Most interesting day in Chicago...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oprah Winfrey started her 19th season this year. And, in what has to be the most generous giveaway ever in the history of talk-shows, she celebrated by giving every single member of her audience a brand new car!!

Whoa....

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Whoa!! I am impressed. And, to think, I am only about 3 1/2 hrs from Chicago. I could have been there. :p

VF21 said:
Oprah Winfrey started her 19th season this year. And, in what has to be the most generous giveaway ever in the history of talk-shows, she celebrated by giving every single member of her audience a brand new car!!

Whoa....
Is Oprah a philanthropist or does she just give stuff away to her upper-crust audiences?

Gargamel said:
Is Oprah a philanthropist or does she just give stuff away to her upper-crust audiences?
I saw some TV piece on her trip to Africa (South Africa I think) where she gave thousands of children toys, clothes, etc. She ended up providing financial support for several of the kids she met, and I believe she paid for a school or two to stay open.

It was actually kind of cool. Something I'd want to do if I had a billion dollars and wasn't so lazy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It wasn't an upper-crust audience. Her staff had spent the whole summer going through the tons of letters they received to find people who really needed new cars. The people were brought to the show under a variety of guises - one man was told it was about teaching children in poor neighborhoods, a woman was brought to the show as a gues of someone who had "won" two tickets, etc.

Oprah Winfrey is a generous person with an extremely kind heart, from what I've seen and read. She lives the lifestyle of the rich and famous, but always finds time to give something back. From what I've heard, there are a number of charities in Chicago and elsewhere that truly owe their existence to her generosity.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Our local news just showed a couple of women from small towns in Central Illinois (in depressed areas) who were invited to the show. Those are the kind of people that you like to see win something like that.

One woman is in her late 40's (I would guess) said she's never owned a new car in her life. The newscasters were almost in tears.

BTW - each person is currently filling out forms for Pontiac to pick out colors and options (all included). They will receive their cars, just as they order them, in 3 to 4 months.

So, Oprah not only gives them cars, but then lets them have some choices. THAT is way cool.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Very few rich and powerfull people impress me even when they do good deeds, but Oprah definatly seemsto a genuinly good person who has used her wealth, power and influence to make the world a little better.

my aunt had that on while we cleaned out our bookcases. that was generous of her!!!! it's a crappy pontiac, but its the thought that counts. i'd have loved to trade that in for money so i could get a jetta :D

Somebody please correct my math but if the link provided is correct...those "crappy" cars (which have the FUNKIEST sunroof I've ever seen) retail at 28,000 each (plus upgrades that the recipients get to make, how cool is that?) and they gave away 276 of them??? Over 8 million dollars in automobiles??? WOW.

Now, a semi-funny story...I picked my mom up at the hospital earlier this summer. I had driven 200 miles to do it and she wanted to go home in "her" car. So after I loaded all her junk into my car (along with the wine barrel planters I picked up for her in Napa) and drove to her house, one of my sibs had taken her car keys and I couldn't get in touch with anybody who may/may not have had them. I unloaded the car and went back to the hospital in mine and explained to my mom's dismay she was gonna have to go home in mine, she turned and sniffed to her nurse..."well, SHE drives a Volvo but *I* drive a Grand Prix!"......(and I'm not talkin' a beater Volvo either!)

So, thank God for Pontiac stockholders that SOMEBODY loves a Pontiac! LOL! :D (Although I was ready to stuff my mom in the trunk of either vehicle at that point!).

That was a very generous donation on the part of both Pontiac and Oprah. Three cheers for them!

KK!