Marvin Bagley - the legend begins

I'm not sure why he is still hesitant to use his right on offense. His right-handed hooks look perfect and his finishes at the rim with his right look as smooth as with his left, but they are few and far between. I don't remember a play that looked awkward because he used his right, but there have been quite a few that were awkward because he contorted his body to avoid using his right when that would have been the natural thing.

Been saying this for a while, Bags template is Giannis.

No, he's not going to be a point guard.

Beast.

Best player comp for him. That block at the rim then collected ball and goes coast to coast was as Giannis as it gets really. Same archetype. Think bags will be less a passer and handler as Giannis but a better scorer and easily better shooter.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I love that the Bagley talk in these parts has gone from "we should have drafted Luka" to "is he the next Giannis?"

Obviously it's a bit premature to compare him to (arguably) the best player in the NBA, but between the ludicrous growth rate and regular flashing of superstar stuff....**** it why not?

At the very least, I think his predraft ceiling of Amare/Bosh hybrid is now his floor. And yes, I remember how good those dudes were in their prime.

I'm not sure why he is still hesitant to use his right on offense. His right-handed hooks look perfect and his finishes at the rim with his right look as smooth as with his left, but they are few and far between. I don't remember a play that looked awkward because he used his right, but there have been quite a few that were awkward because he contorted his body to avoid using his right when that would have been the natural thing.
The exact same could be written about Swipa. He often gets blocked at the rim because he brings the ball back to his left when a right handed finish is warranted.

Both players CAN finish with the right and look fine doing so. They just need to work on it so it becomes instinctive and natural.

I mentioned this early on in the season as well, but Bagley is constantly learning on the floor. During timeouts and breaks in play, he literally looks as if he is absorbing information in real time. He's freakin scary as a player. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Tim Duncan when it comes to this. Duncan had the same look on his face during games. Always thinking and thinking ahead of everyone.

With his progression, along with Buddy and Fox (Giles to an extent), we can cause some serious damage in the playoffs if we make it in. I doubt we make it out of the first, but man oh man we'd go down swinging.

Hahah... The Legend of Marvin Bagley III began long ago... The Kings chapter is just beginning though...

Marvin has had a legit claim at being one of the best basketball players ever to come from the state of Arizona for many, many years now. He's the youngest player in the states history to recieve a d1 scholarship offer.

The first time I ever heard of Marvin it was in the context of "The best 8th grade basketball player since LeBron...."

Here's the video actually.... Keep in mind this was uploaded in the summer of 2013...

EDIT; BTW IF you have 5 minutes watch that video!!! Can't help but marvel at him driving the ball from the perimeter and going coast to coast...

Last edited:
I’m not trying to insult you, but that ranking is definitely worth less than the price you’re paying for ESPN insider. Use that money for the Athletic.
That list is outrageous for several reasons, for D'Angelo Russell to be outside of the top-10; that's certifiably insane. What are they watching? obviously not the Nets....

Trae Young deserves a spot on that list too, thats a crazy snub...

No, it's based on the video and MB saying he feels pretty good.

Those type of injuries can feel a lot worse when they happen, because of the unnatural position your joint finds itself in, you often think you've done some serious damage. I've had it happen to me with knees and ankles, where they twist/rotate and all your weight goes down on it. At the time you think you might have torn something, but often it's just a sprain. Hopefully that's the case here.

Still bummed. I'll be in Boston on March 14th to see my guys play and there's a good chance MB will be out for that even if it's just precautionary.