LIVE comments on Feb 14th city council meeting

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Most (not all!) of those there tonight rocking the #FANS (Fund Arena Now Sacramento) white shirts at the CC meeting tonight - largely due to Mike's single-handed effort to generate support to show up and have a voice. But this isn't enough, we want even MORE in two weeks. So show up at the meeting and let your voice be heard, even if it is just wearing a free t-shirt and sitting in a seat. It's important to the future of the arena effort.

Attachments

Thank you to everyone who made February 14th at Sacramento City Hall a success. YOU ARE THE HEROES AND MADE A DIFFERENCE. Please join us on February 28th. #OneMoreTime #BiggerThanBasketball #FANS

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jdbraver

Wow i think there is a bit too much optimism in the thread. The final vote will be closer than last nights. Id say closer to the tnt debacle vote. If some politician stick to the only if it doesnt hurt the general fund line we could b in trouble.

so my question is that if the council votes in favor on feb 28, what possible way that this arena WON'T get built.
The NBA rejects the financing plan? Or part of it falls through?

I don't even want to think of that in this tread though. Awesome job to everyone who went to the meeting and to those who organized it. They were there in person but brought also brought the spirit of Kings fans every where who were not able to attend. Bravo to you all!

Warhawk

Staff member
Dude on crutches!?!?! THAT'S dedication right there!!!!
There was also someone in a wheelchair and a wounded military veteran who needed a cane. They call came out because of their belief in the fact that a downtown arena will make Sacramento a better place.

This guy doesn't seem to know anything... the money for the arena could be used for pools... good point... never considered that.
No, they couldn't. The problem is keeping the pools open, due to budget cuts. The huge mistake that Chicago made with the $1 billion the received in their parking deal is they used it to pay for shortfalls in the city's operating budget. The money got spent in two years and now they have to make the cuts , anyway.

Money raised from an asset like city parking should be used for long-term improvements. In this case, the city would be monetizing a city asset (parking) to help build another city-owned asset (arena). Some of the naysayers still don't seem to get the fact that the arena will be owned by the city. Not the Maloofs, not the NBA....the city will own this prime piece of dowtown property and the everything built on it.

While I was ecstatic to get a positive vote, I am still tempering my mood. A no vote would have killed the arena plan, but it did not commit the city to doing anything at this point. All they did was vote to approve 11 "teams" (they added a local team back in to the 10), that they would negotiate with, IF the decide to even move forward with a lease of city parking.

The 28th will be the do-or-die vote. They will be voting on the terms of the arena financing plan that will be delivered to the league by March 1st, hopefully. If that term sheet includes financing from the lease of the city's parking, then they will essentially be committing themselves to leasing the parking and starting the REquest for Proposals process with the 11 teams approved last night.

One person who spoke last night, Barbara I think, rattled off a list of questions that need to be answered. She was right. Those things need to have an answer at the Feb 28th meeting. Two of the biggest questions are, how will the city replace the loss of general fund money received from parking and how will the current loan to the Kings be paid off? These are really difficult issues, that have not been addressed yet. That and some of the other questions have to be answered in two weeks, or some members of the council will likely vote angainst the arena. As pro-arena as I am (for everything it brings to Sacramento), I agree these thorny, tough questions must be answered.

I feel positive, but everything is riding on the 28th. The Maloofs have become more flexible about March 1st and are gearing up to take orders for next year's season tickets (a good sign), but KJ wants this a done deal by the March 1st deadline. We may actually have some fudge time, but I'd like a yes vote on the 28th. I think R. Fong, KJ and Ashby are yeses, but I really think the others could go either way. We need at least two of the "others" to vote yes. I really feel if we win, it may be a 5-4 vote. We could also lose by that margin. Write to council members, most especially if you live in the Sacramento city limits, but write even if you don't. Thsi affects the whole region. And, if at all possible show up at the city council meeting on the 28th.

No, they couldn't. The problem is keeping the pools open, due to budget cuts. The huge mistake that Chicago made with the $1 billion the received in their parking deal is they used it to pay for shortfalls in the city's operating budget. The money got spent in two years and now they have to make the cuts , anyway.

Money raised from an asset like city parking should be used for long-term improvements. In this case, the city would be monetizing a city asset (parking) to help build another city-owned asset (arena). Some of the naysayers still don't seem to get the fact that the arena will be owned by the city. Not the Maloofs, not the NBA....the city will own this prime piece of dowtown property and the everything built on it.
I absolutely LOVE the CAVE/NIMBY's canned response over and over and over(especially in the Sac Bee forums after articles)all they say is 'If the greedy playboy Magoofs want a new arena, let them build it themselves!' UGH!!! These people are and have ALWAYS been clueless!! They think we're GIVING this arena to the 'Magoofs' and the city is going to burn to the ground economically while the 'playboy brothers' laugh all the way to the bank...I wish I could slap these people silly! Hello...the city, people of Sacramento will own this, get that through your thick skulls!!!

Edit: 'MAGOOFS MAGOOFS MAGOOFS!!!'

UGH, enough already!

Last edited:
"The city is expected to post the term sheet the Thursday before the meeting." - Ryan Lillis of Sacramento Bee
This is goodness. That means they have this pretty well polished or they would not even talk about releasing it early. There should be no excuses from council members saying they need time to study. It shows some confidence too that they have a term sheet that will pass vote.

I have no source or anything, but I would not be at all shocked for David Stern to have something very positive to announce on this during the All Star Weekend. The timing is just too good to miss a few days before the vote. I hope they have the newest arena and intermodal station renderings ready to go around that Thursday as well. There should a big push from the NBA and City pre-vote.

Warhawk

Staff member
This is goodness. That means they have this pretty well polished or they would not even talk about releasing it early. There should be no excuses from council members saying they need time to study. It shows some confidence too that they have a term sheet that will pass vote.

I have no source or anything, but I would not be at all shocked for David Stern to have something very positive to announce on this during the All Star Weekend. The timing is just too good to miss a few days before the vote. I hope they have the newest arena and intermodal station renderings ready to go around that Thursday as well. There should a big push from the NBA and City pre-vote.
Agreed. This seems like a VERY positive turn!

That would be the Thursday before all star weekend. So hopefully he will have a big announcement that will sway the council members on the fence to voting for it.

K

Kingsguy881

There was also someone in a wheelchair and a wounded military veteran who needed a cane. They call came out because of their belief in the fact that a downtown arena will make Sacramento a better place.
Dedication....and they are right about that!

The term sheet should answer a lot of questions. bThe thing is the city has been in negotiation with AEG, the league and the Kings for sure. I'm quite sure the council members are up-to-date on what's happening with those negotiations. There may also be some other sources that will show up only when the term sheet is released.

I really hope it's a solid plan. One thing needed is a clause on who will pay for cost overruns. If things move ahead, they are probably going to do a negotiated bid for the construction. The contractor is supposed to basically bring the project in for the agreed price or bear the loss. We'll see.

The council, citizens and media have taken notice of who we are and what we want as the majority in support of a new downtown arena and what it can bring to us as a community. Please join us on Feb 28 at city hall for the final vote.

KCRA 3: http://www.kcra.com/news/30461341/detail.html

News 10: http://midtown.news10.net/news/news/93202-sacramento-city-council-votes-ask-bids-city-parking

CBS 13: http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012...ef=.Tz1AWPX0mds.like&fb_source=home_multiline

FOX 40: http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...g-deal-for-new-arena-20120214,0,5233704.story

Last edited:
The term sheet should answer a lot of questions. bThe thing is the city has been in negotiation with AEG, the league and the Kings for sure. I'm quite sure the council members are up-to-date on what's happening with those negotiations. There may also be some other sources that will show up only when the term sheet is released.

I really hope it's a solid plan. One thing needed is a clause on who will pay for cost overruns. If things move ahead, they are probably going to do a negotiated bid for the construction. The contractor is supposed to basically bring the project in for the agreed price or bear the loss. We'll see.
Sounds like cost overruns will be picked up by David Taylor himself, probably in return for some development rights/land around the ESC.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The council, citizens and media have taken notice of who we are and what we want as the majority in support of a new downtown arena and what it can bring to us as a community. Please join us on Feb 28 at city hall for the final vote.

KCRA 3: http://www.kcra.com/news/30461341/detail.html

News 10: http://midtown.news10.net/news/news/93202-sacramento-city-council-votes-ask-bids-city-parking

CBS 13: http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012...ef=.Tz1AWPX0mds.like&fb_source=home_multiline

FOX 40: http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...g-deal-for-new-arena-20120214,0,5233704.story
You're making history.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mike, In case you didn't see this:

When I was little - back in the dinosaur days - my dad instilled in me a love of basketball that has lasted my entire life. He died the year before the Kings came to Sacramento so he never got to root for a hometown hoops team. I know he would have loved this team as much as his children and grandchildren do. I just realized that Feb. 28, 2012 would be his 83rd birthday. I think it's a sign. :)
I would love to be there. I'm seeing what I can do to make it happen.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would love to be there. I'm seeing what I can do to make it happen.
We had nearly half the chamber in white t-shirts list time. Let's get the whole chamber in a white-out for the big vote! Show the city council that we DO care! I hope you can make it down from your fortress in the trees!

Warhawk

Staff member
We had nearly half the chamber in white t-shirts list time. Let's get the whole chamber in a white-out for the big vote! Show the city council that we DO care! I hope you can make it down from your fortress in the trees!
Agreed! It would be nice to "pack the house" for this one.