Lets get Buddy Hield an open shot

This is a good point. Buddy's scoring ability is no secret. You cannot sneak up on NBA teams. They collapse on him and he contiues to throw up contested threes. He needs to learn to draw the defense and then find someone else who is open.

He's been missing wide open 3's too. Buddy's confidence is shot right now.

Fox should be able to help him in that area once their offense starts to gel a bit more.

It's not just shooting contested threes. He's letting his offensive production impact every other aspect of his game: from making turnovers to dumb penalties. Dude's reaching on defense and thereby allowing his defender to get by him with ease. He needs to be a 6 man.

Buddy's overall play on both sides of the ball and Bagley's defense have been the primary reasons for the Kings recent losses.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Buddy has been missing open shots, he gets a couple a game whether in transition or just roaming around and the defense not following him. Other than that, no one on the team other than Richaun screens properly so its difficult to get him open looks.

It's not just shooting contested threes. He's letting his offensive production impact every other aspect of his game: from making turnovers to dumb penalties. Dude's reaching on defense and thereby allowing his defender to get by him with ease. He needs to be a 6 man.

Buddy's overall play on both sides of the ball and Bagley's defense have been the primary reasons for the Kings recent losses.
It’s this. He’s best utilized as an irrational confidence 6th man. Closes games when hot. Long term—James is a better starter prospect as a self-contained 3&D guy who can handle.

He's got to find a way to contribute if he's not shooting well that's the main issue, you can shoot like crap and still help your team win but Buddy is not doing that he's doing the exact opposite.
His rebounding and assists have been decent. Not great, not lead the team, but decent.

He has been a focus point on defense from the other teams. Buddy has the other teams best wing defender in his grille all game long. I have seen him with damn few open looks.

Start the game off running some free throw line middle pick and roll for him. You can't just play him off the ball on long curls and/or run extended 3 point line pick and roll for him to start every game, it's too predictable. Let him see some easy ones go in. Also, spreading the floor with him at the corner or extended corner on the weakside as Fox draws and kicks so he can spot shoot would make things a lot easier.

It’s this. He’s best utilized as an irrational confidence 6th man. Closes games when hot. Long term—James is a better starter prospect as a self-contained 3&D guy who can handle.

Eh, James projects as a role player and him actually doing much in the way to prepare himself to be anything other than that would be a detriment to his career in all likelihood. As far as who is a better starter? Well, I wouldn't take the bet in a comparison of talent vs. talent.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd like for him to watch a lot of film of two guys that I just can't stand - Harden and Doncic.:D Why? Because when they play they are playing as much, or more, to get a foul on the defender as they are to get a bucket. They play to entice their opponent into getting off balance, which results in foul calls. Buddy is the absolute opposite. He is soooooo focused on getting open and making a bucket, it appears to me that he has no focus whatsoever how to use craft to get his opponent off balance and getting a foul on him. I'll give you the simplest of the simple plays that to me are so easy for him to accomplish, and yet he doesn't. Buddy gets the ball at the 3 point line off the pass and the opponent comes flying at him from the side (as they are taught) to at least distract Buddy. Buddy avoids the man flying at him and then puts up the quick shot. No, Buddy, instead of avoiding the contact you should move toward the man flying at you and put up your 3 pointer just before contact occurs! This is elementary stuff. Yet it doesn't happen. It's as if all the practice that Buddy has done in his life has been to avoid his defender, get space, and put up a shot. But this is not the way forward for him if he wants to be successful. He must start practice attracting contact, not avoiding contact.

The Kings offense no longer makes anyone tremble. Teams can collapse on Hield, not worry about Joseph, play the rest of the team pretty straight up. The NBA is much more complicated that it appears.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd like for him to watch a lot of film of two guys that I just can't stand - Harden and Doncic.:D Why? Because when they play they are playing as much, or more, to get a foul on the defender as they are to get a bucket. They play to entice their opponent into getting off balance, which results in foul calls. Buddy is the absolute opposite. He is soooooo focused on getting open and making a bucket, it appears to me that he has no focus whatsoever how to use craft to get his opponent off balance and getting a foul on him. I'll give you the simplest of the simple plays that to me are so easy for him to accomplish, and yet he doesn't. Buddy gets the ball at the 3 point line off the pass and the opponent comes flying at him from the side (as they are taught) to at least distract Buddy. Buddy avoids the man flying at him and then puts up the quick shot. No, Buddy, instead of avoiding the contact you should move toward the man flying at you and put up your 3 pointer just before contact occurs! This is elementary stuff. Yet it doesn't happen. It's as if all the practice that Buddy has done in his life has been to avoid his defender, get space, and put up a shot. But this is not the way forward for him if he wants to be successful. He must start practice attracting contact, not avoiding contact.
I would "like" this many, many times if I couldn't.

Buddy must be dead last in free throws amongst starting two guards. Or at least last relative to amount of shots per game.

It would be great if Buddy could draw more fouls. There are two things though. H & D have elite handles and Buddy does not. If Buddy gets fouled the Refs have to call it. H & D get Super Star treatment from the Refs and no one on the Kings has, ever.