Magic's 1st Round Pick, Vazques decides not to play this season, going to Europe.

ORLANDO MAGIC
Vazquez won't play for Magic this season
First-round pick said he prefers to play in Europe next season but may try to jump to the NBA in a few years.

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 28, 2005, 7:08 PM EDT

The Orlando Magic were stunned today to hear the decision by first round draft pick Fran Vazquez that he will play this season in Europe instead of coming to the NBA. So was his agent.

Vazquez, a 6-10 power forward from Spain, was expected to play a significant role as a rookie this season, yet he suddenly decided he wasn't ready for the rigors of the NBA.

"I've said `no,' because I was afraid to adapt to the American way of life, and of not giving the level they have asked,'' Vazquez told the Spanish newspaper Malaga hoy today. "I'm not a coward, but I prefer to stay in Spain, progress, and who knows? Maybe jump to the NBA in a few years.''

The Magic made Vazquez, 22, the No. 11 pick in the NBA Draft in June, believing his skill level was far superior to other more well-known college players like Sean May, Danny Granger and Antoine Wright, all taken behind him.

"Yes, we're a little surprised,'' said Dave Twardzik, Magic co-general manager who had seen Vazquez play six different times in Europe. "The message we've been getting all along -- before the draft, after the draft -- was that he was excited about playing here. He said it was his dream to play in the NBA. I don't know (what changed his mind).''

As of this evening, the Magic had not spoken personally to Vazquez, but only to his European agent, Jose Cobelo. They had been in almost daily dialogue with either Cobelo in Spain, or his American-based partner Marc Cornstein.

Cornstein didn't return phone messages today, but he issued a statement to the media.

"I was shocked and dismayed to read over the internet that Fran is reconsidering his earlier decision to join the Orlando Magic. All my prior discussions were that he was excited to fullfill his dream of playing in the NBA,'' Cornstein said in his statement.

From the time they drafted Vazquez, the Magic said they were certain there would be no problem signing him.

"I ask for the Magic to understand my decision,'' Vazquez said today. "I apologize to them. I know they will be upset because I've had much time to make this decision. Everyone thought I was going (to the NBA), but I was still thinking about it.''

Even though Vazquez said he isn't coming this season, the Magic will retain his NBA rights indefinitely. And it's not uncommon for NBA teams to draft an international player, and then wait two or three years before he arrives.

Manu Ginobili, for example, was drafted by the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs in 1999, but he didn't play his first season until three years later. However, the Magic did expect Vazquez immediately. And they could have used him.

When he came to Orlando the day after the draft, Vazquez looked excited about coming, but in awe of his surroundings at the RDV Sportpsplex. When shown the Magic's locker room, he pulled out his camera and started taking pictures of Grant Hill's dressing stall. He also talked about living his dream of playing in the NBA.

"When you draft an international player, something like this is always possible. We talked about it before the draft,'' Twardzik said. "It's something he has to figure out now, if it's what he wants to do.''

The Magic expected to sign Vazquez shortly after the league and the players union formalized their new collective bargaining agreement, which is now expected to happen by the first of next week. Under the already agreed upon salary scale, Vazquez was slated to sign a fully-guaranteed contract worth more than $5 million over three years.

He did have a buyout clause from his previous contract in Spain that would have cost an estimated $650,000, although almost all of it was going to be paid by the Magic.

Because they hadn't talked to him recently, the Magic have not given up hope completely in signing him. If he stays in Europe, it will alter some of their plans for free agency. Even without Vazquez, they still have 13 players with guaranteed contracts (including free agent guard Keyon Dooling, who has agreed to a contract pending the new CBA).

It does leave them with only four power players -- Dwight Howard, Tony Battie, Kelvin Cato and Mario Kasun -- and a significant need to add at least one more center/power forward.

His absence, coupled with their lack of flexibility this summer under the salary cap, will hurt them from an image standpoint. They are still hurting from the trade last season of Cuttino Mobley in exchange for Doug Christie, who hardly played because of a previous injury then demanded a trade. They could have benefited from Vazquez international style of play.

They had not planned on re-signing free agent Andrew DeClercq, but that could change now. They have little to offer other free agents, less than half the $5.1 million middle-class exception which will be split with Dooling.

"Absolutely, we would have liked to have him this season,'' Twardzik said. "But if he stays there, he'll be playing with the best competition outside the NBA. When we do get him, he'll be a little stronger, a little more mature and his game a little more polished.''

-------------

This sucks for the Magic and thier fans, could of thought things out before the draft but by waiting he is putting that Franchise in trouble agian, and despite what he say's i do think hes a coward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ouch...

Orlando does retain his rights, however... I hope at some point what goes around comes around.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sloter said:
Sounds like a Bodiroga syndrome...
Yes, but ratehr abrupt. With Bodiroga you always got the feeling he had weighed things out carefully and made a tactical decision to stay in Europe. This article makes this sound like this might have been closer to just cold feet.

Why even enter the draft, then. Waste of a pick and if he ever does decide to come, he'll be one year behind in acclimating to the NBA and the states. I’d be damn pee if I was an Orlando fan. There are some players that they could’ve used that they passed up.

Last edited:
Man, the Magic have no luck with draft picks. Even this one, where they finally made what was considered a smart pick, backfires on them. He's 22 now, what does he need to spend a couple more seasons in Spain for? The Magic need frontcourt help now. Dwight Howard is going to be a great player, but he can't do it alone. By the time Vasquez decides he's ready, Howard might be ready to get with a real team.

Kev.in said:
Man, the Magic have no luck with draft picks. Even this one, where they finally made what was considered a smart pick, backfires on them. He's 22 now, what does he need to spend a couple more seasons in Spain for? The Magic need frontcourt help now. Dwight Howard is going to be a great player, but he can't do it alone. By the time Vasquez decides he's ready, Howard might be ready to get with a real team.
That´s true. The magic needs help, but on the other hand, I just want to say, that he is learning as a player, and maybe he thought that it is more difficult to learn being a NBa player. I think the key question is. Did the magic talk to Vazquez before the draft??

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
baiarri said:
That´s true. The magic needs help, but on the other hand, I just want to say, that he is learning as a player, and maybe he thought that it is more difficult to learn being a NBa player. I think the key question is. Did the magic talk to Vazquez before the draft??
Vazquez's own agent seems surprised and claims Fran was enthusiastic about playing in the NBA. Sounds like the guy just flaked.

IMO the orlando magic have one of the most inept ownership and management teams in the nba....and have been that way since they entered the league...

they get no pity from me....IMO they are reaping what they have sown

he's gotta do what's right for him. I don't judge him.
And what's wrong with Orlando, cursed or something... I mean so many stars slipped thru their fingers, now this 1st round pick.

Last edited:
Kev.in said:

That's pretty much my take as well. His decision is really weird. I wonder if a girl was involved or something. Is he trying to force a trade? Does his new contract have a smaller buyout clause? If so, I would definitely dangle Skinner or Thomas for the rights to Vazquez.