Monarchs' Bench

Though this has not gone unnoticed, it's really remarkable to see how impressive and productive the bench has been for Sacramento. And it's not just 1 or 2 players--every one of the 11 players on the roster is averaging over 8 minutes a game (1/5 of a game) and 9 are averaging double digit minutes. This means that there is only one player on the Monarchs (Yo) averaging over 30 minutes a game, and she's barely doing that at 30.8. Not only does this bench make the Monarchs more versatile, but it keeps the starters fresh, which is why I believe the team has been able to win a lot of close games down the stretch. This will also aid them as they go on long road trips and have to play back-to-back games. Furthermore, the bench accounts for nearly 30% of the Monarch's points, 28% of the rebounds, 35% of the assists, and 33% of the minutes. Coach W obviously did a very good job in assembling players who could all play a role in the team's success.

I agree, bbsamjj, the bench has been a key this season. I love the attitude, hustle and unselfishness of the second unit. If anything, sometimes they are a little too unselfish. The statistics you cite are impressive, but that doesn't even convey the defensive effort, diving for balls, and other intangibles that don't show up in the box score. I also agree with the fresh legs theory. I remember when Sonny Allen would run his starters into the ground and by the end of the season they were ragged. It will be interesting to see if the reduced minutes pay off towards the end of the season.