Mark Jones named new TV PBP voice

Anyone notice how different Doug is without Grant there?

He says way more goofy over the top stuff with the new guys because he knew Grant would call him out and try to make him feel stupid for doing it.

Anyone notice how different Doug is without Grant there?

He says way more goofy over the top stuff with the new guys because he knew Grant would call him out and try to make him feel stupid for doing it.
Better to remain silent and look foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Doug with his "that's what he do" talking all fake.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Better to remain silent and look foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Doug with his "that's what he do" talking all fake.
Serious question: why would your default assumption be that how he sounds on the broadcast now is Christie "talking all fake," as opposed to how he talked when he was doing the broadcast with Napear? How do you know that wasn't him "talking fake"?

Serious question: why would your default assumption be that how he sounds on the broadcast now is Christie "talking all fake," as opposed to how he talked when he was doing the broadcast with Napear? How do you know that wasn't him "talking fake"?
Ya, no idea where that came from. He’s not really that much different. More exuberant and slightly different lingo with the new broadcasting mate. Which, I mean, cmon. We don’t need Robert Langdon trying to crack this cipher.

Christie has always been exuberant. I actually think paired up with Jones he has picked his spots to be exuberant when in previous seasons, his exuberance felt forced or at least not in flow. Don't know if it is the new pairing or if it is just the maturing of Christie as a color commentator. Probably a little of both.

in the almost 20 years Doug has been around the team has he every not spoken eloquently?

I’m really enjoying Mark Jones’ PBP; for the most part he and Doug are working well together.

Though Mark does occasionally throw a few passes to Doug that are a little too hot to handle (ex. 7:28 4th quarter yesterday referring to Fox’s “un-impeachable” speed :) )

I really like Mark, but he definitely has a couple habits that just come off very forced. Lots of "Jelly" references, multiple times a game (yesterday's game as an example). He also has a habit of pulling out a string of big vocab words when trying to emphasize how amazing something/someone is.

They're getting weirder and weirder as the season goes on.

Still not as weird as one of the local announcers from a team I can't recall on NBA TV the other day that said "Put that brown thing in the round hole!" after a made basket.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
They're getting weirder and weirder as the season goes on.

Still not as weird as one of the local announcers from a team I can't recall on NBA TV the other day that said "Put that brown thing in the round hole!" after a made basket.
I’m laughing so hard at imagining someone actually making that call. Lmao

Entity

Hall of Famer
I really like Mark, but he definitely has a couple habits that just come off very forced. Lots of "Jelly" references, multiple times a game (yesterday's game as an example). He also has a habit of pulling out a string of big vocab words when trying to emphasize how amazing something/someone is.
i grow tired of the abbreviated words like hesi and midi. then you have the jelly and reaching into his bag. Doug is trying to make "feet set, jumper wet" a thing.

Mark Jones is on the Deuce and Mo Podcast and he insinuated he was the first person to use the phrase “take it to the house” on a sportscast in 1991. Very interesting if true.

i grow tired of the abbreviated words like hesi and midi. then you have the jelly and reaching into his bag. Doug is trying to make "feet set, jumper wet" a thing.
Couldn't agree more. Mark is professional at play-by-play and not an obvious "Homer". Kyle Draper is also quite good unless he falls into the cheerleader trap.

Kayte is a pro as well. She doesn't need the makeup and jewelry to distract from her excellent analysis. (But it is a TV thing.)

Koz is fine at play-by-play and halftime analysis as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him land in a major market somewhere.

So hold the abbreviations, cheerleading, and insider sayings for a cleaner and informative broadcast.

Anyone else catch the DuQuan Jackson name call and then doubled down on no relation to Josh Jackson?
Didn’t hear that one but pretty funny.

He tried turning GRlll into Glen Rice a few times earlier this year.

To be fair, it’s probably easy enough to slip up on names. This is my personal favorite name mix up

Update on Doug Christie color commentary.

Did anybody notice, that in the last game against the Hawks, Doug went to 90% analysis / 10% cheerleading from the usual 50/50 split. He was quite listenable and a contribution to the broadcast. Maybe he is maturing as a color commentator, trying to remake his delivery, or auditioning for a big market job. Good job, Doug.

Perhaps he might even read and be influenced by the comments on this forum.