Mavs' Howard ejected after altercation with Miller

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271016023

Howard could face suspension after preseason altercation

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (ESPN.com news services) -- The Dallas Mavericks and Sacramento Kings didn't take their preseason game lightly on Tuesday, with players getting into a shoving match.

In the second quarter Kings center Brad Miller got tangled with the Mavs' Devin Harris going for a rebound and shoved the guard to the ground. Dallas forward Josh Howard rushed from the other end of the court and delivered a hard forearm to Miller's neck. Coaches and players intervened and Howard was pulled away from the fray.

Howard was ejected from the game, which Dallas won 101-99 on a Jason Terry 3-pointer with four seconds left.

Howard also received a flagrant foul two, which does not carry an automatic suspension, but the fifth-year pro could theoretically miss the opener on Oct. 31 at Cleveland. The NBA will review the incident.

"I was protecting my teammate -- that's about as simple as you can put it," Howard said, according to The Dallas Morning News. "It was a dirty play, and it wasn't even Devin [who was at fault]."

Mavericks coach Avery Johnson does not think Howard will receive a suspension.

"We'll see what happens," he said, according to the paper. "We're a team that tries not to back down. You got to hold your ground out there."

Sacramento led for much of the night, but the Mavericks were 9-of-17 from the field in the fourth quarter and got 11 points from forward Dirk Nowitzki to pull out the win. Nowitzki led the Mavericks (2-2) with 23 points and Terry added 15. Jerry Stackhouse finished with 17 points and Harris had 11.

The game featured the return of former New Mexico State men's coach Reggie Theus, who went 41-23 during his two years in Las Cruces and led the Aggies to the NCAA tournament this past March before signing on with the Kings.

Sacramento took a 99-98 lead with 11 seconds left on two free throws by John Salmons after three lead changes and six ties in the final quarter.

"We did some good things tonight," Terry said. "We're still trying to get the kinks out and get some new people involved in what we are doing. But we made some strides tonight."

Dallas outrebounded Sacramento 44-29 and was 31-of-37 from the free-throw line. Sacramento missed 14-of-42 from the line.

Mike Bibby scored 21 points to lead five Kings in double figures. Forward Ron Artest added 19 points, Kevin Martin had 17, Miller 16 and Salmons chipped in 10.

"We did some good things and we can build on those," Theus said. "We were the worst rebounding team in the NBA last year and got beat tonight. We also need to hit our free throws. This was a good game for us. We got people some needed work and they responded."

Sacramento led 25-18 after the first quarter and 46-44 at halftime. The Kings shot 55 percent in the first quarter and got 11 points from Martin and 10 from Bibby to lead the way in the opening 24 minutes.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I thought that any blow to a player's head is an automatic suspension? Isn't that what was said when Artest was suspended for the blow to the head against Ginobli in the playoffs 2 years ago?

Ryan

I like turtles
I'm not really sure what Harris did to Miller in the first place, regardless, that was a poor move on Millers part.

I've heard a lot of people praise Howard for "standing up for his teammate". There's a time and place for that, but running across the court to blindside someone looks to me more like an excuse to start a fight. When I think about standing up for your teammates, I think back to Jordan getting in the face of McDaniel in the old Knicks/Bulls rivalry. Could you imagine if Jordan instead ran across the court and punched him in the back of his head?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Howard clearly overreacted. I'm thinking suspension here, 1-3 games. Note that if the suspension were on the long side of that range he could actually miss our regular season game in Dallas during opening week. Unlikely, but possible. The league had been getting stiffer and stiffer in its penalties for that kind of stuff.

As for Brad...he's always been a real tough guy when it comes to punking little PGs. I wouldn't mind it if he was also standing tall in there against the big boys -- then you're just all around tough and nasty. But Brad gets pushed around inside by guys his own size, and then has this long history of turning around and apparently trying to make up for it by picking on somebody half his size.

Brad didn't pick anybody out... He just spun around and Harris was immediately in the way and got it... just happened to be a little guy... and you KNOW Dev saw Brad coming before Brad saw him in his path.

IMO, the frustrated push was sold with a little extra exaggeration by Harris. Wrong as it was, Brad wasn't looking to beat up on anybody in particular.

All the discussion in Dallas is that Josh Howard's over-reaction last night was a result of stress incurred just hours before the game. It was rumored that he was going to be part of a blockbuster trade to the Lakers for Kobe Bryant. LA was said to be pressing the deal for a couple of big reasons:

1.) Kobe is refusing to practice with the Lakers (missed his third session today) with Jerry Buss and Phil Jackson seeing no way out of the mess - except a trade.

2.) Kobe is exercising his active no trade clause on other possible deals, but says he wants to go to Dallas.

3.) Mark Cuban was scheduled to be in Las Cruces for last nights game but was no where to be seen. It's said he was in consultation with the Lakers to swing the deal.

Stay tuned.

Brad didn't pick anybody out... He just spun around and Harris was immediately in the way and got it... just happened to be a little guy... and you KNOW Dev saw Brad coming before Brad saw him in his path.

IMO, the frustrated push was sold with a little extra exaggeration by Harris. Wrong as it was, Brad wasn't looking to beat up on anybody in particular.
I saw it the same way, Brad was really frustrated and he turns his head and see's Harris up in his face so he gave him a push out of frustration not intending to knock him down, just kinda I'm pissed get out of my face.

Mark Cuban's Whereabouts

3.) Mark Cuban was scheduled to be in Las Cruces for last nights game but was no where to be seen. It's said he was in consultation with the Lakers to swing the deal.

Mark Cuban was in LA on "Dancing With The Stars" Tuesday.

Mark Cuban was in LA on "Dancing With The Stars" Tuesday.[/quote]

Seeing that show is broadcast live at CBS Television City in Los Angeles, maybe Cuban was ironically "killing two birds with one stone." Like I said, stay tuned.

Me & my girlfriend call these actions "hissy-fits" by Brad. We find them funny most of the time. If he gets muscled down low or doesn't get a call his way, he'll aggressively swipe @ the ball after the defender gets the board, or sometimes even hack the defender himself B4 yelling @ the ref about the non-call usually. Well, last night was no different, only he attacked the wrong person w/his act of frustration.

Entity

Hall of Famer
this promted me to watch some NBA fights on youtube. I didn't realize how many fights the pacers were involved in and how often Artest was the one breaking it up. Artest was breaking up the fight between Shaq and Brad when they were in Chicago. Brad was left shirtless and smiling.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
is it possible to get a freaking visual of anything in this lazy forum?
Is it possible for you to be less antagonistic? There was already a link to video of the incident. If you want more go look for it yourself, will ya?

We are not going to have posters attacking the board or other posters. Fair warning. Stop. Now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Suspended 2 games without pay per ESPN......Ouch, good work Brad!!!!

About right on the duration the way penalties have been handed down recently, but not much to compliment Brad on. And doesn't even help us, as we play them in the third game just when he comes back.

About right on the duration the way penalties have been handed down recently, but not much to compliment Brad on. And doesn't even help us, as we play them in the third game just when he comes back.
Typical luck for us Kings fans over the past few years, you know he'll have a huge game against us.

The Kings should sit Miller for a couple of games for his silly acts of "wussiness". Gosh, instead of taking out the frustration on the little guy who won't fight back, why not work on trying to play smart? :rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Kings should sit Miller for a couple of games for his silly acts of "wussiness". Gosh, instead of taking out the frustration on the little guy who won't fight back, why not work on trying to play smart? :rolleyes:
Brad got jobbed pretty badly by Fazekas under the basket. He turned and ran up the court, thinking it was Fazekas next to him. He shoved him when he got too close. Silly? Of course. But it wasn't like Brad looked around to find the smaller guy to pick on.

Miller is in arguably the best shape of his entire time as a King. He's able to jump, he's able to get up and down the court, AND he's reminding me of the player we hoped he'd be when we first got him.

I think he is, for the most part, playing smart. Everyone has a lapse once in a while...

Gosh, instead of taking out the frustration on the little guy who won't fight back, why not work on trying to play smart? :rolleyes:
We aren't talking about a 5th grade bully beating up on a younger kid. These are grown adults and although Miller did push him I think Harris deserves an Oscar for that flop.

We aren't talking about a 5th grade bully beating up on a younger kid. These are grown adults and although Miller did push him I think Harris deserves an Oscar for that flop.
Yea I think Brad didn't intend to go for Harris. Anyway after that things were fine between him and Harris so nothing wrong there. Howard on the other hand, was just being stupid.

Brad got jobbed pretty badly by Fazekas under the basket. He turned and ran up the court, thinking it was Fazekas next to him. He shoved him when he got too close. Silly? Of course. But it wasn't like Brad looked around to find the smaller guy to pick on.

Miller is in arguably the best shape of his entire time as a King. He's able to jump, he's able to get up and down the court, AND he's reminding me of the player we hoped he'd be when we first got him.

I think he is, for the most part, playing smart. Everyone has a lapse once in a while...
I didn't get to see the Howard-Miller clip until last night, but now I've watched it a few times...
Brad, unfortunately, was just being Brad - venting his frustration when someone tries to muscle or dominate him. He didn't 'pick a little guy' like so many others have suggested; it was all happening too fast for that. But he had a second or two where he lost control. (Sidebar: He had another one of those last night, but the ball was in his hands, so he couldn't do much damage - other than getting a travel call and, hence, giving the ball away.)
But Howard's actions were way out of line. When someone runs that far to do what he did, there is no good excuse. None. Of course, there are places in the world where people will kill you for less than what Miller did, but there's no place for that in civilized society (and not in the NBA either). Howard's punishment was predictable, but still inadequate.
I also find it disappointing that, after all he's been through, Artest still doesn't get it. From Sam Amick's Q&A, Artest was quoted as saying about Howard: "That's his guy. You don't do that in the street, and he's hood too. You've got to respect it. I respect it."