Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't think our FO should be fired either (except Brandon Williams) but I think they made a mistake with the pick. I don't think they whiffed on the best player and drafted a bust but I think they made a mistake and didn't draft the player that I think will win more games in the future and I'm not basing that off of their rookie year comparisons. I've held that belief since before either one of them stepped onto an NBA court.
There are others here who have a much less level-headed approach and are using this to continue their personal agenda.

The team is lucky enough to have a good coach and a consensus pick young franchise player on their hands.

Why is there an assistant GM with a power struggle over a coach, other than he wants a new coach for his end? Where else does it happen that assistant GMs have that type of say and aren’t worried about being fired? Why hasn’t he been fired if he’s acting so subversive? Right now, I’m not 100% sure who is answering the phones, and neither are some prominent STR writers
I thought Vlade pursued and signed the coach and picked the franchise player?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
No one is stating that the rookie of the year is always the best player from the draft. Tyreke is an outlier and an exception, not the norm. For every "Look at Tyreke" point you make, someone can counter that with "Look at Simmons, Towns, Lillard, Irving, Griffin, Durant, Paul, LBJ" etc etc. There's like 4 or 5 really great ROYs for every 1 that didn't turn out all that great. Normally when a player is good as a rookie, they're even better as a vet. Most players don't start out on top and slowly get worse the way Tyreke did for a while.

Luka fans are naturally going to be mad at the front office for not picking him. It's the natural trajectory of the conversation if you wanted Luka in this draft. I don't see why there anyone should be surprised by that.

I don't think our FO should be fired either (except Brandon Williams) but I think they made a mistake with the pick. I don't think they whiffed on the best player and drafted a bust but I think they made a mistake and didn't draft the player that I think will win more games in the future and I'm not basing that off of their rookie year comparisons. I've held that belief since before either one of them stepped onto an NBA court.
Very reasonable, but others seem to be more "extreme" in their opinions. You are not the most vocal of the Luka-or-bust crowd, either. I think Luka could end up being better than Bagley, but I also see Bagley improving at a very good rate and if this continues, he may end up as the best in the draft. That's why I don't get all the angst. It's like you have two delicious-looking/smelling cakes in the oven you've never tried before and two minutes into baking folks are declaring one to be the best. How about we let them finish baking first, try them, and then decide? Right now we are just getting the first "smell" of these two. Let them mature into what they will become before calling for the baker's head.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Which paragraph of what article are you referring so I can see it. I think I’ve read pretty much most of what is out there. Are you referring to the November 29 article?
The one in the Athletic, I don't have a sub and don't know the date but that sounds right. I was able to read the article elsewhere and it seemed to make it pretty clear that it was Williams that lobbied hard for Bagley and also pretty sure it specifically mentioned his connection to Matina.

Which even without the article, I think an astute observer could figure out. Why else would Williams be pushing so hard for Bagley to play at the expense of possibly winning games right now unless he staked his reputation on that draft?

The one in the Athletic, I don't have a sub and don't know the date but that sounds right. I was able to read the article elsewhere and it seemed to make it pretty clear that it was Williams that lobbied hard for Bagley and also pretty sure it specifically mentioned his connection to Matina.

Which even without the article, I think an astute observer could figure out. Why else would Williams be pushing so hard for Bagley to play at the expense of possibly winning games right now unless he staked his reputation on that draft?
Bro, I hate to call you out on this, but I haven’t seen anything anywhere about Bagley being a Williams decision. I just read Amicks article again on this situation, and that wasn’t stated. I’d love someone to show me otherwise.

Talk about personal agendas? Some agendas may be to purposefully protect Vlade. Why?

Yes, the initial Haynes article spoke about the disconnect between coach and FO on Bagley’s minutes, but it also mentioned Giles/Skal and spoke of it as a broader development v winning issue.

Nor IMO would it make sense that the person not in charge of the FO would have the greatest say in the draft pick

Given the fact that I wonder about Williams influence, I might speculate he was just setting the stage of discord or propaganda against Joerger to possibly bring his own guy in eventually. But that’s just a possibility

FWIW, Carmichael Dave said on the drive that he talked to Vlade and asked him about Bagley and that Vlade said yes he wanted Bagley and gave him all the reasons why. He also said they liked Luka a lot as well but they felt Bagley was the right choice for them..
Did he talk about the reasons why

Did he talk about the reasons why
i cannot remember everything exactly but the Duke's game that they went to was mentioned as leaving an impression (which Vlade has mentioned himself in the post draft interview) and also Bagley's potential

(edit: not that they based their decision on that one game but that they started following after seeing him live...)

so, its halftime in the Kings game. I quickly look into the Mavs/Rockes game and see Rockets are up 102-94 with like 3 minutes left. Luka scores 11 straight to put Mavs up by 3. 3 threes and 1 two. clutch.

Last edited:
Come on man let’s not describe players off reputation there’s no all star or 1st team all defense player on that team.
How do you know that? You don't. DJ is performing strikingly similar to the past 5 years in LA when he achieved that reputation.
You saying it isn't true doesn't make it so. You have a Luka agenda, understandably so, and are seeing what you want to see.

I'm not saying it's all DJ. I'm not even saying DJ is the exact same player he was in the LA the past 5 years. But he's been close. And he's having as much of an impact on that team as Luka. As is the rest of the starting lineup. But having that anchor in the middle gobbling up rebounds and providing help defense (even if the blocks are down) has been huge for that team.

That's all I'm saying.

I wanted Luka too. But let's not make more out of his impact than it really has been. He's had a lot of support to help him be as great as he's been this far.

here, i actually found it, you can start at 30:40 and in few seconds there is about 2 minutes talking about the draft choice (as part of the larger discussion about Vlade potentially being overruled): https://omny.fm/shows/the-drive-with-carmichael-dave/11-30-18-the-drive-with-carmichael-dave-hour-2
Most concerning part from my vantage is Dave being emphatic that Vlade is still in complete control.

I’d be torn with Williams having an axe for Joerger, who I think is a very good coach though. Ultimately I’d prefer Joerger to stay with a new FO voice, though I don’t know how it gets there

I don't think it should be controversial at all to say the Kings blew it. It isn't that MB3 won't be a serviceable player, it is that they severely misjudged who would be more NBA ready and who has the biggest upside. It appears Luka is going to be among the future perennial all stars at this rate, and MG3 will be the fringe big who makes the "honorable mention" lists.

lol Luka 11-0 run

I don't think it should be controversial at all to say the Kings blew it. It isn't that MB3 won't be a serviceable player, it is that they severely misjudged who would be more NBA ready and who has the biggest upside. It appears Luka is going to be among the future perennial all stars at this rate, and MG3 will be the fringe big who makes the "honorable mention" lists.
That’s what most are saying it’s not that Bagley is bad he looks good but Luka is special

This reminds me a game winner against Crvena Zvezda in Euroleague. Unfortunately he won't score this kind of baskets against NBA elite athletes. Oh wait...
No way his step back works in the nba and he can’t shoot.

Mario Hezonja is a bust you’re a fool if you think Luka will be good.

NCAA > EuroLeague

He can’t shoot

He needs to make multiple moves to beat his man in Europe nonway that works here

That stepback.....wow! Keep it up Luka, you have an infectious zest for the moment that I find enjoyable to watch.
He makes the game look easy and simple, doesn't he? And that's the hardest thing to master.
There are rookie mistakes here and there as expected, but I've lost count how many crows I had eaten. The kid is not only skilled as advertised but also tough, not afraid of contacts and traffic when needed.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Huh? Literally no one in the league ever thought Bags would be more NBA ready than Luka.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.