Mike Brown hired as Head Coach

Good thing?

• Total voters
I'm so confused as to when a winning season for a head coach counts and when it doesn't.
I get the sarcasm but I think most people are wanting a coach who wasn't handed wins the easy way. A guy like McMillan who shows up and almost always makes the team better the minute he gets there would be an easy read for most people since his success in improving teams is very obvious.

Brown is a big question mark to many. Basically every coach has won with Lebron so it's difficult to judge what he did in Cleveland. The Lakers had a significant downtick in performance the year he took over but they also didn't have Odom that year. Either way, they won 16 less games with the same amount of losses as the previous year under Jackson so Odom doesn't account for 16 extra wins. Not the best look there.

The Warriors have consistently been one of the better defensive teams with Brown as an assistant but they also have the Lebron James of defense on that squad as well. Hard to tell but the Warriors players seem to go a bit above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to complimenting his coaching style so there has to be something there.

Lots of question marks with him but they certainly could have done worse.

I get the sarcasm but I think most people are wanting a coach who wasn't handed wins the easy way. A guy like McMillan who shows up and almost always makes the team better the minute he gets there would be an easy read for most people since his success in improving teams is very obvious.

Brown is a big question mark to many. Basically every coach has won with Lebron so it's difficult to judge what he did in Cleveland. The Lakers had a significant downtick in performance the year he took over but they also didn't have Odom that year. Either way, they won 16 less games with the same amount of losses as the previous year under Jackson so Odom doesn't account for 16 extra wins. Not the best look there.

The Warriors have consistently been one of the better defensive teams with Brown as an assistant but they also have the Lebron James of defense on that squad as well. Hard to tell but the Warriors players seem to go a bit above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to complimenting his coaching style so there has to be something there.

I get it. But a coach has to play the hand he is dealt and it's way easier to mess up a situation as the coach, than it is to maintain or improve a team.

Phil Jackson is a tough act to follow and unique. Brown wasn't going to step in and get the same results or improve on the situation. The Lakers have been through 5 coaches and added Lebron James and AD and still haven't cracked Phil Jacksons best season with the team.

Brown isn't a flashy hire and I'm sure it makes people nervous. The big name coaches aren't available and not walking through that door if they were. Sacramento is a place coaches come to resurrect their careers or die. Last chance U. Brown is as safe as it gets when you consider it from that angle.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Brown isn't a flashy hire and I'm sure it makes people nervous. The big bame coaches aren't available and not walking through that door if they were. Sacramento is a place coaches come to resurrect their careers or die. Last chance U. Brown is as safe as it gets when you consider it from that angle.
Brown is a coach with as much to prove as any of the other assistant coaches we were considering. The only difference is he coached a superstar early in his career helping mold him into a star and another in the twilight of his career when that player wasn't receptive to a coach looking to hold players accountable.

For a team that just wants to be respectable I think he is a good hire. We can argue what next if we stagnate after reaching the playoffs.

I get it. But a coach has to play the hand he is dealt and it's way easier to mess up a situation as the coach, than it is to maintain or improve a team.

Phil Jackson is a tough act to follow and unique. Brown wasn't going to step in and get the same results or improve on the situation. The Lakers have been through 5 coaches and added Lebron James and AD and still haven't cracked Phil Jacksons best season with the team.

Brown isn't a flashy hire and I'm sure it makes people nervous. The big name coaches aren't available and not walking through that door if they were. Sacramento is a place coaches come to resurrect their careers or die. Last chance U. Brown is as safe as it gets when you consider it from that angle.
The other thing is NBA fans think there has been about 7 good coaches in the history of the league.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

I've been stumping for Nate McMillan as the next coach of the Kings for at least 10 years but he's already got a gig. We can only hire a coach who is currently available. My preference was to go with one of the top assistants, but there's just as much uncertainty there. Mike Brown is himself a top assistant, he just also happens to have been a head coach before and he was good at it.

He wasn't handed an already good Cavs team, they had just gone 42-40 the year before and LeBron was only 21 years old. Many top prospects have floundered trying to translate their individual brilliance into team success early in their career. The only reason Mike Brown was fired from that job is that he helped get them to the Finals in his second year and then couldn't get them back. As Kings fans we should already understand how unrealistic expectations from ownership can sink a coaching staff.

Also, coaching Kobe's Lakers for one season after Phil Jackson retired is hardly indicative of anything. Kobe probably hand-picked him because of his reputation as a hard-nosed defensive guy and then undermined him every step of the way. The following season they added Steve Nash and swapped Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard in his prime and somehow got even worse (Brown was fired after just 5 games).

I think if you look at who is available right now, you can make a strong argument that Mike Brown was the best NBA head coach available. It's possible one of the top assistants will ultimately be better but we don't know that right now and they could just as easily be worse. Even a lot worse.

I think this is how I'm choosing to view this hire now. McNair and Brown are a tandem that are steady and focused. Neither too high nor too low as both personalities and strategists. After the churn of competing egos and incompatible GM/head coach pairings across the last decade, it will be nice to just see the franchise function with a degree of normalcy and competency.
Just like our last successful GM/HC duo.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I look forward to the day when I don’t have to ready 5000 Kangz comments in every NBA article I read. I’m officially over that
I'll drink to this! It was fun for a little while when it was just our thing but that time ended about 6 years ago when the chorus of general NBA fans ran it into the ground. Somehow they still think it's either funny or clever -- it's really not.

Yeah, but Joshua said Brown is a sucker coach who only won because of *prime* LeBron and Kobe.

So I think we just disregard what top 3 NBA defender Draymond Green has to say and lean into the Joshua POV
What Green has to say has zero bearing on wins/losses in regards to the Kings. LeBron said plenty of great stuff about Mclemore as well......

What Green has to say has zero bearing on wins/losses in regards to the Kings. LeBron said plenty of great stuff about Mclemore as well......
Duh.

But I'll take Draymond's word that Mike Brown is a very very good defensive coach over anyone's random opinion on this forum where the extent of the analysis is W-L record and "Brown had LeBron/Kobe, so nothing he did counts"

How Brown builds his staff will definitely be interesting. Will he poach from the Warriors? Will he retain any of the current assistants, many of whom are more tied to Sacramento than to the outgoing Walton regime?

But I also agree that Mason’s tweet is not exactly a great transcription of or way to read the quote.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't think he will poach too heavily from the Warriors but I bet one or two come along. I am sure he will be poaching from the larger Pop family though. So maybe look at younger assistants in SA, MIL and BOS along with the dubs. Possibly Denver too since Malone was his assistant in Cleveland.

What is also interesting depending on who he brings over is Walton going rejoin the Warriors?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think he will poach too heavily from the Warriors but I bet one or two come along. I am sure he will be poaching from the larger Pop family though. So maybe look at younger assistants in SA, MIL and BOS along with the dubs. Possibly Denver too since Malone was his assistant in Cleveland.

What is also interesting depending on who he brings over is Walton going rejoin the Warriors?
Wouldn’t be shocked if they shifted Atkinson back to defensive coordinator and brought back Alvin.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's fun reading conflicting info between different reports. Like the Chron article says he's been the defense guy since 2017 but another article suggested he was involved with the offense until this year when he rebuilt the defense. I saw something somewhere that said Kerr's assistants help set the rotations but here it says Kerr is making all the calls while resting.

But yes, that 23 assistants is a number far larger than we've ever seen implied in the Kings org. Obviously they have video teams and stuff and maybe that's where the number comes from but it seems like our known "assistant" ranks hover around ~5.

How Brown builds his staff will definitely be interesting. Will he poach from the Warriors? Will he retain any of the current assistants, many of whom are more tied to Sacramento than to the outgoing Walton regime?

But I also agree that Mason’s tweet is not exactly a great transcription of or way to read the quote.
Rico and Lindsay were mentioned as possible holdovers but not Doug. I wish Doug could get more experience with the kings but I can see brown not wanting to have to look over his shoulder with a lot of people wanting Doug to be the head coach here.