Malaysian plane shot down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Remind me not to book a flight with Malaysia Airlines. That's the same airline that lost a plane off the coast of Australia in March.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It seems like it would be relatively easy to figure out if the plane was shot down or if it crashed. If it was shot down at 33,000 feet I would expect pieces of the plane to be scattered over a huge area. Odd. Why would anyone want to shoot it down?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It seems like it would be relatively easy to figure out if the plane was shot down or if it crashed. If it was shot down at 33,000 feet I would expect pieces of the plane to be scattered over a huge area. Odd. Why would anyone want to shoot it down?
Late breaking news is that it was shot down by a surface-to-air missile.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Based on the reports, it seems indeed that it was an ground to air missile attack due to the fact that Russians thought Ukrainian "terrorists" were on that airplane. Not the first time this has happened either, I believe Iran was part of a similar incident.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Based on the reports, it seems indeed that it was an ground to air missile attack due to the fact that Russians thought Ukrainian "terrorists" were on that airplane. Not the first time this has happened either, I believe Iran was part of a similar incident.
Well, then, they would say that I suppose. It takes a military grade weapon to hit something 33,000 feet in the air. It's bizarre and that comment by the Russians if it came from the top doesn't sound very likely. I'll just stay tuned.

Uhhhh, the Russians have not said anything about them being anywhere remotely involved in this.
Now, if you're talking about the pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine, then that should be distinguished. Even then, no one is taking responsibility, but rather pointing fingers at each other (pro-Russian separatists at the Ukrainian military...Ukrainian military at the pro-Russian separatists)

The Buk surface-to-air is used by both the Russian and Ukrainian militaries and requires extensive training and expertise to operate. Now, whether or not Russia has been funneling weapons into Eastern Ukraine, they would be hard pressed to maneuver a Buk tank with missiles lodged on top, across the border. But, who knows. There are also unconfirmed reports that Putin's plane (he was just coming back from the BRICS summit in Brazil where they launched a $100 billion bank and currency pool to challenge the IMF and World Bank) was targeted as it was passing over. His IL-96 presidential plane looks similar to the Malaysian Boeing and the thoughts are that Flight 17 was mistaken for it. But, those are just wild rumors that always prop up during such disasters.

Other suggestions are of course that it was a false flag by the Ukrainian military trying to get worldwide attention and full-fledged support against the pro-Russian separatists in order to deal a crushing blow to whatever support they may have and essentially place pressure on Putin.

There were also reports of the pro-Russian commanders posting Twitter messages shortly after the plane went down boasting that they shot down a Ukrainian military cargo plane and then the twitter message was deleted. But, once again...who knows in this digital age when any account could get hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.