Mock Draft Kings #2 lists

One thing being lost is that, even though the league has changed, due to the stars changing what they bring to the table, you still have a bevy of retread coaches. They get shuffled around, rinse repeat. Until there is a Brad Stevens or Steve Kerr who knows how to win in today's league utilizing a big, the Warrior/Rockets/Sun's SSOL model is going to prevail.

Really hoping Coach Joerger doesn't let me down this season as far as showing an aptitude for adjusting to his players and the league, rather than pounding the square peg into a round hole. I like him better than anyone since RA.

I see nbadraft.net most recent has Doncic dropping to 6, while Young goes 3.
They have Bagley to the Kings.
I wonder where these people get their info.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I see nbadraft.net most recent has Doncic dropping to 6, while Young goes 3.
They have Bagley to the Kings.
I wonder where these people get their info.
I don't know, but nbadraft.net has rarely been wrong leading up to the draft. I compared their #2 picks on their mock drafts going back to 2006 with the actual picks and I only found two instances where they guessed incorrectly. Now the question I have is when were those mocks done? A day prior to the draft? I would suspect so. For fun I'm going to check their mock draft the day prior to this draft.

Mock drafts are a bit reliable just hours before draft.
I don't care about them since a couple of days before.
Actually, draftexpress was the only good one.

I don't know, but nbadraft.net has rarely been wrong leading up to the draft. I compared their #2 picks on their mock drafts going back to 2006 with the actual picks and I only found two instances where they guessed incorrectly. Now the question I have is when were those mocks done? A day prior to the draft? I would suspect so. For fun I'm going to check their mock draft the day prior to this draft.
They preserve their "final" mock draft which goes up either the day before or the day of the draft.

NBA.net has a really poor track record of predicting the draft. DX was usually very accurate at the end, presumably because they had/have NBA sources.

By the time draft day rolls around almost everyone has a very good idea who the first two picks will be. Off the top of my head some exceptions were the 1999 draft when the Bulls kept a pretty tight lid on things before taking Elton Brand (and then the Grizzlies taking Francis even though he made it clear he didn't want to play in Vancouver) and then in 2008 when the Cavs made the surprise move of taking Anthony Bennett #1.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They preserve their "final" mock draft which goes up either the day before or the day of the draft.

NBA.net has a really poor track record of predicting the draft. DX was usually very accurate at the end, presumably because they had/have NBA sources.

By the time draft day rolls around almost everyone has a very good idea who the first two picks will be. Off the top of my head some exceptions were the 1999 draft when the Bulls kept a pretty tight lid on things before taking Elton Brand (and then the Grizzlies taking Francis even though he made it clear he didn't want to play in Vancouver) and then in 2008 when the Cavs made the surprise move of taking Anthony Bennett #1.
I'm not really concerned with the performance history of nba.net for the entire draft. I'm just concerned with their history of success when it comes to the #2 pick, and it's very good. And yes, Bennett was a surprise for them.

I'm not really concerned with the performance history of nba.net for the entire draft. I'm just concerned with their history of success when it comes to the #2 pick, and it's very good. And yes, Bennett was a surprise for them.
My only point is that right before the draft almost everyone knew who the first two picks would be. I don't believe they have any special predictive power.

Just a couple days before the actual drafts they had both Been McLemore and Thomas Robinson as the #2 picks in their respective drafts before changing them just before the actual draft.

I guess on the plus side they haven't been caught editing them AFTER the drafts like Chad Ford . . .

My take heading down the stretch to NBA draft 4 PM PT Thursday:

Early mock drafts seemed to be settled mostly on Doncic #2. Later on some drifted away with Bagley quite often the choice. There were rumors Ranadive was pulling strings promoting Duke star as Kings selection. But it was said Vlade and Peja and others in FO were seemingly on board for Doncic. Now as the big day is near I am solidly on board too - Doncic all the way. But the 19 year old kid to be permanently banned from In-N-Out Burger, late night Taco Bell and all the other junk food hangouts :p

Christie backed off the Porter thing yesterday after it came out that Porter hasn't released medical records. None of the mock drafts have moved Porter up either. It is confusing what the talk is all about from the Kings organization.

If Kings were picking at #7, it's a no brainer. They would go with Porter because he has Superstar potential and they're clearly enamored with him. The risk being his back and we haven't seen him play college ball. You might be able to justify the risk at 7. But with the #2 Vlade has to be 100% sure of Porter now, even if we traded back. Because if he's wrong, it's sets the franchise back tremendously and Vlade loses his job. Might be that any GM of a lottery team could lose their job if they pick Porter and his back is bad. Which may explain why Woj predicts Porter could fall back to as low as 15. Not sure what Porter's agent is thinking with hiding his medical records.
I'd like to hear some others interpret what Doug was saying today about Porter's medical records. Your interpretation and mine are very different, although I may not have been paying as close attention to it as you. I thought Doug was saying that Porter should have been an open-book about his medical records but wasn't an open book about it. But I didn't hear Doug saying (or clearly implying) that Porter was "hiding his medical records" from potential draft suitors. Did I miss something? Or are you just taking some dramatic license?

Didn't saw this posted here. Here's a quote in the PHX Suns RealGM forum about the Kings.

"Givony also said that the Kings have had almost every top prospect work to get away from them. Bagley's the only one that has worked out for them, and apparently Bamba, JJJ, and Doncic aren't providing their medicals to them."

Probably explains why Bamba and JJJ has not stepped in for a workout. But I have doubt on the Doncic part Vlade and Co has already traveled and met with the kid after Kings has known they are going for #2.

If Kings are not picking Bagley, maybe Vlade has kidnapped these prospect the Serbian way and let them workout in a cold warehouse behind a butcher's freezer.

I'd like to hear some others interpret what Doug was saying today about Porter's medical records. Your interpretation and mine are very different, although I may not have been paying as close attention to it as you. I thought Doug was saying that Porter should have been an open-book about his medical records but wasn't an open book about it. But I didn't hear Doug saying (or clearly implying) that Porter was "hiding his medical records" from potential draft suitors. Did I miss something? Or are you just taking some dramatic license?
Did you intend to post this earlier? I'm confused.

You're reading too much into my 2 week old post. I didn't quote Doug or imply that "hiding" were his words. The draft discussion is fluid and new information comes out every day about the draftees. At the time, the information was exactly what I said. Chicago medical staff were going to examine Porter and release the results and that would be the extent of the medica records l teams would see.

Entity

Hall of Famer
i Would love to have Doncic with Bagley. hoping maybe we trade Bogdan and WCS to Memphis for the #4 and take both. that makes sense to me. Doncic alone doesn't make sense to me as far as need. I want a guy that you know each night he is gonna get you 17+. We haven't had that since Cousins got traded. to me thats what was missing last year. Id rather it come from the SF spot since we are thin there. I guess thats why i was eyeing Porter. Althought i think Bagley is more a sure thing than Porter. Doncic at SF would work well with Buddy and Bagley though which is why i want the #4

Fox
Buddy
Doncic
Giles
Bagley

Here's this year's Sports Illustrated article with quotes from anonymous scouts about the top prospects.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c...-scouts-trae-young-luka-doncic-michael-porter

Just like with fans, there's a pretty big variance in opinions around some of these guys.

And some offhand comments about the Kings being an organization/environment that isn't conducive to player development. It's frustrating but I don't blame agents for trying to steer guys away from Sacramento.

Winning will be the only thing that repairs the franchise's reputation.

Here's this year's Sports Illustrated article with quotes from anonymous scouts about the top prospects.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c...-scouts-trae-young-luka-doncic-michael-porter

Just like with fans, there's a pretty big variance in opinions around some of these guys.

And some offhand comments about the Kings being an organization/environment that isn't conducive to player development. It's frustrating but I don't blame agents for trying to steer guys away from Sacramento.

I agree it is hard to fault the agents for wanting to avoid Sac. I'd do the same even for non-basketball reasons. hmm... you can be a rich young man in Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando, Chicago..... or Sacramento. Up to you? I know which one I'd pick. We shouldn't take it personally. Maybe Cleveland and DC would lose out on lifestyle (maybe not).

I agree it is hard to fault the agents for wanting to avoid Sac. I'd do the same even for non-basketball reasons. hmm... you can be a rich young man in Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando, Chicago..... or Sacramento. Up to you? I know which one I'd pick. We shouldn't take it personally. Maybe Cleveland and DC would lose out on lifestyle (maybe not).
Humidity or real cold weather vs dry heat in Sacramento? Tahoe, SF, LA and Vegas is a short flight away. There is more to life than the big city.

Humidity or real cold weather vs dry heat in Sacramento? Tahoe, SF, LA and Vegas is a short flight away. There is more to life than the big city.
want to be clear: I like it here. I grew up in San Diego and like it here. I live in the foothills and although the summer is dreadful - I like it here. Very much and only thing that could drive me away is CA state taxes - not lifestyle.

BUT I doubt most aspiring NBA players choose Sacramento among their top 27 cities though. Maybe not among top 29. Just the way it is... CWebb cried on the plane coming over the pastures to land in Sac lol... "but hey they have a PF Changs in Roseville - I like that"

Being picked top 3 is a prestige thing that I don't think any agent would truly avoid. Kings secretly met with Doncic who has also said he'd love to play with Bogs. That he isn't giving anyone private medical exams while in the middle of his playoffs really shouldn't be a shock, but somehow it's only the Kings that he's denied this too. These stories are at least partially BS if not complete BS.

want to be clear: I like it here. I grew up in San Diego and like it here. I live in the foothills and although the summer is dreadful - I like it here. Very much and only thing that could drive me away is CA state taxes - not lifestyle.

BUT I doubt most aspiring NBA players choose Sacramento among their top 27 cities though. Maybe not among top 29. Just the way it is... CWebb cried on the plane coming over the pastures to land in Sac lol... "but hey they have a PF Changs in Roseville - I like that"
Another reason to pick European guys who are on average less picky about that, as in Europe you have less comfort than in the NBA of course.
I got lots of fun stories on this topic as well, a friend of mine used to be the gm in a team with a glorious past and a "ok" present.
For example, in the recent years an ex-Spurs player before coming to Europe asked if he needed to bring a gun as well.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Definitely. The Kings are like a throwaway gag line for a writer or talking head who wants to appear smart but doesn't know what to say. Talking about those bizarre, dysfunctional or inept Kings is as good a "filler" as any for trying to appear smart and superior. It sure would be nice if this team could take a big jump up in wins next year to give them less material.

By the way, speaking of player development I'd say that Buddy Hield is an excellent example of good player development for the Kings staff. WCS? Not so much. But your great sculptures usually aren't made out of silly putty.