More on Justin Jackson (split from game thread)

I've got to give Christie some credit on the appraisal of JJ's defense. When I saw JJ in college I really liked his defense (and his offensive versatility). I liked the pick. Then, after a year and a quarter I was thinking this kid just isn't going to make it on D. But then Jackson turned the switch, the ignition went on, and my doubts have been very much eroded. A very similar situation to Buddy. Christie kept the faith. He kept talking about JJ's defensive potential. I'm like: What? I just don't see it, especially when opponents crossed him over he looked like he was in another county, much less on the same floor with the guy he was trying to defend. Christie knew his stuff and kept the faith and had patience. I really was starting to think in terms of bust. Christie knew best. The moral of the story for me: have more patience, especially on the defensive end of the floor
Great post. My thoughts and feelings with jackson mirrored your experience exactly.

Question, why is Doug not pursuing coaching and instead wants to be a TV guy??? He seems tailored made to be a coach, and a darn good one

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Great post. My thoughts and feelings with jackson mirrored your experience exactly.

Question, why is Doug not pursuing coaching and instead wants to be a TV guy??? He seems tailored made to be a coach, and a darn good one
He'd be fantastic teaching defense. I'm not saying that the Kings' coaching staff does not know how to coach defense when I say this, it's just that every time I hear Christie talk about Kings' players on the defensive side of the ball he has very specific things for them to do in order to get better. The Kings' coaching staff probably counsels on those specific things as well, but it can't hurt hearing advice from one more guy who's forte was defense.

He'd be fantastic teaching defense. I'm not saying that the Kings' coaching staff does not know how to coach defense when I say this, it's just that every time I hear Christie talk about Kings' players on the defensive side of the ball he has very specific things for them to do in order to get better. The Kings' coaching staff probably counsels on those specific things as well, but it can't hurt hearing advice from one more guy who's forte was defense.
That's probably the answer to the question of why Doug is not in coaching. The Kings have a tight staff already in place, and Doug would never want to coach anywhere else! #TrueSon

He apparently is capable of doing both. He was a Communications major in college; he's doing what he wants to do as a career with the bonus of being able to continue to contribute to the sport he loves that got him where he is.
A caller on Grant's show asked Doug if any of the players have ever asked him for any advice or tips and he said no. That to me is leaving the money on the table.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A caller on Grant's show asked Doug if any of the players have ever asked him for any advice or tips and he said no. That to me is leaving the money on the table.
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. Just because Doug says no one has specifically asked him for advice or tips doesn't mean he hasn't helped. Kayte has mentioned it, and I believe Jim Kozimor also talked about it when he did the sit-down interview with Doug. Bottom line is you're missing my point entirely. It's not about what we the fans think Doug should do. It's what DOUG wants to do - and as I said, it looks like he's living his dream. I'm just very glad he's here.

For our benefit, Doug should be doing what he’s doing. He’s much better than Jerry IMO, gives great insight, and already has a chemistry with Napear. If he was coaching we’d have a worse voice on TV

SLAB

Hall of Famer
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. Just because Doug says no one has specifically asked him for advice or tips doesn't mean he hasn't helped. Kayte has mentioned it, and I believe Jim Kozimor also talked about it when he did the sit-down interview with Doug. Bottom line is you're missing my point entirely. It's not about what we the fans think Doug should do. It's what DOUG wants to do - and as I said, it looks like he's living his dream. I'm just very glad he's here.
Doesn’t Doug also talk about being out on the court with the kids and giving them pointers? They may not be seeking him out, but he’s still there to offer his thoughts and insight

Blob you are a certified hater. I can't fathom actively rooting against a guy on our squad who's actually a good man for no apparent reason. I hope JJ keeps up the good work and ends up being a part of a really great kings era where we finally stake our flag into the promise land I don't know about you.
I would like Jackson to do well, to make his open looks, so we can win more games and stay in the playoff chase and so he can raise his trade value to get us Otto. It is not going to happen but whatever.....I have nothing against Goose Egg Jackson or G-Leaguer Jackson, take your pick of preferred moniker either are applicable. He's a likable kid but who gives a crap about his "likability". Do you know who I am? I am the same guy who told you Jason Thompson was a scrub for many years when 90% of the fan base defended him. I am the same guy right more than anyone on this forum bar none. Read my old posts and you will find I basically tell you what will happen 6-12 months in advance. Where is JT is now? He's in China playing against 6'6" centers. I had nothing against JT. Great guy, great character, bad player. I was on island relative to the fan base. I was content to be there because I trust my own eyes not popular sentiment. The popular sentiment is a joke. Subsequently we dumped the ideal third for cap space. The 6ers, Raptors and Warriors had NO use for the "ideal third big". Why not?! I thought he was the ideal third big? Oh nevermind onto my next spurious declaration. The same arc will occur with Jackson. He is NOT good. I am not a hater then or now. I set aside my rooting bias long enough to see probabilities. I bet on the probabilities. It is a winning formula.

I've got to give Christie some credit on the appraisal of JJ's defense. When I saw JJ in college I really liked his defense (and his offensive versatility). I liked the pick. Then, after a year and a quarter I was thinking this kid just isn't going to make it on D. But then Jackson turned the switch, the ignition went on, and my doubts have been very much eroded. A very similar situation to Buddy. Christie kept the faith. He kept talking about JJ's defensive potential. I'm like: What? I just don't see it, especially when opponents crossed him over he looked like he was in another county, much less on the same floor with the guy he was trying to defend. Christie knew his stuff and kept the faith and had patience. I really was starting to think in terms of bust. Christie knew best. The moral of the story for me: have more patience, especially on the defensive end of the floor
His defense has improved, I will grant you that. I don't think it is enough. He's not good enough.

JJ was a beast in his limited minutes last night, even before he hit those two big 3s and his FG% was trash, he was making a positive impact out there with hustle plays and super aggressive defense.

Blob, just admit you were wrong! It's easy!
Haha, you are betting on Justin? Go for it man. Have faith. Respect. More power to you. I do not have faith. Ben McLemore lit it up in Phoenix. We saw what a fringe player could do with our three star players garnering most of the attention from the opposition. Let me say this and amend my prognosis on Goose Egg Jackson. Buddy, Fox and Bogs make it easier for supplementary players. This should be common knowledge by now. You see this with the Warriors with KD and Curry. The teammates are rewarded for the extra defender sent their way. Buddy, Bogs and Fox are so good, the other guys on the floor are often left unattended. This is opportunity. This is Jackson left open with spot up shots or clear side of the floor. So do your thing man! But the problem is his thing is subpar it is not good enough, running floaters from 15 feet do not work over a decent sample size. The guy is a fraud. It is not easy to be a legitimate component on a playoff worthy team, this is not hard to discern. His shot from deep is so spotty and his % over 800 attempts at NC and SAC say so. Jackson will fail. Mark my words.

I would like Jackson to do well, to make his open looks, so we can win more games and stay in the playoff chase and so he can raise his trade value to get us Otto. It is not going to happen but whatever.....I have nothing against Goose Egg Jackson or G-Leaguer Jackson, take your pick of preferred moniker either are applicable. He's a likable kid but who gives a crap about his "likability". Do you know who I am? I am the same guy who told you Jason Thompson was a scrub for many years when 90% of the fan base defended him. I am the same guy right more than anyone on this forum bar none. Read my old posts and you will find I basically tell you what will happen 6-12 months in advance. Where is JT is now? He's in China playing against 6'6" centers. I had nothing against JT. Great guy, great character, bad player. I was on island relative to the fan base. I was content to be there because I trust my own eyes not popular sentiment. The popular sentiment is a joke. Subsequently we dumped the ideal third for cap space. The 6ers, Raptors and Warriors had NO use for the "ideal third big". Why not?! I thought he was the ideal third big? Oh nevermind onto my next spurious declaration. The same arc will occur with Jackson. He is NOT good. I am not a hater then or now. I set aside my rooting bias long enough to see probabilities. I bet on the probabilities. It is a winning formula.
Tying JT to Jackson does not make your haterism valid. If you think Justin will crash and burn that's your opinion but you are constantly a detractor of him.

I can visibly see that J Jax is improving his shot just from looking at his stats, but since I'm only able to watch games when they're on National TV I can't tell what he looks like on defense. How is he doing on that end?

I know he lacks length, strength and is a bit of a tweener with his skill set, but is he looking capable?
He doesn’t lack length (6’11” wingspan) and has the most useful skill set for a modern player (hit the 3, defend multiple positions). I’m confused by your post.

This is an interesting post. I’m certainly intrigued in you if your credentials are what you say. To save some time on searching your archives, what were some of the other predictions you were 6-12 months ahead of? Any missed forecasts?

Last edited:
He’s teasing us. Quality stretches, followed by scrub stretches.. I think he can certainly fill out to being a solid 8th bench player, but is it time to hang the hat on him getting to solid starter status?

Jackson with one of his patented check almost zero boxes in the box score, games last night.

Vs. Detroit in 12 Minutes - 0 Pts, 0 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 0 Steals, 0 Blocks, 0 Fouls, 0 Turnovers

Last 5 Games only shooting .286% from the Field and .22% from 3 Pt while only averaging 1.8 Rebs and 1.2 Assists in 18 MPG

Those are pathetic numbers for a guy averaging 18 MIN Per Game over a 5 game stretch.

Granted his defense has been good in stretches during the last 5 games but people may want to back off on this "he's turned the corner" stuff. Blob continually looks to be correct on Jackson.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Jackson with one of his patented check almost zero boxes in the box score, games last night.

Vs. Detroit in 12 Minutes - 0 Pts, 0 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 0 Steals, 0 Blocks, 0 Fouls, 0 Turnovers

Last 5 Games only shooting .286% from the Field and .22% from 3 Pt while only averaging 1.8 Rebs and 1.2 Assists in 18 MPG

Those are pathetic numbers for a guy averaging 18 MIN Per Game over a 5 game stretch.

Granted his defense has been good in stretches during the last 5 games but people may want to back off on this "he's turned the corner" stuff. Blob continually looks to be correct on Jackson.
Hahahahahaha......made me laugh, thanks

That's why coach pulled his --- off the floor. When I defend JJ I'm not saying he's above criticism obviously, realistically I think a rotation player reserve 3 is his ceiling.