Monarchs sign Lisa Willis

SACRAMENTO MONARCHS SIGN GUARD LISA WILLIS TO SEVEN-DAY CONTRACT​
SACRAMENTO, CALIF., August 28, 2009 – The Sacramento Monarchs announced today the organization has signed guard Lisa Willis to a seven-day contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Willis, a 6’1” UCLA product, was originally selected by the Los Angeles Sparks in the first round (5th overall) of the 2006 WNBA Draft and played almost two seasons with the team. New York acquired her during the 2007 season in a trade for Sherill Baker on June 20. Wills finished the season with the Liberty and remained on the squad for the 2008 season before being waived on June 4, 2009. During the 2009 preseason, Willis appeared in all three games for New York averaging 15.0 minutes, 2.3 points, 0.7 rebounds, 0.7 assists and 0.3 steals per game. Through her three WNBA seasons, Willis has averaged 12.3 minutes, 4.6 points, 1.7 rebounds, 0.5 assists and 0.8 steals per game.

http://www.wnba.com/monarchs/news/press_release_august_28_2009.html

I really, really like Willis. Wish this was earlier, but I'll take what I can get. A 3 pt threat (kinda streaky, but when she's on, she's on) and a good defender. I assume this means Boddie is gone?

Welcome to the club, Lisa (what 'choo talkin' about) Willis! :)

(Sorry about that! It's the kind of pun that ESPN's Chris Berman might have done if he covered the WNBA!) :p

Good signing. It took her four years, but last year she finally showed good three point touch, and she's always been a feisty defender who gets in passing lanes. She's streaky, but this is only a 7-day contract, and she's young enough to improve.

Well, I'm not sure I see the point of denigrating Boddie who really wasn't brought in here to do anything but round out the roster. That said, Willis is a very nice add that I'd like to see be an audition.

Boddie technically wasn't let go, her 7-day contract expired yesterday and wasn't renewed. My first reaction this morning was Kara must be unhealthier than just day-to-day.

If that's the case, they've simply shut Kara down because I'm not sure how tendonitist takes you out for the year...um, I mean the next 3 weeks.

Mathematically the playoffs could still happen I suppose (for maybe the next 5 days it still could mathematically), but I see no reason to trot Kara back out onto the floor for two weeks of "playing to improve." the way her body has completely revolted against her all season.

Well, I'm not sure I see the point of denigrating Boddie who really wasn't brought in here to do anything but round out the roster. That said, Willis is a very nice add that I'd like to see be an audition.

Boddie technically wasn't let go, her 7-day contract expired yesterday and wasn't renewed. My first reaction this morning was Kara must be unhealthier than just day-to-day.
not denigrating her, that was not the intent. but she wasn't being used by whiz hence it was a boddie....er...body not being used hence any player "could" be considered an "upgrade"

they could be considered an upgrade if they play more than she does. since there may be an opening at the 2 guard spot the rest of the way, Willis may very well be more of a contributor than Boddie.