Maurice Evans Watch

OK. I know today is the deadline to offer Mo Evans a qualifying contract. It is 3:15pm PDT and no offer has been made as far as I know. What is the deal???

So this will be the official "Maurice Evans Qualifying Offer Watch Thread"

Should Mo receive the offer, or do we just let him walk?

Last edited:
Good question. I like him and think he has a lot of POTENTIAL to do good things, so I think they should make him a qualifying offer, but he may not be part of Petrie's long term plan; how much do you pay for a Mo Evans?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
There is supposed to be an announcement today re: Mo and Darius and Rick and Geoff have both said something to the effect of "they will get a qualifying offer" (IIRC) - don't worry, they aren't going to get away without a fight.

We need all the relatively inexpensive and talented folks we can get, especially ones that know our system like these two do....

After thinking about Mo Evans some more, I really hope the Kings and Mo Evans agree on his value and he returns. He is athletic and a good scorer. He would be a great backup SF behind Peja and would give the team a different look when he is on the court to mix up the other team's strategy. What about Darius? Any thoughts on if you want him to stay or go?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
NoBonus said:
After thinking about Mo Evans some more, I really hope the Kings and Mo Evans agree on his value and he returns. He is athletic and a good scorer. He would be a great backup SF behind Peja and would give the team a different look when he is on the court to mix up the other team's strategy. What about Darius? Any thoughts on if you want him to stay or go?
With the current team? Go if he's going to cost us anything. You just cannot have Brad, Darius, Kenny and the rest of the groundbound dwarfs eating all your "big man" minutes or we're going to embarrassed inside next year once again. He's duplicative and part of our defensive problem. Now if significant changes are afoot, it woould be nice to have him back as a good little system PF to provide shooting as a COUNTERPUNCH to a guy or guys we brought in to do the real dirty work up front.

NoBonus said:
I was high on this guy in the early part of the season, but as of now we just don't need him. Honestly he didn' really show me much during the season. Doesn't handle the ball all that well, he's shot is inconsistent, and doesn't really have a good court awareness. Yeah hes athletic, but he doesn't use it well, and unless hes in the open floor calling him a good scorer is a reach. Theres not a whole lot of good reasons to keep this guy.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think Mo could get a deal similar to Darius' last year. Maybe a little over 1.5 mil a year for two years with next year being a player option. Of course I read that Mo is looking for a multi year deal. I just don't think too many teams, although definately impressed, will find the time to really look into getting Mo. Darius won't get more than the MLE. How much less I think is up to Geoff Petrie and the Maloofs.

Bricklayer said:
With the current team? Go if he's going to cost us anything. You just cannot have Brad, Darius, Kenny and the rest of the groundbound dwarfs eating all your "big man" minutes or we're going to embarrassed inside next year once again. He's duplicative and part of our defensive problem. Now if significant changes are afoot, it woould be nice to have him back as a good little system PF to provide shooting as a COUNTERPUNCH to a guy or guys we brought in to do the real dirty work up front.

Totally agree with the above. I would also not be pressing to sign Mo. I think Garcia/Martin is a solid rotation at the 2 spot, regardless of who starts. I imagine Garcia would get the bulk of the minutes, but Martin's athleticism and slashing provide a nice balance to our bench. Bring back Barnes as insurance to those guys, as well as back up SF, and we have a bench full of some nice, big hustle guys. I know Evans is one too, but he may have played his way out of our price range, and I am slightly smitten w/ Matt.

Warhawk

Staff member
Don't just let the guy go - if nothing else sign him and use him to balance up a trade somewhere. The guy has skills, plays good D (shut down Ray Allen, IIRC), is athletic as all get out, can hit the open 3. Is he still raw? Needs to handle the ball better? Definitely. But he can and will play in this league. Why not sign him (if he's cheap enough) and keep him? We need all the bodies we can get the way injuries bite us. At this point, I would rather keep him than Kevin (if it came to choosing between them) as he can play now and plays more consistently.

Warhawk said:
The guy has skills, plays good D (shut down Ray Allen, IIRC), is athletic as all get out, can hit the open 3. Is he still raw? Needs to handle the ball better? Definitely. But he can and will play in this league.

Aside from the Ray Allen addendum(only 2 1/2 quarters), this is also the current analysis of Martin, who is carrying a first-round guaranteed contract. The Kings should definitely tender an offer, why not? But if he gets a multi-year deal elsewhere there is no compelling reason to match.

Warhawk said:
Don't just let the guy go - if nothing else sign him and use him to balance up a trade somewhere. The guy has skills, plays good D (shut down Ray Allen, IIRC), is athletic as all get out, can hit the open 3. Is he still raw? Needs to handle the ball better? Definitely. But he can and will play in this league. Why not sign him (if he's cheap enough) and keep him? We need all the bodies we can get the way injuries bite us. At this point, I would rather keep him than Kevin (if it came to choosing between them) as he can play now and plays more consistently.
I wouldn't go as far to say I would keep him over Kevin. Kevin will has a LOT of potential. Trust me Kevin Marin will not be forgotten! hopefully we DON'T trade or sign a SG b/c I would be really excited to watch these 3 young players (that can and will help and except their roles) grow. With consistent minutes last season, I have no doubt Kevin Martin would have been the talk of this summer.

i think mo evans should DEFF be resigned, and songaila would be nice. also, i hope Barnes finds his way back here, becuase he knows the kings had to use afiller in the trade and still like his game alot.

loopymitch said:
Why do I have the feeling we'll keep Mo and let Darius go?
IMO I think we SHOULD let Darius go, but I think the Kings extended him b/c it doesn't hurt anything. That and they have put a lot of time into Darius just to see it walk away. This past season he had one deadly jumper, man it got to the point where if it missed I was shocked!

Mobley becomes free agent; Kings extend offer sheets to Songaila, Evans

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn...ection=nba&id=2098311

National Basketball Association News Wire

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Guard Cuttino Mobley is an unrestricted free agent after terminating the final year of his contract, the Sacramento Kings said Thursday.

The Kings also extended offer sheets to forwards Darius Songaila and Maurice Evans, making them restricted free agents.

Mobley, acquired in a trade with the Orlando Magic in December, declined a $6.374 million player option for next season. The seven-year veteran, who spent his first six NBA seasons with the Houston Rockets, is among a crowd of potential free-agent shooting guards this summer, including Ray Allen, Michael Redd and Joe Johnson.

Mobley averaged 17.8 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 43 games last season with Sacramento. He hasn't ruled out a return to Sacramento, but wants to test the market, according to the Kings.

Sacramento is allowed to match any offer made to Songaila and Evans, two valuable reserves who also started a handful of games. Songaila, a second-year pro, averaged 7.5 points and 4.2 rebounds last season, while Evans averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in his first NBA action since the 2001-02 season.

Songaila declined a $1.76 million player option for next season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
AleksandarN said:
I think it is likeluy that Mo is gone. Looking at who we drafted I see no room for Evans on this team
It might be nice to actually see how Garcia plays before simply handing him the starting job.

;)

Seriously, having Bibby, Bobby, Evans, Martin and Garcia on the roster wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. It'd be nice to have more than one backup per position for a change.

I love Mo - he's athletic and brave. I think the Kings should match any offer even remotely within reason, or we'll be sorry like the Wolves were for letting Bobby Jackson go somewhere else for cheap.

Darius too - I think the Kings need to keep both these players, and trade off the garbage acquired in the Webber trade.

jmho - these are both excellent bench players.

Warhawk

Staff member
VF21 said:
Seriously, having Bibby, Bobby, Evans, Martin and Garcia on the roster wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. It'd be nice to have more than one backup per position for a change.
Exactly! Provided he doesn't get an outrageous offer elsewhere, keep the kid around! I'd go as far as keeping House as a 15th man, if he comes relatively cheap. Can never have too many guys that can handle the ball....

Francisco d'Anconia said:
I love Mo - he's athletic and brave. I think the Kings should match any offer even remotely within reason, or we'll be sorry like the Wolves were for letting Bobby Jackson go somewhere else for cheap.

Darius too - I think the Kings need to keep both these players, and trade off the garbage acquired in the Webber trade.

jmho - these are both excellent bench players.
Yeah, we could use a deep bench again, especially if no big changes are made in the starting lineup.

Shake 'em up CISCO, MO, MARTIN, BOBBY & MIKE!

Yay! I was getting nervous there. I did not want to lose Mo at all. Guards with his toughness, athleticism, rebounding, and hustle don't come around too often. Under the new CBA we can have three more guys on the roster, and it would make no sense to lose a potential starter without at least extending a reasonable offer.

As much as I like Darius, I don't know if he'll have a place with us next year. It is likely he's attracted enough attention for another team to offer him more than we will. I'll miss his deadeye shooting and occasional explosions to the hoop, but he duplicates so much of what we already have in Brad Miller and really doesn't address our shotblocking and rebounding concerns.
~~

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think anyone is going to be able to forget anything about Garcia, Fillmoe... But this thread is about Mo Evans.

;)

Alacron said:
Yay! I was getting nervous there. I did not want to lose Mo at all. Guards with his toughness, athleticism, rebounding, and hustle don't come around too often. Under the new CBA we can have three more guys on the roster, and it would make no sense to lose a potential starter without at least extending a reasonable offer.

As much as I like Darius, I don't know if he'll have a place with us next year. It is likely he's attracted enough attention for another team to offer him more than we will. I'll miss his deadeye shooting and occasional explosions to the hoop, but he duplicates so much of what we already have in Brad Miller and really doesn't address our shotblocking and rebounding concerns.
~~
Yeah I don't see Darius getting many minutes away from Brad, Big Nasty, Skinner (hopefully he gets some time with Brad next season he would be awesome at PF), and Kenny. They are just plain and simply the better players. Darius is fifth in line in that respect.

Oh yeah I forgot about Greg, who hopefully will see 15-20 min. a game next season!

Dang that is a LOT of frontcourt players! Petrie will have to sort this out sometime this summer I do believe.

F

Fillmoe

VF21 said:
I don't think anyone is going to be able to forget anything about Garcia, Fillmoe... But this thread is about Mo Evans.

;)
sorry if i wasnt specific but that comment was in regards to whoever said that Evans is gonna be gone because we drafted a SG..... what i meant to say is that is not necesarrily true because he plays more than 1 position... and with cuttino wanting to opt out and test the waters.... we only have 2 true SG...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fillmoe said:
sorry if i wasnt specific but that comment was in regards to whoever said that Evans is gonna be gone because we drafted a SG..... what i meant to say is that is not necesarrily true because he plays more than 1 position... and with cuttino wanting to opt out and test the waters.... we only have 2 true SG...
Ah, thank you. That makes it clearer...

;)

SacTownKid said:
Oh yeah I forgot about Greg, who hopefully will see 15-20 min. a game next season!
Well, of course he'll see 15-20 minutes a game. He should be able to see the WHOLE game. He has a pretty good view from the bench.

VF21 said:
Ah, thank you. That makes it clearer...

;)

Well, of course he'll see 15-20 minutes a game. He should be able to see the WHOLE game. He has a pretty good view from the bench.

Man what a job description! Gets paid 5 million a year to watch every Kings game from the best seat in the house! I wonder if they're taking applications :D