Looking ahead to the 2022 Draft

This Holmgren might be the gem teams have waited for. I'm interested to see what goes down. KG/Pau hybrid?
Yeah, how he handles physicality is gonna be huge. If he's still an effective rim protector/doesn't get moved out of the paint... phew those guard skills are something.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, how he handles physicality is gonna be huge. If he's still an effective rim protector/doesn't get moved out of the paint... phew those guard skills are something.
The physicality thing is going to be an issue for him for sure. It'll be interesting seeing how he adjusts to the typical 6'7"/6'8" bruiser a lot of college teams generally throw out there against Gonzaga. Wembanyama absolutely man-handled him in U-19 worlds. Then again, Wembanyama is quite possibly the single most impressive 17 year old prospect I have ever seen including Lebron (with all due respect to Bron, he wasn't a 7'2" behemoth with a 7'8" wingspan and Dame shooting range.

Right now Banchero is getting slotted ahead of Chet in some mocks, who kinda reminds me of a Julius Randle with better feet on defense. And Emoni Bates is now in the 2022 draft too and while he's not developed like people assumed he would two or three years ago (sub-par wingspan, super annoying dad dynamics gives me Marvin Bagley vibes), his offensive repertoire is legit.

Jabari Smith Jr., btw, is way more athletic than his father and actually has a bit of Dirk to his game last I saw him.

(I went down a scouting rabbit hole during the depths of COVID lockdown)

The physicality thing is going to be an issue for him for sure. It'll be interesting seeing how he adjusts to the typical 6'7"/6'8" bruiser a lot of college teams generally throw out there against Gonzaga. Wembanyama absolutely man-handled him in U-19 worlds. Then again, Wembanyama is quite possibly the single most impressive 17 year old prospect I have ever seen including Lebron (with all due respect to Bron, he wasn't a 7'2" behemoth with a 7'8" wingspan and Dame shooting range.

Right now Banchero is getting slotted ahead of Chet in some mocks, who kinda reminds me of a Julius Randle with better feet on defense. And Emoni Bates is now in the 2022 draft too and while he's not developed like people assumed he would two or three years ago (sub-par wingspan, super annoying dad dynamics gives me Marvin Bagley vibes), his offensive repertoire is legit.

Jabari Smith Jr., btw, is way more athletic than his father and actually has a bit of Dirk to his game last I saw him.

(I went down a scouting rabbit hole during the depths of COVID lockdown)
The good news for Chet is that putting on weight is probably the easiest skill to do for an elite college/NBA player if they put the time in. Chet's frame doesn't look all that great to adding weight, but he needs just enough to not get thrown into the 5th row by NBA centers when he goes up for an NBA rebound.

IIRC, Kristaps was really skinny when he first came over too and he filled out his frame real nicely. Obviously, Giannis as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

On the one hand, Chet is awesome. On the other hand, not sure how great I’d feel about using my number one overall pick on a dude with straws for legs.
There have been a multitude of great basketball players that looked like stick men when they came into the league but looked completely different a few years later. Holmgren is extremely talented and I wouldn't bet against him. Gonzaga is going to be fun to watch again this coming season. Been getting all my cheat sheets ready...

Sam Vecenie released his mock draft today on the athletic. He has bigs being drafted with the first several picks and 13/14 wings going in the first, many of whom are projected mid to late round. I’m done with ping pong balls for the next several years so I will be rooting for the worst possible draft position going forward. We know Monte is true to his word when he says “best player available” so hopefully that dude is a wing.

Last edited:
Sam Vecenie released his mock draft today on the athletic. He has bigs being drafted with the first several picks and 13/14 wings going in the first, many of whom are projected mid to late round. I’m done with ping pong balls for the next several years so I will be rooting for the worst possible draft position going forward. We know Monte is true to his word when he says “best player available” so hopefully that dude is a wing.
While I certainly want the Kings to win, there is a small part of me that would like to see the Kings finish in their customary 9-12 lottery spot. Almost certainly the BPA will be an under 6’ 5” guard and I am curious how far Monte will carry his BPA mantra.

While I certainly want the Kings to win, there is a small part of me that would like to see the Kings finish in their customary 9-12 lottery spot. Almost certainly the BPA will be an under 6’ 5” guard and I am curious how far Monte will carry his BPA mantra.
I figured it out. You enjoy watching the world burn.

We will see how the college season goes but it appears there will be several wings available in the first round. Yeh, it would be odd to draft another guard but who knows what our roster will look like next offseason.