Mike Brown Introductory Press Conference

Jason Jones with the cynicism - and while I sort of agree - think it's worth noting Fox's defensive impact was at it's worst under Walton/ Walton & Gentry. Figure is Fox's D-Lebron vs guards per season.

View attachment 11096
My comp for Fox coming out of college was a better scoring Gary Payton. He ditched the defensive side of the ball and tried to become Russ 2.0, but without the motor. The physical tools are all there to be an elite defender. But the will n mindset? I’m not holding my breath.

My comp for Fox coming out of college was a better scoring Gary Payton. He ditched the defensive side of the ball and tried to become Russ 2.0, but without the motor. The physical tools are all there to be an elite defender. But the will n mindset? I’m not holding my breath.
Ham had some stat he threw out in one of his podcasts a few weeks ago that had Fox ranked near the top defensively against the best scoring guards in the game last year. That kinda lines up with him elevating his game against guys like Ja. It’s as if it’s a motivational problem. I won’t hold my breath, but maybe a guy like Brown can get through to him.

Ham had some stat he threw out in one of his podcasts a few weeks ago that had Fox ranked near the top defensively against the best scoring guards in the game last year. That kinda lines up with him elevating his game against guys like Ja. It’s as if it’s a motivational problem. I won’t hold my breath, but maybe a guy like Brown can get through to him.
Yeah how often was he guarding the best scoring guards? I would like to see Fox is he's capable of it dropping his PPG to like 16-18ppg and being a above average defender all the time rather than dropping 22+ and never playing D. On leak out's after contesting (playing good D) and fastbreak situations he should easily be scoring 6-10ppg alone with his speed.

The whole motivational problem has been one gigantic Kings fans cope about everything wrong with the Kings every year, e.g they only play well against good teams (still lose against them) and this other type of nonsense rather than accepting the team or player is not talented or kind of sucks.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think it's specifically Ja and Ball who he has turned up against. You know, the PG drafted before him and the one drafted the following year that eclipsed him.

The huge regression after Joerger was let go says a lot to me. Brown can do this.

I like Mike Brown as Coach. He played the game at a high enough level to speak of it, even in jest:) (Locking up DC his Junior year).

He seems like a motivational Coach who will use practical examples of players history to improve the defense. One example is Fox could be a problem for other teams if he puts his effort to the defensive side of the ball. As KB02 said, "A better scoring Gary Payton."

Hoping Coach can bring the "Dog" out in the Kings defense. Or as Pop said, "Show me some Nasty!"

I think it's specifically Ja and Ball who he has turned up against. You know, the PG drafted before him and the one drafted the following year that eclipsed him.

The huge regression after Joerger was let go says a lot to me. Brown can do this.
Last season Middleton was killing us in the first half. Fox asked to guard him in the second half and pretty much shut him down.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Some things that made a big impression on me:

Mike Brown exudes confidence. He's not uncertain what he wants to do. He knows what he wants and needs to do. He is very comfortable in his own skin and he's ready to lead.

The fact that Brown took a plane trip just before Memorial Day weekend to see Fox practice in San Diego and talk to him speaks volumes. He knows Fox's potential defensively; he thought he "was a dog defensively" all the way back in high school. Now, he's going to put pressure on him "to get back" to where he knows he can be.

Brown has been doing two jobs for over a month - HC of the Kings and Warriors assistant coach. He's talked to all the Kings' players on multiple occasions. He's ready to go. He's truly excited to be the new head coach of the Sacramento Kings. Let's go!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Brown has been doing two jobs for over a month - HC of the Kings and Warriors assistant coach. He's talked to all the Kings' players on multiple occasions. He's ready to go. He's truly excited to be the new head coach of the Sacramento Kings. Let's go!
It's impressive, I thought he was going to finish his duties then assume the job, but it sure seems he has been doing everything but the public facing side of the job this whole time. I love it. Also if any indication his post games may be must see.

It's impressive, I thought he was going to finish his duties then assume the job, but it sure seems he has been doing everything but the public facing side of the job this whole time. I love it. Also if any indication his post games may be must see.
Soooooooo....Does this mean that you are volunteering your services to provide a "play-by-play" analysis of his post game press conferences for us less fortunate ones who may not be able to watch the games??? :p:p:p

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Soooooooo....Does this mean that you are volunteering your services to provide a "play-by-play" analysis of his post game press conferences for us less fortunate ones who may not be able to watch the games??? :p:p:p
I'll probably be getting them from clips and streams I'm optimistic but I'm not ready to commit to league pass yet.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Some things that made a big impression on me:

Mike Brown exudes confidence. He's not uncertain what he wants to do. He knows what he wants and needs to do. He is very comfortable in his own skin and he's ready to lead.

The fact that Brown took a plane trip just before Memorial Day weekend to see Fox practice in San Diego and talk to him speaks volumes. He knows Fox's potential defensively; he thought he "was a dog defensively" all the way back in high school. Now, he's going to put pressure on him "to get back" to where he knows he can be.

Yeah, I concur. I was on board with Mike Brown already after I looked into his coaching resume but he absolutely nailed everything he needed to say in that press conference. He's not just here to collect a pay check-- he has a plan, he's already building relationships with the players, he knows that improving the team defense is the priority and that starts with holding De'Aaron Fox accountable. It helps that he's not just blowing hot air -- when he tells players they're not measuring up to his expectations he'll have 4 championship rings to back him up. He can tell them about coaching Lebron, coaching Kobe, coaching Steph, coaching Tim Duncan. That's someone you listen to, even when he's telling you things you don't want to hear.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I typically get those post game pressers, so I'll post about them, no doubt. I can't commit though to posting on every single one of them.

Mike Brown throwing down the expectations
A few months ago there was talk on here about what the All Blacks rugby team does that the Sacramento Kings don't. When the All Black coach Steve Hansen visited the US, he told NFL staff he spoke with expectation is a privilege. This is what's been missing (... alongside talent and depth).

“You can go ask (Warriors general manager) Bob Myers. Throughout my six years with the Warriors, he would ask me, ‘What would be the one thing that you look for if you were to get a head (coaching) job in the future?’ I’d say, ‘The relationship has got to be there with the GM and the head coach.’ ‘If that relationship is not there, you have no chance. You have no shot. And you have to feel that, within that relationship, there’s a mutual respect which can lead into trust over time between the two guys. And that doesn’t mean we have to agree all the time. But with that mutual respect — which can turn into trust — at least if we disagree, when we walk out that door, we’re gonna be on the same page. We’re fighting for the same thing.”

I finally was able to watch Mike Brown's Press Conference earlier today (I actually put it on my personal laptop in the "background" while I was also working away.

I think we may have hit the jackpot. He had so many great quotes throughout, that I lost count of how many times the guy made me crack a smile while listening to him talk.

And Monte...You could just hear the excitement in his voice.

Watching/listening to the press conference has only increased my level of excitement for the draft in a few hours.

Mike Brown could very well end up going down as the 2nd best head coach in Sacramento Kings history. I won't give him the number one spot just yet, though. He has to earn that.

And so it begins. The Kings have a new coach, new players, and a new stadium.
They fill us full of hope.
Then they famously under achieve.