More on Justin Jackson (split from game thread)

Oubre is 448th out of 474 in RPM. Justin Jackson is 195th.

Oubre's VORP is -.4 while Jackson's is +.2.

The eye test tells you that Oubre is twice the player Jackson is but the advanced stats don't like him for whatever reason.
Yeah but Oubre dunked on the Kings for that rebound that one time. Thus, I can state that Oubre>Jackson.

All this thread tells me is Blob has no idea what sample size is.

I think over the years we have seen our fair share of useless players and then some, but JJ isn’t useless. He may not be a world beater, but he’s a decent and improving player on an up and coming squad. He’s beginning to hit his shots and is developing a good understanding of his game and how to use it. He’s a decent and willing passer but yet isn’t turnover prone, which means he has a good understanding of the game. He’s got his issues (consistency and needs to add strength), but he’s shown some good flashes and could be a good guy to back up the 3 spot in the future. He started out really rough but kudos to him for working hard and working himself back into the rotation.

This part here is for Blob in particular since he/she is the biggest JJ hater on here by a country mile.

Three point shooting percentage:
November: 41% (51% on 2 point shots)
December: 41%. (44% on 2 point shots)
January: 43% (43% on 2 point shots)

His 37% from 3 on the season is only due to his horrendous 6-29 start in October. Throw that out and JJ is a 40% plus shooter from downtown and has been for 2.5 months. That’s pretty awesome and that’s a fact, since you like facts so much. His 2 point shot percentage is decreasing but that’s because his percentage of shots assisted is decreasing so he’s adjusting to that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jacksju01/shooting/2019

I get you don’t think much of him, but really most of your hate on him isn’t backed up by any facts at all. JJ is improving on all accounts and I’m happy for him. The team seems to love him and if he’s shooting well it can only benefit the team.

Last edited:
I can visibly see that J Jax is improving his shot just from looking at his stats, but since I'm only able to watch games when they're on National TV I can't tell what he looks like on defense. How is he doing on that end?

I know he lacks length, strength and is a bit of a tweener with his skill set, but is he looking capable?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can visibly see that J Jax is improving his shot just from looking at his stats, but since I'm only able to watch games when they're on National TV I can't tell what he looks like on defense. How is he doing on that end?

I know he lacks length, strength and is a bit of a tweener with his skill set, but is he looking capable?
He has been a real surprise to me on defense. To answer your question, Yes. I think he's looking quite capable.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

His defense has been the real revelation. I think he's embraced/bought into his role which means he doesn't get pulled for trying to do too much and it has given him the confidence to hit the shots when called upon and focus on his strengths.

gunks

Hall of Famer
JJ was a beast in his limited minutes last night, even before he hit those two big 3s and his FG% was trash, he was making a positive impact out there with hustle plays and super aggressive defense.

Blob, just admit you were wrong! It's easy!

Thus far this season I was wrong about: Vlade, Joerger, our win total, Fox, and Bagley!

I love being wrong! Go Kings!

The kid grew up the second he successfully D’ed up Kevin freakin’ Durant as good as any normal human could.
He sure wore out Nick Stauskas on 1 possession last night. Sauce Castillo nearly turned the ball over twice trying to get away from JJ, then had to force up a one-legged desperation shot to beat the shot clock which looked like many of the shots he put up in a KINGS uniform. Way off target.

Suffocating defense.

Has he been playing both SF and PF?
Yes to both but limited minutes at PF especially now that everyone is healthy again.

I have said since the beginning that Jackson is solid on defense, and he has been stepping up from solid as of late.

He is no Ron Artest but he has been showing more aggression with his one on one defense. Since he has been here he used his positioning and length to hedge defend and funnel players away from the basket. Now he has been showing very good on ball defense from time to time to where the opponent doesn't get to drive. Instead they either pass out of it or lose the ball to a turnover.

He is an older 2nd year player, but he is showing that his game is not written in stone and that he is still improving. If he ever bulks up a little like I think he will he will get even better on the defensive end.

* Others opinions may be different than mine- and-thatsok.jpg

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
JJ was a beast in his limited minutes last night, even before he hit those two big 3s and his FG% was trash, he was making a positive impact out there with hustle plays and super aggressive defense.

Blob, just admit you were wrong! It's easy!

Thus far this season I was wrong about: Vlade, Joerger, our win total, Fox, and Bagley!

I love being wrong! Go Kings!
that's a lot of things to be wrong about mate....0_o

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He sure wore out Nick Stauskas on 1 possession last night. Sauce Castillo nearly turned the ball over twice trying to get away from JJ, then had to force up a one-legged desperation shot to beat the shot clock which looked like many of the shots he put up in a KINGS uniform. Way off target.

Suffocating defense.
might be one of those rare instances where he wasn't overpowered

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
To give myself sooooome credit, I was still in the "wait and see" camp on most of it, albeit trending towards pessimism. Expectations have been blown away this season.

But uh, yeah. I'm eating heaps of crow this year. Haha
your one of the first in line for the Crow Buffet it seems

He's been hitting his open shots at key moments. He is 6'8 with a pretty quick release and doesn't seem to have a hard time getting his shot off. He shows a good willingness to run the floor an play defense. He was an awesome college player, so none of this is a surprise. He is lacking in strength, but is better in that department than last year. I can see why the coaching staff and FO still like him. He is who we thought he was!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've got to give Christie some credit on the appraisal of JJ's defense. When I saw JJ in college I really liked his defense (and his offensive versatility). I liked the pick. Then, after a year and a quarter I was thinking this kid just isn't going to make it on D. But then Jackson turned the switch, the ignition went on, and my doubts have been very much eroded. A very similar situation to Buddy. Christie kept the faith. He kept talking about JJ's defensive potential. I'm like: What? I just don't see it, especially when opponents crossed him over he looked like he was in another county, much less on the same floor with the guy he was trying to defend. Christie knew his stuff and kept the faith and had patience. I really was starting to think in terms of bust. Christie knew best. The moral of the story for me: have more patience, especially on the defensive end of the floor