Monte McNair

That doesn't surprise me. There's no one that I see left on the FA market that is worth the Biannual or the non-taxpayer MLE if it means going above the first apron. The Kings have just enough wiggle room to sign two veteran minimum players to fill out the roster.

My guess is that Kessler Edwards is one since he provides 3/4 depth and then likely a third string center. At this point that means someone like Bismack Biyombo or even bringing back JaVale McGee for another season.

Okoro would be a great signing, but I can't see him taking the minimum. If you'd rather have shooting than defense you could opt for someone like Reggie Bullock, but he's more of a 2/3 than a 3/4.
They can't go above the first apron.

That doesn't surprise me. There's no one that I see left on the FA market that is worth the Biannual or the non-taxpayer MLE if it means going above the first apron. The Kings have just enough wiggle room to sign two veteran minimum players to fill out the roster.

My guess is that Kessler Edwards is one since he provides 3/4 depth and then likely a third string center. At this point that means someone like Bismack Biyombo or even bringing back JaVale McGee for another season.

Okoro would be a great signing, but I can't see him taking the minimum. If you'd rather have shooting than defense you could opt for someone like Reggie Bullock, but he's more of a 2/3 than a 3/4.
If one of the current wings go down or miss games, we are in BIG trouble. As currently constructed, it puts so much on Sabonis to rebound, play make, defend the rim. That is just begging for him to get hurt. SMH Monte.

I also think Huerters value is low now since a subpar last season then the injury. If he can be solid beginning next season plus being an expiring the following year , it may be a good time to strike for an upgrade at the 4 during the trade deadline.
If we wait until the trade deadline to get a serviceable forward we will have a terrible record.

Plus Monte doesn’t want o sh
If we wait until the trade deadline to get a serviceable forward we will have a terrible record.
There is a difference between a serviceable forward and an impact one, maybe we can get a serviceable one this offseason, don’t know. But yeah we are def thin up front and I do worry about Domas and his minutes and wear and tear.

Wait, you think that a lineup of:

Fox/McLaughlin/(Carter)
Ellis/Monk/Colby
DeRozan/Huerter
Keegan/Lyles/McDaniels
Sabonis/Len

would result in us having a terrible record at the deadline?
Are you assuming all the forwards stay healthy? If Keegan or Lyle’s go down we have no forward depth. Sorry mcdaniels wont cut it in a regular rotation. Sabonis will have to do even more work and is also more likely to get injured with no legit 4. Think about it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are still two open roster spots to fill out the rotation. As noted above, they'll need to be veteran minimum signings, but there are still some quality depth options out there.

C Sabonis/Len/??
PF Murray/Lyles/??
SF DeRozan/Huerter/McDaniels
SG Ellis/Jones/Carter
PG Fox/Monk/McDaniels

I expect Monk to eat up all the backup PG and some of the backup SG minutes and Huerter to get all the minutes behind DeRozan plus a few at SG. Lyles is the primary PF backup and may play some smallball five with Len getting all the other backup C minutes.

So the nine man rotation (assuming Keon still starts) is the starters plus Monk, Huerter, Lyles, and Len. With McDaniels as more of a big wing than a PF, it means the last two signings should be bigs.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Are you assuming all the forwards stay healthy? If Keegan or Lyle’s go down we have no forward depth. Sorry mcdaniels wont cut it in a regular rotation. Sabonis will have to do even more work and is also more likely to get injured with no legit 4. Think about it.
That seems awfully pessimistic. But bottom line, if our forwards end up ravaged by injuries, there doesn't appear to be any acquisition we could make at this point that would somehow fix it. Guys that can fix that kind of stuff aren't cheap, and they don't sit at the back end or out of a rotation.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That seems awfully pessimistic. But bottom line, if our forwards end up ravaged by injuries, there doesn't appear to be any acquisition we could make at this point that would somehow fix it. Guys that can fix that kind of stuff aren't cheap, and they don't sit at the back end or out of a rotation.
The Kings definitely need a couple big bodies as insurance, but outside of a team like the Celtics, most squads are going to struggle if they lose a key cog.

The Kings just need the kind of depth that can see them through a few games when necessary. For this team to have a chance of advancing their top 8/9 man rotation will need to be relatively healthy when the playoffs start.

Wait, you think that a lineup of:

Fox/McLaughlin/(Carter)
Ellis/Monk/Colby
DeRozan/Huerter
Keegan/Lyles/McDaniels
Sabonis/Len

would result in us having a terrible record at the deadline?
Colby based on summer league is likely to be cut.

Really we look like

Fox/ Monk / McLaughlin
Ellis / Huerter / Jones or Replacement
DeRozan / Huge ****ing hole
Keegan/Lyles/McDaniels
Sabonis/ Len / ??

Carter IR

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Colby based on summer league is likely to be cut.

Really we look like

Fox/ Monk / McLaughlin
Ellis / Huerter / Jones or Replacement
DeRozan / Huge ****ing hole
Keegan/Lyles/McDaniels
Sabonis/ Len / ??

Carter IR
Given where the Kings are with relation to the first apron I'd put the odds of Colby being cut close to 0%. His salary is guaranteed for next season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Given where the Kings are with relation to the first apron I'd put the odds of Colby being cut close to 0%. His salary is guaranteed for next season.
By "next season" I assume you mean '24-'25? According to Spotrac Colby's '25-'26 salary is not guaranteed.

I would also estimate Colby's chances of being cut this year at about 0%.

Failing to plan is planning to fail

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
By "next season" I assume you mean '24-'25? According to Spotrac Colby's '25-'26 salary is not guaranteed.

I would also estimate Colby's chances of being cut this year at about 0%.
Correct, he's guaranteed for this upcoming season. If I understand correctly, cutting him to sign someone else, even at the veteran minimum, would not be allowed as it would put the Kings above the first apron.

Failing to plan is planning to fail
So what is your plan??

I'd like to trade Huerter for a bigger wing as well, and it sounded like that was Monte's plan earlier this summer. But if that trade isn't currently available you move forward and figure out the next best option.

Which of our current assets should Monte be using to "plan" better? Huerter is the most obvious piece. If there isn't a market for him right now then who are we trading for a bench wing? Not Domas, Fox, DDR, Keegan, Monk, or Keon. Not Carter. Rumor is that we didn't trade the FRP for a wing precisely because Carter was available. Trading Lyles for a big wing or 4/5 isn't solving your depth problem. Len and McLaughlin are minimum players. Colby is interesting, but probably not moving any needles. McDaniels was just traded as matching salary.

So how exactly would you plan better than Monte? I think Monte's comments are more an indication that there isn't a viable Huerter plus draft capital trade out there for us right now, not that he is somehow content with the roster. But of course he is going to say he likes the roster. What else would he say? "Gosh, this roster has a hole at the 3/4, and I'd really love to trade Kevin, but no one values him right now so I'm gonna sit tight and hope he regains some value with rotation minutes and better health..."

Correct, he's guaranteed for this upcoming season. If I understand correctly, cutting him to sign someone else, even at the veteran minimum, would not be allowed as it would put the Kings above the first apron.
It depends on the amount. Once Monte waives all his cap holds the Kings should be around 8 million or so away from the apron? I think? The Kings are only over the tax threshold, not the apron right now even with the cap holds.

The Kings definitely need a couple big bodies as insurance, but outside of a team like the Celtics, most squads are going to struggle if they lose a key cog.

The Kings just need the kind of depth that can see them through a few games when necessary. For this team to have a chance of advancing their top 8/9 man rotation will need to be relatively healthy when the playoffs start.
Agree. It seems like the rotation depth on this team is probably (Monk, Huerter, Lyles, Len, McLaughlin). The non-rotation depth is probably Colby, McDaniels, and Carter (IR), with two spots left. The last two spots are obviously going to be big body minimum veterans. My guess is that some of the potential names include (* some of these guys may be off the board in the past few days, since I haven't been closely following):

- Achiuwa (though not sure why he'd take our vet minimum as opposed to someone else's)
- McGee
- Kessler
- Jae Crowder
- Chuma Okeke
- Anthony Gill
- RoCo
- Marcus Morris
- Bismack Biyombo
- Omer Yurtsven
- Orlando Robinson
- Poku
- Muscala
- Cody Zeller

Agree. It seems like the rotation depth on this team is probably (Monk, Huerter, Lyles, Len, McLaughlin). The non-rotation depth is probably Colby, McDaniels, and Carter (IR), with two spots left. The last two spots are obviously going to be big body minimum veterans. My guess is that some of the potential names include (* some of these guys may be off the board in the past few days, since I haven't been closely following):

- Achiuwa (though not sure why he'd take our vet minimum as opposed to someone else's)
- McGee
- Kessler
- Jae Crowder
- Chuma Okeke
- Anthony Gill
- RoCo
- Marcus Morris
- Bismack Biyombo
- Omer Yurtsven
- Orlando Robinson
- Poku
- Muscala
- Cody Zeller
It would be surprising if the Kings didn't have 2-3 extra guys in camp to look at. There might be some battles all up and down the rotation outside of the main core of Fox, Monk, Keegan, DeMar, and Domas come training camp.