Naval Academy and 33-14-1 lifetime against Army West Point. Over past three decades Air Force is 228-140-1 and during that time played in 18 bowl games winning 8. During that most recent long stretch they had four seasons in which they finished among top 25 NCAA final ranking with 1985 and 1998 football teams both going 12-1. So I stand by my original statement that over past couple decades (make it three) AF has been better than both Navy and Army by their overall record (they don't play every year) and by national ranking plus bowl results (over past 30 years Army and Navy have played in far fewer bowls than AF). This year was bad down year in Colorado Springs as team went 2-10. You can now proceed to go wash your mouth out.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You said the "past couple decades". That's a direct quote. Three decades isn't a couple; a couple is two. Over the past two decades (i.e., twenty years), Navy is 11-9 against Air Force. I don't care who's played in more bowl games, and I don't care who's had the better overall record. Since I enlisted in the Navy, we've had the better record versus Air Force. And, in recent history, we've dominated Air Force. And Army. AFAIC, that's the only thing that matters.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not into silly pissing contest only facts, so I took it back to beginning of this service rivalry and looked at it over past 30 years - AF being junior academy of the three. Air Force Academy is lifetime 27-16 against Naval Academy and 33-14-1 lifetime against Army West Point. Over past three decades Air Force is 228-140-1 and during that time played in 18 bowl games winning 8. During that most recent long stretch they had four seasons in which they finished among top 25 NCAA final ranking with 1985 and 1998 football teams both going 12-1. So I stand by my original statement that over past couple decades (make it three) AF has been better than both Navy and Army by their overall record (they don't play every year) and by national ranking plus bowl results (over past 30 years Army and Navy have played in far fewer bowls than AF). This year was bad down year in Colorado Springs as team went 2-10. You can now proceed to go wash your mouth out.
lol...

You started the silly pissing contest. This wasn't about Air Force, which I'm pretty sure was mentioned by no one at all during today's game - nor should it have been. IMHO you're the one out of line.

I didn't start anything, only said I was interested in avoiding it. Just made little comment that AF football as one of one of the three NCAA Division I military academies gets no respect and I didn't use harsh language to make point or respond.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't start anything, only said I was interested in avoiding it. Just made little comment that AF football as one of one of the three NCAA Division I military academies gets no respect and I didn't use harsh language to make point or respond.
Let's review:

1. Today was the annual Army-Navy game, hence the name of the thread.
2. We have in our midst a couple of tars who were commenting on said game.
3. You decided to make a totally irrelevant comment about AF football, somewhat akin to someone coming into a thread about a Kings-Celtics game (for example) and talking about how good the Lakers are.
4. You elicited a strong response, which anyone with an ounce of sense could probably have seen coming.

Sorry, but I think this is one of those cases where you should have known better. ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Let's review:

1. Today was the annual Army-Navy game, hence the name of the thread.
2. We have in our midst a couple of tars who were commenting on said game.
3. You decided to make a totally irrelevant comment about AF football, somewhat akin to someone coming into a thread about a Kings-Celtics game (for example) and talking about how good the Lakers are.
4. You elicited a strong response, which anyone with an ounce of sense could probably have seen coming.

Sorry, but I think this is one of those cases where you should have known better. ;)
No kidding; PurpleHaze, you came into a thread about the Army/Navy game to talk about Air Force: you couldn't have been that interested in "not" starting something.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I am sure part of the reason PurpleHaze showed up here is because he is a good friend of mine. It was a little trash talking among friends that became something else. I took no offense. It doesn't take two mods to put him down does it? That's a little heavy handed based on inaccurate assumptions.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I wasn't "putting him down" at all, I was just pushing back against his comments. Defending my Midshipmen, as it were. Exactly how was I supposed to know that the two of you are boys?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I wasn't "putting him down" at all, I was just pushing back against his comments. Defending my Midshipmen, as it were. Exactly how was I supposed to know that the two of you are boys?
There is no way but it got to be a bit much when VF21 showed up and laid out her objections to PurpleHaze's notes. It's too bad I wasn't around to stop this but I wasn't.

I went to school 12 years at the U of M.
Careful Glenn, you don't want to upset monitor for so much as mentioning ANYTHNG except Army or Navy in this thread. BTW, thanks for coming to my defense after broadside by two monitors who owe one or both of us apology - fat chance. As an aside, that's why I don't subscribe here and notice you don't either. I was going too originally but was sanctioned for no good reason couple months after coming on board, politely protested, got no rescind. Then, saw incidents of certain monitors injecting themselves into various situations and arguments they should have kept out of or at least not made worse with arrogant, pilling on comments. As you know, I often keep personal opinions, various topics in private conversation but felt this one needed open airing.

I went to school 12 years at the U of M.
That's awesome man. I've never gotten to attend any of the schools, but my favorite college division in any sport is easily the Big-Ten. Besides the fact that I've always been a huge Wolverines fan, I've just always enjoyed the competitiveness of all the schools.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That's awesome man. I've never gotten to attend any of the schools, but my favorite college division in any sport is easily the Big-Ten. Besides the fact that I've always been a huge Wolverines fan, I've just always enjoyed the competitiveness of all the schools.
Who are the Wolverines?? Is that anything like a Badger? My high school years were lived in Badgerland and my best friend lives now 6 blocks from Camp Randall Stadium. Still don't get that Wolverine thing, though. ;)

My years at U of M (Minnesota and not that Wolverines school) were when they had their best basketball program. I used to hang out at the athletes dorm which was a hoot. A guy from my high school had a football scholarship.

Last edited: