Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshua,

You don't do Donic any favors. You have put him on such a high pedestal and take such umbrage at any criticism you invite more.

He may be everything you say or not or more. Time will tell, nothing is set in stone yet.
I’m just saying to criticize a 19 year old for not being a defensive stopper is crazy especially when he’s doing everything for that team. If he were doing this for us we wouldn’t hear anything about his defense.

Yep his offense is outstanding. I don’t think anyone disagrees. Do you want to post his defensive highlights?
I don't think anyone disagrees that his defense isn't the best but in the end his offense outweighs his defensive flaws by quite a bit. The arguments against the kid at this point have really just become people grasping at straws. It's obvious that he's going to be a top player for years to come.

I’m just saying to criticize a 19 year old for not being a defensive stopper is crazy especially when he’s doing everything for that team. If he were doing this for us we wouldn’t hear anything about his defense.
I don't think they are asking him to be a stopper, simply for him to be adequate. I don't know if he is or isn't. I don't like Cuban or his position during the relocation saga. Nothing against the players but the team and the owner can go fly a kite.

Dallas was the perfect stop for him. Supposedly they have defensive players, the Kings? We've heard plenty about the Kings defense this year, you don't think we'd be hearing about his defense if the Kings were losing because of defense? I got a bridge to sell ya.

I think to truly be a superstar he has to improve his lateral quickness to be a 3. Most top power forwards give you some rim protection on defense. Jaren Jackson averages 1.5 blocks a game and Bagley averages 1.0 on much fewer minutes. One of Dallas’s problems is they are 24th in blocked shots and teams have a highway to the Rim. And that’s with Jordan being 25th. Luka at .3 a game is a big part of the problem. To provide a compare Justin is at a .2.
Honestly, I'm not so sure about that. He's a unique enough player (ala James Harden) to be a superstar without an ounce of defense. I think he will be the type of player that you put out there regardless of any defensive liabilities, and he's still going to be far and way a net positive on the team. He's already demonstrated he can control most aspects of the game with a high usage rate.

Maybe we are splitting hairs a little bit with the term "superstar", as it is subjective. I believe strongly that he will be a multiple time first or second team all-NBA player in his career (i.e. considered to be a top 10 player). There is of course subjectivity in everything (it's still a vote of writers to get an all-nba honor), but generally speaking I think most agree with the all-nba selections as reflective of the top players in the game in any given year.

If you define "superstar" as multiple MVPs (Lebron, Curry, maybe Harden....) then OK, I completely agree that is a transcendent, all-time great level that I'm less comfortable saying Luka will reach based on current evidence (although I would not put it out of the relm of possibility).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Come on, Joshoua. Be honest. No one is allowed to post any criticism of Doncic without you (and a few others) immediately trying to turn it into something else. We're not neophytes to the world of message board debate here. You're doing the discussion of Doncic a disfavor.

Doncic has a weakness in his game - it's his defense. He needs to work on that aspect to round out his skill levels. It's not about him being a defensive stopper. It's about him not being a liability on defense.

You think it wouldn't be discussed if he was in the uniform of the Kings? Seriously? People around here will criticize a triple-double if the player commits too many fouls.

As others have said, putting Doncic up so high on that pedestal pretty much ensures people will make a point to knock him off, especially on a competing Western Conference team's board.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You think it wouldn't be discussed if he was in the uniform of the Kings? Seriously? People around here will criticize a triple-double if the player commits too many fouls.
Seriously; there's never been a sacred cow, in the history of this fandom. Not Rock, not Webb, not Divac, not Martin, not Evans, not Cousins, not Fox... not nobody. You name a star/borderline star who's ever worn a Kings jersey, and I'll introduce you to a poster(s) who is/was loudly hating on him. I assure you that Doncic would have been no different.

The closest thing that the city of Sacramento has ever had to a "universally loved" basketball star is Yolanda Griffith.

Come on, Joshoua. Be honest. No one is allowed to post any criticism of Doncic without you (and a few others) immediately trying to turn it into something else. We're not neophytes to the world of message board debate here. You're doing the discussion of Doncic a disfavor.

Doncic has a weakness in his game - it's his defense. He needs to work on that aspect to round out his skill levels. It's not about him being a defensive stopper. It's about him not being a liability on defense.

As others have said, putting Doncic up so high on that pedestal pretty much ensures people will make a point to knock him off, especially on a competing Western Conference team's board.
Fair criticism yes but to say he got 7 rebounds cause he stood in the block playing no defense is pure hate and not realistic. I don’t expect him to be a lock down defender but he’s shown that he won’t be sought out like the Cavs did curry in the finals.

Another weakness is FTs he’s got to get that together

I don't think anyone disagrees that his defense isn't the best but in the end his offense outweighs his defensive flaws by quite a bit. The arguments against the kid at this point have really just become people grasping at straws. It's obvious that he's going to be a top player for years to come.
I don’t think anyone disagrees his offense outweighs his defense. The question is at what level is a superstar, not in terms of popular opinion as he has already hit that point, that leads his team to a championship. To do that I don’t think his current level of defense would reach that level. It could absolutely get there if he can improve his lateral quickness.

Fair criticism yes but to say he got 7 rebounds cause he stood in the block playing no defense is pure hate and not realistic. I don’t expect him to be a lock down defender but he’s shown that he won’t be sought out like the Cavs did curry in the finals.

Another weakness is FTs he’s got to get that together
It’s not hate, I don’t hate any player. I have spent too much time around high level sports to hate a player. In the game I watched, his sole job defensively was to stand by the low block and collect boards. To his credit he did that well. He has good hands.

But just like people should put WCS rebound total in context that he is often guarding guys on the perimeter, Luka’s should be in context that he often isn’t guarding guys on the perimeter.

Who is criticizing him? We are criticizing those in this thread that have already annointed him a superstar. If Luka himself were in this thread he would probably agree he has to improve to be a superstar. He will have to see how teams adjust to him and if he can counter those adjustments.

BTW. Your over the top hero worship extends to “he’s doing everything for this team”. He’s not. He is scoring, scoring in the clutch and rebounding on the defensive end. He is not stopping dribble penetration, fighting through screens, protecting the rim, gathering offensive rebounds. He may in the future.

Honestly, I'm not so sure about that. He's a unique enough player (ala James Harden) to be a superstar without an ounce of defense. I think he will be the type of player that you put out there regardless of any defensive liabilities, and he's still going to be far and way a net positive on the team. He's already demonstrated he can control most aspects of the game with a high usage rate.

Maybe we are splitting hairs a little bit with the term "superstar", as it is subjective. I believe strongly that he will be a multiple time first or second team all-NBA player in his career (i.e. considered to be a top 10 player). There is of course subjectivity in everything (it's still a vote of writers to get an all-nba honor), but generally speaking I think most agree with the all-nba selections as reflective of the top players in the game in any given year.

If you define "superstar" as multiple MVPs (Lebron, Curry, maybe Harden....) then OK, I completely agree that is a transcendent, all-time great level that I'm less comfortable saying Luka will reach based on current evidence (although I would not put it out of the relm of possibility).
Yeah that’s a fair point. How do you define superstar. For me that player leads his team to a championship but we could debate about that point.

Right now Doncic’s game reminds me of IT’s game. Which does not mean it will stay at that level. And IT went to the all star game.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Seriously; there's never been a sacred cow, in the history of this fandom. Not Rock, not Webb, not Divac, not Martin, not Evans, not Cousins, not Fox... not nobody. You name a star/borderline star who's ever worn a Kings jersey, and I'll introduce you to a poster(s) who is/was loudly hating on him. I assure you that Doncic would have been no different.

The closest thing that the city of Sacramento has ever had to a "universally loved" basketball star is Yolanda Griffith.

I will shiv anyone who dares badmouth the sainted Yo.

I don’t think anyone disagrees his offense outweighs his defense. The question is at what level is a superstar, not in terms of popular opinion as he has already hit that point, that leads his team to a championship. To do that I don’t think his current level of defense would reach that level. It could absolutely get there if he can improve his lateral quickness.
Think about the point you're trying to make. That he's not playing championship level defense in his first 40 games in the league. That's exactly what I mean by grasping at straws. Lebron, Durant, Curry, Klay, Kyrie etc etc didn't play championship level defense their rookie years either.

Think about the point you're trying to make. That he's not playing championship level defense in his first 40 games in the league. That's exactly what I mean by grasping at straws. Lebron, Durant, Curry, Klay, Kyrie etc etc didn't play championship level defense their rookie years either.
Think about the point I am refuting. That Doncic is guaranteed to be a superstar right now!

If his defense improves then I agree he could well be. But that point is clearly an if. I’m not saying he should be playing superstar level defense now.

Think about the point I am refuting. That Doncic is guaranteed to be a superstar right now!

If his defense improves then I agree he could well be. But that point is clearly an if. I’m not saying he should be playing superstar level defense now.
I don't think he's guaranteed to be a superstar but the planets are about as aligned for it as they possibly could be for a 19 year old.

Nothing is ever really guaranteed unless you have a Tim Duncan type rookie year but there is no denying he's already impacting the game at a pretty high level. I didn't expect Dallas to be 20 and 23 with Doncic running the show.

I don't think he's guaranteed to be a superstar but the planets are about as aligned for it as they possibly could be for a 19 year old.

Nothing is ever really guaranteed unless you have a Tim Duncan type rookie year but there is no denying he's already impacting the game at a pretty high level. I didn't expect Dallas to be 20 and 23 with Doncic running the show.
Really? With Harrison Barnes and them adding Jordan and expecting some progression from DSJ?

Doncic is like Bogi coming over in level of experience. 20-23 to me is around what I expected.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Really? With Harrison Barnes and them adding Jordan and expecting some progression from DSJ?

Doncic is like Bogi coming over in level of experience. 20-23 to me is around what I expected.

Mavs fans hate those two players for some reason and they're looking to dump DSJ.

If there's one thing that I think could stymie Luka's NBA career it's Dallas's front office potentially giving him a horrific supporting cast.

Mavs fans hate those two players for some reason and they're looking to dump DSJ.

If there's one thing that I think could stymie Luka's NBA career it's Dallas's front office potentially giving him a horrific supporting cast.
Barnes is hated cause he stated off as a black hole and stopped the offense. He’s moved on now and he’s more of a 3D Guy.

Jordan is another story people who back him also thought Carmelo Anthony was still good last year when he was pure garbage 2-4 years ago. DJ rarely challenges shots, plays terrible pick and roll defense when he’s locked in he’s good.

Who is criticizing him? We are criticizing those in this thread that have already annointed him a superstar. If Luka himself were in this thread he would probably agree he has to improve to be a superstar. He will have to see how teams adjust to him and if he can counter those adjustments.

BTW. Your over the top hero worship extends to “he’s doing everything for this team”. He’s not. He is scoring, scoring in the clutch and rebounding on the defensive end. He is not stopping dribble penetration, fighting through screens, protecting the rim, gathering offensive rebounds. He may in the future.
Come on man you know “he does everything” means he’s creating there offense and scoring.

Kyrie only plays defense in the playoffs as does Lebron as well just ask Cavs/laker fans. Durant is allowed to play defense cause his team is unfairly stacked he can take 80% of plays off and play defense no other star can do that.

"He played in Europe last season. The rest of the rookie class played in college. So he's in the second best league in the world learning how to play the game. He didn't have to go to class, study hall, none of that extra stuff the rest of the guys had to go through, he was just focusing on his game probably since he was 14 years old."
Unfortunately he missed important university lessons such as "the earth is flat", hope Kyrie is gonna share his notes.
Kevin is upset because probably half of his votes are self made by many different accounts. He needs some help, come on guys.

"He played in Europe last season. The rest of the rookie class played in college. So he's in the second best league in the world learning how to play the game. He didn't have to go to class, study hall, none of that extra stuff the rest of the guys had to go through, he was just focusing on his game probably since he was 14 years old."
Unfortunately he missed important university lessons such as "the earth is flat", hope Kyrie is gonna share his notes.
Kevin is upset because probably half of his votes are self made by many different accounts. He needs some help, come on guys.
Sucks when you win 2 rings but nobody respects it

The rookie wall usually applies to rookies who come from the shorter season NCAA system.

The 2017-18 season Luka played:

37 ACB Games
33 Euro League Games

Both leagues run Oct-June, a schedule more similar to the NBA than the NCAA.

While he might hit a lull he's better prepared for the NBA season than those coming from the NCAA system.
Luka did have a strech of games in EU when he strugled. It depends how you define a wall, but every player, not just rookie strugle from time to time.

Yeah they complained about Jordan stealing rebounds from Luka. LOL. Jordan is the anchor of that defense and the only thing keeping it from being a highway to the rim.

Anchor of the defense? Even Mavs fans are complaining about his defense, saying he's just fighting for rebounds. Not just Doncic fans. Let's say he COULD/SHOULD be the anchor.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Apparently, the Mavs are looking to dump DSJ according to Woj. I guess Doncic and DSJ can't co-exist, can they? The interesting thing for me is to see what kind of value the Mavs get for DSJ, given that it's been broadcast that the Mavs want to dump him and DSJ doesn't want to be there. Could be a fire sale, in which case that 1st rounder they used to acquire DSJ is thrown into the waste basket.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Apparently, the Mavs are looking to dump DSJ according to Woj. I guess Doncic and DSJ can't co-exist, can they? The interesting thing for me is to see what kind of value the Mavs get for DSJ, given that it's been broadcast that the Mavs want to dump him and DSJ doesn't want to be there. Could be a fire sale, in which case that 1st rounder they used to acquire DSJ is thrown into the waste basket.
It was said the Mavs were the perfect team for Luka, and they've sure done everything possible to magnify his personal star power while minimizing whatever deficiencies he may have. It seems they'll have the only rookie on the all star team this year and he'll run away with the rookie of the year honors. At some point you have to wonder what happens to teams where the players' star shines brighter than the team. Lucky they have 7 years to figure it out, but losing the first rounder on both sides of your cornerstone is always going to make it a tougher hill to climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.