LOTTERY ALERT!! - 2010 WNBA Draft Lottery.....

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Fourteen balls numbered 1-14 will be placed in a lottery machine and mixed. Four balls will then be drawn to the top to determine a four-digit combination. The team that has been assigned that four-ball combination will receive the No. 1 pick. The four balls will then be placed back into the machine and the process will be repeated to determine the second and third picks.
Well, what if the four balls that come out are numbered 11, 12, 13 and 14? How do they make a four-digit combination out of that? :confused:

Folks on Rebkell are saying that Minnesota got the #1 pick (from New York trade), and that the Monarch got the #2. I wish that we had gotten the #1, but we got Ticha at #2 and Yo I think as well.

Can anyone else confirm the #2 pick for us???

What in the world is Minny gonna do with the #1 and #4 picks :confused:. They have been stockpiling College All Stars for the past several seasons (Augustus, Montgomery, Anosike, Wiggins, Houston, Humphrey) and have absolutely nothing to show for it. And now two more Top five picks?? I would not want to be their coach or GM for nothing.

I don't follow women's college basketball very closely. So for you epxerts out there, who do you see the Monarchs maybe taking with the #2 pick?

I'll take the number two pick, could have been worse (Yes, I watched in dismay as the Kings got the fourth pick :() I'd be happy with Appel...it will be interesting to see how Prince performs overseas. Does anyone know where she's playing?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Number 2 isn't that bad. Just take Jayne Appel or Tina Charles, whichever one Minnesota passes on. Either way you get a 6'4" center who can score, rebound, and play defense.

Minny is in a nice spot to parlay their picks and players into something they need. At minimum, they're gonna get a very talented young big at worst, they'll trade the other pick or a player for something next year - which is Maya Moore Sweepstakes year.

Number 2 is not bad at all this year...at all.

Luv Me Some Jayne Appel

I guess I will start getting my Jayne Appel Monarchs gear together. My guess is that #2 will be available for her. (It better be Whiz!!!)

Interesting... Wearing number 2 and going 2 in the draft. That is unless Tina Charles totally tanks. Or Minny Takes Prince. Which is a possibility. either way. I am pretty sure Appel is staying in California.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I guess I will start getting my Jayne Appel Monarchs gear together. My guess is that #2 will be available for her. (It better be Whiz!!!)

Interesting... Wearing number 2 and going 2 in the draft. That is unless Tina Charles totally tanks. Or Minny Takes Prince. Which is a possibility. either way. I am pretty sure Appel is staying in California.

Staying in Cali? I'm down with that.

What kind of game does Appel have? I have seen her play one time.
Is she strictly a post player in the mold of Griffith?
Is she a hybrid in the mold of Lauren Jackson or Lisa Leslie?
Does she have any facing the basket skills?

Here are the 2008-09 numbers:

Games played: 38
Minutes/game: 26.0
Points/game: 16.1
FG Pct: 60.2
3FG Pct: 0.0
FT Pct: 65.3
Rebounds/game: 9.2
Assists/game: 2.8
Turnovers/game: 2.3
Assist/turnover ratio: 1.2
Steals/game: 0.7
Blocks/game: 1.8

What kind of game does Appel have? I have seen her play one time.
Is she strictly a post player in the mold of Griffith?

Is she a hybrid in the mold of Lauren Jackson or Lisa Leslie?
Definitely no.

Does she have any facing the basket skills?

(1) No comparison to Yo at all. I would say Crystal Langhorne is the nearest to Yo of any player I've seen coming out of college recently. What I would say is she's an upgrade (skills-wise) over Harper so you'd get better skills out of that height.

(2) Definitely no comparison to Jackson or Leslie or any other mobile F/C you'd have to honor offensively from the free throw line out in the league. Jayne can get up and down the floor, but she seemed to me to have conditioning issues - but not to the extent of Paris.

(3) Not really although I suspect that's where her game will go this season at Stanford. In fact I would be very surprised if it doesnt.

Appel is like a taller version of Paris to me. Only she is much more mobile and her game is a little bit more extended than Paris' is right now. And by "game" I mean what she actually does in a game. She reportedly has 3pt range, but she's not allowed to take shots there until she leads the country in FG% and she was close last year.

Appel also can get up and down the floor on the break better than Paris.

But Appel's strength is her ability to pass the ball and her hands once you give her the ball down low. Look at her assist numbers.

Whiz pretty much said last night on KingsTalk that if the draft was today, the top 2 are the two posts and he's likely to take whichever one doesn't go to Minny as the BPA. He also said things could change like they did in this past draft.

I've seen Appel play....let's hope we get her. I don't think Minny will get prince....they have a logjam at that spot with Augustus and Wiggins...unless they want to have a Phx-like style. They will most likely get a big to put along side Anosike. Boy, that would be a good team with:

C/PF Draft pick and Anosike, Humphrey
SG/PG Augustus, montgomery, and Wiggins
SF Hodges, Houston

We still need a real good big though.....but Prince can certainly be an offensive machine which we don't have.

I LOVE Appel's game. She has the ability to run and facilitate an offense from a post position, granted that is at Stanford and I'm not sure how she'd fit in the M's "offense". She has great hands and passing ability, she is often used in a lot of high/low situations. Offensively she's most effective on the block and is able to seal out defenders well. As MBF mentioned, she can shoot the three but hasn't/can't showcase that with all the 3 point shooters Stanford has. Off the top of my head, I guess I would compare her game to Vlade Divac...can't really think of someone in the W to compare her to.

There really isn't an NBA comparison to Appel.
She is a BIG BIG BIG wide Bodied, Long Armed Post player. She is leaner and Much Quicker than Paris, and probably Harper. She always hustle to beat folks down the court. And her Hands are unparallel. She can catch everything, a fantastic passer, probably the best passer on Stanford’s team. She has really strong skill sets and my guess is she will fit in just fine in the M's system. She will struggle initially in the White Line, she has something that you can teach. She wants to be successful. So Coach Mo will have a great student to mold another quality Pro post player.

The one thing I am concerned about is not necessarily her conditioning. By March/April she will be in her fitness. I am concerned about her durability. She has had some sort of surgery/injury every off-season which has limited her ability to do off-season conditioning. She is still a solid for #2.

Minny Better not take her or I will be really upset. And If Whiz messes this up, I will be too thru.

My question is what kind of off-season maneuvering will be happening. We actually have pieces to move that can get us a return on our investment now. This Team still needs to be Blown-up and remade. Or at least retooled. I would definitely entertain some trade offers. If for nothing else draft picks in next years draft.

FYI if you watch Stanford, the player I think has the most Pro potential is Appel's post Mate Kayla Pedersen. She doesn't get the Glory,, but she does everything Appel does including shooting 3's and getting the toughest defensive assignments. She had the Defensive assignment against Candace Parker when Stanford Upset them, As a Freshman. You may want to keep her on your watch list.

hrdboild

Staff member
Well, if it came down to a choice I think I'd go with Tina Charles at this point for sheer intimidation factor. She's the stronger rebounder/defender of the two. Her post game isn't as consistent and she doesn't have the same passing prowess, but she can be a one-woman wrecking crew when she gets it together. And she's also shown a pretty deadly top of the key jumper on occasion. It'll be interesting to see how she builds off her playoff performance last year because it seemed like she was starting to show the consistent effort she'd been lacking up to that point.

Jayne Appel was in much better shape last year and has also shown that she can dominate a game -- just in different ways. Vlade seems like a pretty good comparison to me. She isn't going to wow you with her athleticism, but she takes her time and uses fakes and counters well to score regardless. And if you double-team her she will make you pay with a pass to the open player for an easy layup or wide-open jump shot. That's a pretty deadly combination too. And on the defensive end she'll cause problems for the other team because of her size, just don't expect her to beat anyone back down the court.

Luckily (or unluckily depending on your point of view) it's not going to be our decision to make anyway. Unless something crazy happens, they're probably both going to go 1-2 in the draft and Minnesota picks first.

Tina Charles

Well I am operating under the assumption that Tina Charles will go #1. As I stated earlier unless Charles totally tanks, she should be the UNO.

That is why we are talking about Appel. I am hoping that we don't fall in love with the idea of getting Prince. To Me that is Fool's Gold.
Do we need an explosive 2 guard?
Absolutely!
But if we take her then we are locked in.

If we take Appel or Charles, then we have pieces to move. We can Keep Appel or trade her. We can Move another Young post and get a guard in return. Or we can make a blockbuster trade and get that explosive player on the wing.

Also bear in mind that we have the 1st pick in the Second round. So we might want to have our minds on a sleeper. Someone who for whatever reason falls out of the first round.

There is NO REASON why we should not be active in the Free agent and trade markets.
NONE!!!! And I think that is the only way we will plug the gaping holes that have plaguing the team for years now.

hrdboild

Staff member
You said you would be mad if Minny took Appel, and no one had really said much about Tina Charles in this topic yet. I expect Charles to be the #1 pick too, but there's still a whole season to play. Appel could have a really good season and Tina Charles could revert back to being inconsistent so we'll just have to wait and see.

Crazy trade idea for the day:

Brunson and #2 Pick to Minny for Wiggins and the #1 pick.

Minnesota finally gets a veteran post player with championship experience and still can pick up Appel or Charles if they choose to. That being said, hopefully they move to the East.

We get a legitimate starting 2 guard who can play some point and should fit in well into our defense. We also get our choice of Appel or Charles and continue our rebuilding process.

Crazy trade idea for the day:

Brunson and #2 Pick to Minny for Wiggins and the #1 pick.

Minnesota finally gets a veteran post player with championship experience and still can pick up Appel or Charles if they choose to. That being said, hopefully they move to the East.

We get a legitimate starting 2 guard who can play some point and should fit in well into our defense. We also get our choice of Appel or Charles and continue our rebuilding process.
I kinda like that.

Interesting...

But then Why bother putting the Picks in the trade? It seems Like the trade is Brunson For Wiggins straight up. Which I may be willing to entertain.

But I have to be honest. And this will not make me popular.

I see no reason in Keeping Nicole and Kara. One of them needs to be moved. Me personally I think Kara Lawson really doesn't help our situation at the 2 guard. I mean aren't we in the market for a 2 guard, and yet we have Kara Lawson. All-Star and Olympian. I know she has a High basketball IQ but she never seems to stay healthy except for the Olympic year, and she doesn't seem athletic enough to move the offense. But because she was injured here trade value has been diminished.

I use to be very high On Nicole. But She still seems rather disinterested in taking her game to STAR Level. To her credit she did make the All-Star team and should have been the ASG MVP (SCREW YOU SUE BIRD!) But it ain't in her to be a STAR. And that is what we need. However, she is more valuable than Lawson for a few reasons. She is Bigger and can shoot over people, and She is Durable. She doesn't miss games.

I would rather try and hang onto Brunson and Package Lawson with Harper/Paris for Wiggins. Lawson would be the Player that can stabilize the Minny Locker-room.

I use to be very high On Nicole. But She still seems rather disinterested in taking her game to STAR Level. To her credit she did make the All-Star team and should have been the ASG MVP (SCREW YOU SUE BIRD!) But it ain't in her to be a STAR. And that is what we need. However, she is more valuable than Lawson for a few reasons. She is Bigger and can shoot over people, and She is Durable. She doesn't miss games.

I would rather try and hang onto Brunson and Package Lawson with Harper/Paris for Wiggins. Lawson would be the Player that can stabilize the Minny Locker-room.
I have no problem trading a combination of Lawson, Harper, Paris, Robinson and/or #2 pick if it could get us a quality, bonafide young veteran that can be at least a #2 scoring option sharing the load with Nicole Powell and Rebekkah Brunson.

I disagree about Powell. I believe that last season she turned the corner leading not to super-stardom, but to the unquestioned leader of this team "on" the floor. You can win a championship with Powell, but you have to support her with talent to take the load off of her. In my opinion there is less than a handful of players with the gifts of talent AND leadership to take a team put it on her back and win a championship. Diana Taurasi, Lauren Jackson (when healthy), Becky Hammon, Tameka Catchings Candace Parker (yet to be proven). Everybody else are part of an ensemble, that is lacking either in the gift of leadership or the gift of talent Powell is one of those players.

Some of the players that come to mind that would fit well on this team includes:
Candice Wiggins (Minny has an influx of talent available)
Renee Montgomery (Ditto!!, but I think is an untouchable)
Alana Beard (Numbers are sliding, could be had for the right price)
Shavonte Zellous (Between her and Hornbuckle one could be had)
Alexis Hornbuckle (Ditto!! Both play the same position same minutes)
Tanisha Wright (Could be had for the "Wright" price)
Jia Perkins
Iziane Castro Marques (The player on this list that may be unavailable)