MLB Thread - 2022

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well, the A's have reverted to looking like a team with a $35 million salary. There's really only about 3 good hitters on this team. The good news though is that there's enough good pitchers on the roster and in the minors that they should have a pretty quick turnaround if they can hit on a few more of their position-player prospects.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’d say #BeatLA but they already beat us when it mattered last year and they’re clearly the more talented team again. Just defeated by all of LA being great.

At least LeBron borked the Lakers for awhile I guess.

The B in Bart stands for BUST. Should have traded him.
Meh. As usual, way too soon to make any determinations after 62 PA lol. And basically the problem is the unreasonably high strikeouts; everything else in his profile is extremely good. When he does make contact (rare this season, I know), he's squaring it up hitting it extremely hard. He's showing some ability to draw BB's (16.9% BB rate so far), which is encouraging. Tied for 3rd with 3 HR's, tied for 2nd with 10 BB's. 4th in wRC+ and 3rd in wOBA among 30 catcher with 50 PA this season. Which is crazy he's still rating that highly in important stats with how absurdly high the K's are.

Need to wait it out if he can get the K's under control. Even like 30% K rate with everything else holding somewhat steady would be an All-star caliber catcher. And just can't give up on his pedigree so soon.

The B in Bart stands for BUST. Should have traded him.
Meh. As usual, way too soon to make any determinations after 62 PA lol. And basically the problem is the unreasonably high strikeouts; everything else in his profile is extremely good. When he does make contact (rare this season, I know), he's squaring it up hitting it extremely hard. He's showing some ability to draw BB's (16.9% BB rate so far), which is encouraging. Tied for 3rd with 3 HR's, tied for 2nd with 10 BB's. 4th in wRC+ and 3rd in wOBA among 30 catcher with 50 PA this season. Which is crazy he's still rating that highly in important stats with how absurdly high the K's are.

Need to wait it out if he can get the K's under control. Even like 30% K rate with everything else holding somewhat steady would be an All-star caliber catcher. And just can't give up on his pedigree so soon.
Too soon. Baseball players kind of have this weird tendency to get into some serious funks throughout their playing careers. A good player eventually finds his way out of those funks. Let's first see if Bart is able to find his way out of the funk before passing final judgment.

Last edited:
To soon. Baseball players kind of have this weird tendency to get into some serious funks throughout their playing careers. A good player eventually finds his way out of those funks. Let's first see if Bart is able to find his way out of the funk before passing final judgment.
I mean, it's even too soon to say he's in a "funk". He's had 62 PA this year and 111 PA 2 years ago. We have no idea what the baseline actually is.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I mean, it's even too soon to say he's in a "funk". He's had 62 PA this year and 111 PA 2 years ago. We have no idea what the baseline actually is.
The baseline is “not that good”

Dudes a 25 year old rookie who never tore up the minors despite maintaining his top prospect status somehow.

The baseline is “not that good”

Dudes a 25 year old rookie who never tore up the minors despite maintaining his top prospect status somehow.
I mean, go off if you think 180 MLB plate appearances mean anything. Sure, maybe he ends up sucking, but my guess is if (more like when. I'm pretty sure a 45%K rate is verging on the worst of all time. Seems unlikely to hold steady) the K's get under control, he'll be a top 10 hitting catcher.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bochy has de-aged some 10 years since he stopped managing. Good for him. He was looking rough at the end of his Giants tenure.

Of course Dubon heating up right as he's on the DFA bubble with our other guys getting healthy. Nice to see Slater raking too.

And Rodon just might be the best strikeout pitcher in baseball. Just utterly disgusting stuff and I think he's the way too early contender for the Cy Young.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Of course Dubon heating up right as he's on the DFA bubble with our other guys getting healthy. Nice to see Slater raking too.

And Rodon just might be the best strikeout pitcher in baseball. Just utterly disgusting stuff and I think he's the way too early contender for the Cy Young.
It’s so sad he’s immediately priced himself out of the Giants comfort zone.

Trade him for someone’s entire farm.

It’s so sad he’s immediately priced himself out of the Giants comfort zone.

Trade him for someone’s entire farm.
Yeah, we'll see. Giants are very analytically inclined and Rodon is blowing every metric out the water. His stuff has gotten better this year with the 96+MPH fastball.

If the Giants were ever to spend big money on a player, it'd should be for what Rodon has been so far this year. My thought was they're waiting for Ohtani in 2024 (to line up with all the prospects being up), but I thnik Rodon should be playing his way into that tier too.