Monte McNair

I actually think they want Keegan to bulk up like he has been to play the 4. Then again I was a big taken aback by Monte pumping up Domas perimeter defense.
Domas actually has done pretty well when switching out. We have to see if the defense at the end of last season continues or they go back to the sit down and help to the middle stuff that helped them become the 24th-28th best defense in the league lol.

DDR is miles better than HB. When has HB ever averaged what DDR has last season even at his age? We don’t need DDR to average 24-5-5 here. We need his clutch playmaking/scoring, decision making, and guidance as a real vet leader. He is leagues above HB in terms of performance. This isn’t a slight to HB who has been and will continue to be a decent player and a great pro, but let’s not minimize what we accomplished with this signing. We took a significant step forward while giving up very little on our end. May not be the ideal signing, but we didn’t mortgage our future for this move. That’s a major win.
I still can't believe how big of an upgrade we just got. If you would have told me this hours after DeMar broke our hearts right here in March (i was at that game, unfortunately) i certainly would not have believed you.

Domas actually has done pretty well when switching out. We have to see if the defense at the end of last season continues or they go back to the sit down and help to the middle stuff that helped them become the 24th-28th best defense in the league lol.
Domas improved soooo so much on the defensive end this past season. Gotta get the man some help up front so he isn't too exhausted to do anything on the offensive end at the end of games

dude12

Hall of Famer
The other thing to recognize is that Monte just improved the talent base without too much going out. HB had some value but not as much as DDR and he’s on the downside of his career. Add in Carter if Carter is anything like his comp Derrick White. And if Isaac Jones or Crawford or even Mason Jones hit as rotation pieces then it’s a grand slam off-season.
Now it’s up to Brown AND the players to get this done.

The Kings are still awfully thin and small in the 3/4/5 area. One major injury to one of our front court players could be devastating.

And I don’t think shipping out Huerter (our only legitimate back up 3) would be the answer. Trading Huerter would only thin our front court.

Monte needs to go out and sign one of the few remaining 3/4 or 4/5 free agents still on the market ASAP. The Kings have some cap space still and there are a few FA that makes a lot of sense for the Kings. FA like Cedi Osman, Precious Aichiwua, Doug McD or Gordon Hayward would make a ton of sense and wouldn’t break the bank to get.

Monte needs to go out and sign someone to fill in the depth in the front out ASAP before all the good options are gone.

The Kings are still awfully thin and small in the 4/5 area. One major injury to one of our front court players could be devastating.

And I don’t think shipping out Huerter (our only legitimate back up 3) would be the answer. Trading Huerter would only thin our front court.

Monte needs to go out and sign one of the few remaining 3/4 or 4/5 free agents still on the market ASAP. The Kings have some cap space still and there are a few FA that makes a lot of sense for the Kings. FA like Cedi Osman, Precious Aichiwua, Doug McD or Gordon Hayward would make a ton of sense and wouldn’t break the bank to get.

Monte needs to go out and sign someone to fill in the depth in the front out ASAP before all the good options are gone.
Really though, Huerter is not a "front court" player. He's a 2 or weak 3, who I wouldn't want matching up against a physical 3 or wing

Really though, Huerter is not a "front court" player. He's a 2 or weak 3, who I wouldn't want matching up against a physical 3 or wing
Huerter is literally the only experienced player that can play the 3 off the bench on the team right now. You trade him to get another backup 3 and we are still super thin at the 3. That’s why Monte should sign a veteran free agent 3/4.

Last edited:
Huerter is literally the only experienced player that can play the 3 off the bench on the team right now. You trade him to get another backup 3 and we are still super thin at the 3. That’s why Monte should sign a veteran free agent 3/4.
Jalen McDaniels has five years of experience and can play either small forward or power forward. He is 6' 9" and weighs 190 lbs. Kevin Huerter is 6' 7" and weighs 198 lbs. Huerter is the better shooter, McDaniels is the better rebounder and all-around defender.

Jalen McDaniels has five years of experience and can play either small forward or power forward. He is 6' 9" and weighs 190 lbs. Kevin Huerter is 6' 7" and weighs 198 lbs. Huerter is the better shooter, McDaniels is the better rebounder and all-around defender.
Having a pulse makes someone a better defender than Huerter. Teams seek him out for a reason.

Not sure if McDaniels will be in the rotation. Brown tends to favor players that can actually be a factor on the offensive side of the ball to play. McDaniels seems more like end of the bench player (12 to 15th man) to me.

If Davion (pre-last 25 games) and Kessler could hardly get off the bench for most of the season, not sure McDaniels will play any meaningful minutes.

I heard someone say the organization really liked Kessler. I think they are bringing him back unless the need the roster spot. I still remember his defense against Booker and wonder if there is something there.

I heard someone say the organization really liked Kessler. I think they are bringing him back unless the need the roster spot. I still remember his defense against Booker and wonder if there is something there.
Yeah, I like Kessler too. I don’t know why Brown doesn’t use him more. If Monte doesn’t sign another SF, Brown may be forced to play Kessler (if he is re-signed). His defense has always been stellar.

At the moment, "There are only two players over 6-foot-9: Centers Domantas Sabonis and Alex Len." We need another big. Only one of the four guys mentioned here is taller than 6' 8", namely David Bertans.

https://www.si.com/nba/kings/sacramento-kings-news/4-remaining-free-agents-kings-should-target
Well, hopefully after all these years dating back to when Len was with the team the first time Len is the backup center. He's more than earned it and last year showed his impact. I figure this is the kind of thing that will battled out in preseason camp. 2-3 guys getting a chance to be that 14th man/3rd big.

My thoughts, some repetition from before:

- I'm a big Len fan but they still need another Center or at least a 4' that can play center. Even if Len is the backup, injuries are a thing. If Sabonis or Len get hurt, gotta have another big to turn to besides "small ball Lyles"
- Kessler Edwards should be re-signed. He's pretty much the exact sort of depth piece they need. I see Dorian Finney-Smith mentioned - and though he's a good fit - I'm not so sure Edwards is not better than him right now. Defensively, Edwards is rising & Finney-Smith at age 31 is diminishing. Ironically, Finney-Smith was a nobody (draft wise, and potential wise) earlier in his career but then got minutes. I see a similar trajectory for Edwards if Brown will just play the dude
- Not opposed to a Huerter, pick deal for a better forward (Cam Johnson, John Collins maybe) but I can see the point of just keeping Huerter since his value is low given end of last season. And given Carter is out to start year
- Coaching is going to be big this year. They need to add some wrinkles to the offense, not just throw the ball to DeRozan to let him shoot 17 footers for example. Use dribble hand offs in a more creative way, experiment w/ bigger lineups (Let Len shoot 3's, run some sets where they kick out to Len at the perimeter, and he sets pick to free up someone else, etc.).

I'd like to see more of Lyles at the five when the matchups make sense. But the Kings are still very thin up front. Right now if Lyles went down there's nobody else that can really play PF.
Very True. I notice all the discussion about adding a big or a power forward who can play 5, when for some reason, Lyles seems to be pushed into the back ground.

Point being, "new" isn't necessarily better. Sure, add another back up big, but don't just assume that he's better than Lyles

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very True. I notice all the discussion about adding a big or a power forward who can play 5, when for some reason, Lyles seems to be pushed into the back ground.

Point being, "new" isn't necessarily better. Sure, add another back up big, but don't just assume that he's better than Lyles
Even though he shot it a bit better from three (at least in terms of percentage) Trey had a bit of a down year, but he's still a great backup big to have, especially for this team.

Even though he shot it a bit better from three (at least in terms of percentage) Trey had a bit of a down year, but he's still a great backup big to have, especially for this team.
Another point, I wasn't really in favor of the Vezenkov experiment. Thought it may have got in the way of Lyles a bit, who is a better overall NBA player and capable of shooting well enough, to make any difference there negligible.

If they're going to add a big, at least make him a physical big. In other words, not a Davis Bertans type

Yeah - I have no problem with Lyles being the backup 5 or playing some minutes there. Historically though, Brown hasn't done a lot of that. The bigger issue is that if you play Lyles as the backup 5 you probably need another backup 4 and you are pushing Len out of the rotation. The question becomes whether we are better off with our backup 4/5 being Lyles/Len or whether we are better off with ??? Free agent/Lyles, with Len out of the rotation.

Yeah - I have no problem with Lyles being the backup 5 or playing some minutes there. Historically though, Brown hasn't done a lot of that. The bigger issue is that if you play Lyles as the backup 5 you probably need another backup 4 and you are pushing Len out of the rotation. The question becomes whether we are better off with our backup 4/5 being Lyles/Len or whether we are better off with ??? Free agent/Lyles, with Len out of the rotation.
I want Brown and any coach to be flexible in using players in spots. Use Lyles as a 5 in situations. Play Len when you need full center size and against big 5's. Use someone like Edwards, when you need wing defense in a spot.

You can use strategic spot moves outside of your normal rotation. Even bringing someone else in, doesn't mean you forget about the strengths and advantages of each player available

Yeh that makes sense for now. See how the beginning of the season goes and reevaluate at the deadline. Still need more size and defense at some point but I think they are banking on a top 14 defense being sustainable and a return to near the top of the offensive ratings

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That doesn't surprise me. There's no one that I see left on the FA market that is worth the Biannual or the non-taxpayer MLE if it means going above the first apron. The Kings have just enough wiggle room to sign two veteran minimum players to fill out the roster.

My guess is that Kessler Edwards is one since he provides 3/4 depth and then likely a third string center. At this point that means someone like Bismack Biyombo or even bringing back JaVale McGee for another season.

Okoro would be a great signing, but I can't see him taking the minimum. If you'd rather have shooting than defense you could opt for someone like Reggie Bullock, but he's more of a 2/3 than a 3/4.