Maloof says "Whisnant is a Candidate"

This morning on 1140 the question was asked to Joe Maloof if he thought that John Whisnant would be a good NBA coach. Maloof's response to the question was

"Whisnant has been a winner every where he has been. He is one of the coaches on our list that we will talk to"

Monarch fans, this is a very tenuous time for our championship team. We have heard this rumor now for several months, and this is the closest we have seen to a real possibility that John Whisnant could be the next head coach of the Sacramento Kings.

The Maloofs are gamblers. And I can see them making this move the the blink of an eye. They trust "Whis". Whis has won for them already and I have heard Whis say himself that "Basketball is Basketball" regardless of gender.

As both a Kings fan and a Monarch Season Ticket holder, I am torn. I do believe that Coach would do well in the NBA but I do not want to lose him on the ladies side.

Let's see what is going to happen.

From Today's Edition of the Sacramento Bee

Hopefuls for coaching job flood Kings

Joe Maloof says he already has received plenty of calls from potential candidates.

By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, May 12, 2006

The search has begun.
And so far, this is easier than they thought.
While Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said the hunt for a new coach is in its infancy stages, a list of candidates is practically compiling itself. Joe Maloof said he has received "double digit" calls from representatives of potential coaches, while his brother, Gavin, has received plenty of his own.

And chances are, the phone of president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie isn't sitting quietly, either. Thus far, all the calls are incoming, with the Kings' braintrust not having to reach out on its own.

There is no rush to the process, though. The Maloofs have never done this, having inherited the only Kings coach they've known, Rick Adelman, whom they dismissed Tuesday. While Joe Maloof wouldn't disclose the identities of those who called, he said he was excited about the prospects. It is expected that the list will stop growing in the next few days, and the whittling will begin.

"There's a lot of good coaches out there," he said. "There's a lot of good NBA coaches, a lot of good assistant coaches. We just have to find the right fit for our franchise. I've gotten a lot of calls, and I think that's a tribute to the franchise and the city."

San Antonio Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo, who replaced a fired Adelman in Portland (1994) and Golden State (1997), has indicated he would like to become a head coach again and would be among the top candidates. That scenario sheds some light on the potential timeline, as the Spurs are in the midst of their second-round playoff series against Dallas, and Carlesimo may not be available until June.

Monarchs coach John Whisenant, a longtime family friend of the Maloofs who gained even more favor with last season's WNBA title and his defensive ways, will be considered. While retired coach Don Nelson would likely be interviewed, his offensive reputation doesn't fall in line with the Maloofs' desires for a defense-oriented coach.

For that matter, nor does the reputation of former Kings coach Eddie Jordan, the Washington coach whose teams have struggled mightily on defense the last two seasons. Jordan has one year left on his contract and is seeking an extension.

Yikes-I sure hope not. It may sound purely selfish, but I want him to remain with the Monarchs, despite the fact that greater coaching opportunity and money lie with the NBA. Why mess with the great success that he has led the Monarchs to?? And there is also great risk involved as the NBA and WNBA are two entirely different leagues, even though they're under the same organization. Success in one league is no guarantee of success carrying over to the other.

I'm not that worried either way. Whiz wasn't going the Monarchs much longer anyway and had been sending those signals for a couple of seasons.

I also really can't see him wanting to grind under the scrutiny of the NBA glare with players whose egos and paychecks don't require them to feel a sense of urgency about doing what coach says or not having a job or PT any more. Where Whiz has coached before he has had that. What Whiz has going for him that these other NBA retreads don't is that he has the mantra that he CAN teach somebody who doesn't have the reputation of being a defender to at least be adequate in a team defensive scheme. What he also would have going for him that he didn't have in December is that he has Ron Artest, who equals Yolanda Griffith in terms of stature within a team and the league as a defender. If I'm Whiz, the job is a lot more attractive now, his scheme requires a stalwart defender to build around and players who buy into his system. But he still would have the Bibby's and the Miller's who are defensively challenged and who you can't just sit on the bench in favor of somebody making pennies on their dollars, that economically isn't feasible in the NBA unless you completely rebuilt that team ala the Pistons.

I also find it somewhat humorous that the play that tipped the scales against Adelman is EXACTLY the same kind of play that lost the Monarchs game 2 of the finals. It happens. It didn't make Whiz any less of a defensive coach.

I just don't see the Maloof's making that change, it still is goofy and has goofy reasoning behind it. I see them rolling the dice but not with Whiz. I think I agree with Turner's comments, the defense thing is a smoke-screen reason for not retaining Adelman.

Maloofs want "personality"

From what I've read in the Bee, it sounds like the Maloofs want a Kings coach who has more charisma and is willing to schmooze in the community (Phil Jackson comes to mind). While this strikes me as a really stupid reason for letting Adelman go, I don't see Whisnant filling this role. He's not much of a public speaker, he's not particularly charismatic and I haven't seen him out and about in Sacramento much. Even though he is a personal friend to the Maloof family, do you think he fits the star-quality image they wish they had? What about Whisnant's health issues--has he fully recovered from that? The NBA season is a lot longer, consequently more stressful than the WNBA season. I too, want Whiz to stick with the Monarchs. He seems to have respect and rapport with the women--good luck getting that from Artest.

~Connie

I was listening to the Kozimor show last night, and Gavin Maloof was on (or was it Joe?). Anyway, he was fairly vague about what they wanted -- defense, community relations, not tread on the egos of the players, etc. He said the new head coach could come from assistant coaches, broadcasters or even coaches in "other" leagues. Whether that encompasses NCAA or WNBA, who knows.

If they pull from the WNBA, I think Bill Laimbeer is a better choice, personally. He's one of the "bad boys," known for agressive defense; he could relate to the players more readily, having been there, done that; and he has the reputation of sinking 150% of himself into anything he does. Whether he could avoid tromping on the fragile egos of the players is another question.

That's my $.02. I really like Coach Whiz where he is, although I know it is a limited time gig. I don't think he would be tempted to sink himself in so deep as to become a NBA coach.

As an aside, one of my first thoughts when Marsha Sharp resigned as head coach of Texas Tech was -- hmmm, could she be Whisenant's replacement?

Anyway, it's game day and I've got my away game uniform on and I'm ready to be glued to the radio.

GO MONARCHS!!!!

Koz was on my red-eye flight from Sacto to NY last night! Wish I would of sat next to him so we could of talked Monarchs. I wanted to speak to him when we were all sitting in the airport waiting for our flight, but the poor guy looked so tired and bedraggled, so I left him alone. Wish I could of seen today's game.

I'm pretty sure he would have chatted with you in the airport, I don't think I've ever heard of him or seen him being unapproachable in public.

I don't think the brothers know what they want, its clear however who they didn't want and they actually made that pretty clear last summer.

I don't see Sharpe coming to the W, I think she has another cushy high profile D1 gig in mind.

Monarch Fans,
I am sorry I keep bringing this up, but this is a rumor that just will not go away and continues to grow. Once the team arrived back home from Washington D.C., Coach Whisnant was interview this morning on the Rise Guys and this afternoon by Fox 40 Sports. Both times he was asked if he was interested and both times, he did not deny being a canidiate neither did he deny his interest. In fact asked by Fox, he stumbled bumbled and stammered over his words before saying "I can not know if I am interested until I know if they are interested in me".:confused:

I am telling you this is a strong possibility. Sure I know that he would struggled trying to gather respect in being a WNBA coach, but he is going to get an interview and is being considered strongly.

Last edited:
In fact asked by Fox, he stumbled bumbled and stammered over his words before saying "I can not know if I am interested until I know if they are interested in me".:confused:
I just watched that interview on Fox 40, and it seemed like about 15 seconds he was just stumbling along trying not to say he was interested, but at the same that not trying to say he wasn't. I didn't think it was a possiblity before, but after seeing that interview, I'm a little worried...

I still don't buy it that he's going to be the one they hire. I do think he's under consideration - I don't anybody denies that. But as has been stated earlier in this thread, he's not what the Kings need. He stated pretty clearly in the article in the Bee today that he likes the job he has right now.

The Maloofs get very good vibes from him and I think they'll use him to measure up who else they get nearly the same vibe from. If they were going to hire him, they may as well do it now before his departure gets to be disruptive to what their defending champion franchise is trying to do. I listened to Aileen Voisin last night on KHTK, and I think she hit it on the head - Whisenant will be in the top 5 finalists, but they need someone "sexier" than Whiz.

If he goes he goes...I'm just not sweating it because I didn't expect him to be with the M's longer than this season anyway. I just think the Maloofs won't go that direction because as Voisin argued that Petrie would not sign off on him.

Roots are more than just hoops
The Maloofs are only one reason John Whisenant loves Albuquerque
By Melody Gutierrez -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, May 17, 2006

ALBUQUERQUE,N.M. - From the tinted window of John Whisenant's black Hummer, a clear picture of his life, work and relationship with the Maloof family can be found on the streets of Albuquerque.

Brush the dust off this high-desert town, and you can trace his basketball connections back three decades.

In his fourth season as the Monarchs' coach and third as general manager, Whisenant, 60, has cultivated roots in Sacramento, but Albuquerque remains home.

It was here that he developed his relationship with George Maloof Sr. and his family.

After leading the Monarchs to their first WNBA championship last season, and with his long-standing ties to the Maloofs, Whisenant has become an inside favorite to fill the Kings' head-coaching vacancy.

"I recognize that I'm one of the people mentioned, which I take as a compliment," said Whisenant, who has a 55-29 (.655) regular-season record with the Monarchs.

"But I have a job I really like. I don't have much time to think about it. I know Gavin and Joe and the Maloof family better than anyone in this area, and they will make a logical, well-thought-out choice for who is best for the organization."

It's an understatement to say Whisenant knows the Maloof family. The Maloofs operate in Las Vegas and Sacramento these days, but New Mexico is their home, the springboard that launched the family's beer distributorship and grew the family business into liquor, banking, hotels, gambling and basketball.

"First and foremost, when he gives his word, he gives his word," Joe Maloof said. "That's all there is to it. He's a man of integrity."

And that's why Whisenant is quick to quell rumors that he's interested in the Kings' coaching position. His loyalty at the moment is to the Monarchs.

Plus, he's a little busy.

On Saturday, Whisenant and the Monarchs completed their three-game preseason schedule in New York with a 76-64 victory against the Liberty.

Tuesday, Whisenant and the Monarchs were in Washington to meet President Bush at the White House, an honor for winning the WNBA title.

While his son will be getting married in Houston on Saturday, Whisenant will be at Arco Arena as he and the Monarchs accept their championship rings before the nationally televised regular-season opener against Phoenix at 1 p.m.

He called it a "sad reality" that his coaching obligations sometimes clash with his family priorities. "My whole family is quite disappointed," Whisenant said.

"It's the reason I got out of coaching in the first place."

He describes his relationship with coaching as turmoil. He got his start after his collegiate basketball career at New Mexico State ended in 1966.

Then came stints as an assistant at Coffeyville Junior College in Kansas and four seasons as head coach at Arizona Western in Yuma, before he returned to the roadrunner state for a job with the University of New Mexico.

He took a five-year hiatus in the early 1990s to just be dad. However, his kids never stopped calling him coach.

He became his son's club basketball coach, leading the team of 15-year-olds to a 176-16 record and a National Congress International national championship in 1995.

"I've had a love-hate relationship with coaching," he said. "I get nervous and can't sleep. I sometimes drive myself nuts."

But coaching is what defines him. He came to Sacramento in early 2003 by request of the Maloof family to be the Monarchs' general manager in-training behind Jerry Reynolds. Within months, Joe and Gavin Maloof fired coach Maura McHugh at midseason after the Monarchs fell to 7-11 and replaced her with Whisenant.

"He's a quick learner," Joe Maloof said. "He knows basketball, and he has won at every level." In fact, Whisenant has yet to have a losing season as a coach, from his days at Coffeyville and Arizona Western.

Then there were his glory days as an assistant to Norm Ellenberger at New Mexico, where the team finished 137-62 in seven seasons. Whisenant still is a Lobos season- ticket holder.

"I know it's inevitable," Whisenant said of eventually having a losing season. "You don't always win - even though I haven't experienced that."

The downside to his passion for coaching is his contradictory personality. Part of him appears laid-back, engaging and charismatic - words used by his players to describe him.

But there's the other side. The part of him that obsesses, that picks apart plays, that demands perfection.

"He had a cocky swagger when he first got here," said Monarchs center Yolanda Griffith, who has played for three coaches since joining the team in 1999. "We didn't get along. I have a lot of respect for him now. It took a long time."

Whisenant also has been known to put coaching ahead of his health.

During the 2004 playoffs, Whisenant was spitting up blood on the sideline, and despite undergoing tests for what he thought to be cancer, he continued to coach.

"It scared me," he said. "Spitting up blood, that can make you nervous."

He later was diagnosed with histoplasmosis, a fungal disease that primarily affects the lungs. The condition can worsen when one is stressed.

"I've had no problems since, but there is no treatment," Whisenant said.

The condition is more commonly found in people from a select number of states, including portions of Oklahoma, where Whisenant grew up.

A former basketball and baseball standout, Whisenant said his roots go back to an "itsy-bitsy" town called Gore in eastern Oklahoma, where people knew him as "Johnny Boy."

His grandfather was a school superintendent and Methodist preacher. His grandmother's family owned several of the town's businesses.

"I grew up the prince of Gore," said Whisenant, who also roped calves in the rodeo.

His dad was a coach and principal. His parents, who are in their mid-80s, still live in Gore.

Whisenant was the first from Sequoyah County to get a Division I scholarship, which landed him at New Mexico State in Las Cruces.

"I was just a sports junkie," he said. "I always have been."

He shares that addiction with the Maloofs. From inside Whisenant's Hummer, he can point out where he first met George Maloof Sr., who was a booster club member at the University of New Mexico when Whisenant was an assistant coach there.

On the left is where the Four Seasons Hotel stood in 1977. It's the place Whisenant introduced George Maloof Sr. to two New York lawyers who in essence brokered a deal for Maloof to buy the Houston Rockets. The family sold the Rockets shortly after George Maloof Sr. died in 1980.

Just off Louisiana Boulevard is Ned's, a bar and grill that since has had a name change or two but remains the place Joe and Gavin Maloof first informed Whisenant of their interest in buying an NBA team.

This is home.

"I came here, and it grew on me," Whisenant said. "I like the bright, clear skies." And he takes in the dry air every offseason, when he changes his occupation hat.

His business card reads "Whiz Realty, Inc., Whiz-Davis Homes, Whizway Farms," representing his interests in commercial real estate, home construction and horse racing.

He runs the businesses out of Albuquerque, using his secretary to keep him on top of everything. She pays the bills at his homes in Albuquerque, where he lives in the offseason, and Sacramento.

He arrived in Albuquerque in 1973, bought land and over time built about 400 homes. Today, New Mexico's largest city is considered the No. 1 spot for businesses and careers when it comes to the cost of doing business, income growth, cost of living and other factors, according to Forbes magazine.

Whisenant has so many interests, he couldn't remember what the placard on the door to his Albuquerque office said. On the inside of the building - which he owns, and which also houses a Bank of America - is his office.

On the wall behind his desk are pictures of his five children, three from his first marriage and two from his current wife, Joyce. Ona file cabinet are stacks of photos of racehorses he owns.

Whisenant is one of the top breeders in New Mexico.

On the floor, yet to be hung, is a large black and white photo from his days as a 27-year-old assistant coach for New Mexico, which shows off a full head of brown hair and a youthful eagerness.

"He was an outstanding fundamental coach, especially at defense," said Jim Hulsman, a friend who was considered a legendary high school coach in Albuquerque before retiring. "The things he taught are things we still teach."

Hulsman, the National High School Coach of the Year in 2002, said he was excited to hear Whisenant would be in Albuquerque for a preseason game against Connecticut on May 9. He stopped by the Pit to say hello during shootaround.

"Anybody who has the chance to meet him, it's such an experience because of his effervescent personality," said Hulsman, who is now a professor of basketball theory at New Mexico.

Whisenant's theories on basketball weren't always well-received, Griffith said.

"(I thought) that he was crazy as hell with that defense he brought," Griffith said. "It's a totally different ballgame. It's tougher. It makes you aware of everything on the court."

Monarchs point guard Ticha Penicheiro said she could describe Whisenant in two words: "Defensive specialist."

For Joe Maloof, there's a simple reason to like Whisenant.

"He works really hard. And we appreciate that," Maloof said. "And the results with the Monarchs speak for themselves."

I just rewound the ol' Tivo and watched the Fox 40 segment. The guy stammers like that all the time. Secondly, it's true - he won't know until he's asked to interview if he's actually being considered for the job.

I understand that he is a long shot. But and this is a big BUT.....if the Maloofs and Geoff Petrie go out on this wide ranging search for a coach (and there is no question that they must find one in the next 20 to 30 days before the draft and before the summer league) and they do not like any of the candidates, I can see them handing the keys over to Whisnant for one year at $2 million dollars, far lower than the average NBA coach's salary.

THAT'S 2,000,000 DOLLARS!!!!:eek: He would be a fool not to take it.

Isn't that how he became the Monarchs coach? Look how that turned out.

Yes but he ain't making eight figures either. For money that can set you up for the rest of your life coaching basketball for one year, he may would have to take that offer up.

But, in the interview of him, it's obvious he has family money - he took off a couple of years just to be with his kids and doesn't want to be away from them so much - the Monarchs Coach job is a part time thing and then he goes back home and does his other 'real' jobs. I don't really think there is any worry here - he had a good job. He said so. I believe him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I am behind MBF and many others all the way. I haven't read all the notes but I'm not sure Whiz has the energy for an NBA season as I think at one point he wasn't sure he could be GM and coach. Also he's just too old to be an NBA rookie not that I mind his approach. :) The two games, ladies and men's, are not the same nor is the NBA simply a bigger and faster version of college. What WE need to worry about is that he will retire sooner than we wish.