Lakers agree to acquire Brown

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-brown14jul14,0,4465538.story?coll=la-home-sports

Edited to add article:

Lakers Agree to Get Brown
Team will give up Butler and either Atkins or George to acquire the former overall No. 1 pick from the Wizards.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

The Lakers have taken another bold step to remake their roster, agreeing in principle on a trade that would bring forward-center Kwame Brown from the Washington Wizards and would send Caron Butler and likely Chucky Atkins to Washington.

Brown, 6 feet 11, was drafted No. 1 overall in 2001 and fell on hard times last season with the Wizards, but he has the potential to be an impact post player.
Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Wizard President Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment Wednesday, but sources said the components of the deal were in place involving Brown and Butler. The Wizards could choose small forward Devean George instead of Atkins to complete the deal.

NBA teams cannot announce free-agent signings or sign-and-trade transactions until a league moratorium is lifted July 22.

Brown, 23, received two guaranteed years with a third-year option held by the team. The Lakers will not be parting with the 2006 first-round pick they received from the Miami Heat in the Shaquille O'Neal trade last July.

In 2001, Brown became the first high school player taken with the top pick in the draft, but he has been erratic and enigmatic throughout his first four seasons.

Last season, he was suspended before Game 5 of the Wizards' first-round series against the Chicago Bulls and missed seven playoff games because he had groused as his playing time decreased, claiming a stomach illness and missing a practice.

Brown was also suspended for a game last December because he reportedly walked away from the huddle during a timeout as Wizard Coach Eddie Jordan questioned his failure on a defensive assignment.

In his first two seasons, Brown clashed with aging guard Michael Jordan and former Wizard coach Doug Collins.

Brown showed traces of improvement in his third season, averaging a career-best 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, but he broke his right foot during a pickup game last summer and started the 2004-05 season on the injured list.

Brown was out of shape most of last season, playing only 42 games and averaging seven points and 4.9 rebounds. He was booed at home numerous times.

Off the court, Brown has been troubled, getting arrested in 2002 for driving 120 mph and again in 2003 for driving under the influence.

The Wizards are interested in Butler in the wake of losing unrestricted free-agent guard Larry Hughes to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Butler, who played small forward and shooting guard last season, was one of the Lakers' most consistent players down the stretch, averaging 21.9 points over his last 15 games.

Butler, 25, was one of three players acquired from Miami in the O'Neal trade. If the Lakers waive Brian Grant to save $30 million in luxury taxes as part of a one-time amnesty provision under the new collective bargaining agreement, Lamar Odom would be the only Laker left from the O'Neal trade.

Atkins, 30, averaged a career-best 13.6 points last season for the Lakers but his lack of size made him a poor fit for a triangle offense that has historically worked better with taller guards under Phil Jackson.

With the addition of Brown, the Lakers would have under contract Kobe Bryant, Odom, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Brian Cook, Slava Medvedenko, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Andrew Bynum and Ronny Turiaf. Atkins or George would also be under contract.

THE DEAL

Lakers acquire:

• Center-forward Kwame Brown and agree in principle on a two-year contract with Brown, including a team option for a third year.

Lakers send:

• Forward Caron Butler and probably point guard Chucky Atkins to Washington. The Wizards are likely to take Atkins but could choose forward Devean George to complete the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
A poster on basketballboards.net summed up my feelings nicely:

The more I've thought about this trade, the more I've started to grow on Kwame. Not that I don't have my doubts; I wouldn't be the least surprised if this guy continues to be a heartless bust. That said, I still think he'll be more valuable than Caron to this team, because the Lakers need bulk, defense, and athleticism up front so damn badly it's not even funny.

I'm glad the Lakers didn't throw in a pick, and am especially glad they only guaranteed Kwame another two years. That leaves the 2007 cap space dream alive (and it is somewhat of a dream, but who knows...), and it's insurance in case Kwame completely tanks with the Lakers, meaning they can just dump his sorry butt.

Prove me wrong Kwame, grow a pair. Prove me wrong Phil, develop young talent.

A

AriesMar27

wow.... this could possibly be very funny or very sad for kings fans.... if jackson wasnt the coach this would just be funny, but oh well.... guess we'll have to wait and see.....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
AriesMar27 said:
wow.... this could possibly be very funny or very sad for kings fans.... if jackson wasnt the coach this would just be funny, but oh well.... guess we'll have to wait and see.....
Yep. Fortune often favors the bold.

I think it's good move, albeit a risky one for the Lakers in the long run. It means that they are out of any contention for a few years. PJ will have some serious challenges these upcoming seasons, not only nuturing Bynum and Brown, but also dealing with Kobe. It depends on how fast Brown and Bynum get acclimated into PJ's system and whether Phil utilizes them at all. If Kobe wants to win, he will have to wait, because both these guys are huge projects in the making as far as I can tell. I hope Kobe isn't wasting his talent on a team that is in serious rebuilding mode.

Bricklayer

The Bynum pick continues to baffle, but I could easily see Kwame come right in and average 12 and 8 in his first year if PJ is able to reach him. That's the major "if", but I don't think he is that far off physically from being a legit starter in there (we can save the star stuff for later years). Mentally is another issue. And that's where Phil will have to do his work.

I've seen comments like that before in the media assuring us of trades going down, Laker broz. Now count down the minutes to the trade collapsing. ;)

Bricklayer said:
The Bynum pick continues to baffle,
When Mitch said that it's hard finding bigs with potential, I think he was telling the truth. He's probably very very relieved if he can swing Butler for Kwame. Mitch drafted Bynum because he knows he ain't about to land a Magloire type.

I think it's a good move. I kinda wish we'd picked up Kwame.

And for Butler and filler, I don't even really think of it as much of a risk from the Lakers' perspective. They still have Kobe!

Variant said:
I think it's a good move. I kinda wish we'd picked up Kwame.

And for Butler and filler, I don't even really think of it as much of a risk from the Lakers' perspective. They still have Kobe!
As a Kings fan I am very envious of this move. This reminds me a lot of the 1998 Chris Webber trade to the Kings:

Young PF, former #1 pick
Washington Wizard who has not lived up to potential
Player who has grated on the nerves of Wizard management
Player who has run afoul of the law
Team (Lakers) looking to improve takes a huge risk on a big player.

Now I know Kwame is not nearly as talented as Chris. But the up side is unmeasurable. And with a Hall of Fame coach, you know Phil will get the absolute most out of him.

Sucks for Kings Fans.

2yrs with a team option for a third is reasonable and safe. How much do Butler and company make?

It's back to hoping he's a bust for me.

If he averages 12-8-1blk, and plays average defense, I'll be pissed.

Last edited:
Purple Reign said:
As a Kings fan I am very envious of this move. This reminds me a lot of the 1998 Chris Webber trade to the Kings:

Young PF, former #1 pick
Washington Wizard who has not lived up to potential
Player who has grated on the nerves of Wizard management
Player who has run afoul of the law
Team (Lakers) looking to improve takes a huge risk on a big player.

Now I know Kwame is not nearly as talented as Chris. But the up side is unmeasurable. And with a Hall of Fame coach, you know Phil will get the absolute most out of him.

Sucks for Kings Fans.
oh the irony

Bricklayer

Packt said:
2yrs with a team option for a third is reasonable and safe. How much do Butler and company make?

It's back to hoping he's a bust for me.

If he averages 12-8-1blk, and plays average defense, I'll be pissed.
I think those numbers are entirely possible. And yes, for only two guaranteed years, its absolutely worth the risk. Really wish we could have steered Mobley out to the East Coast and made a run at it.

That said, Webb was an "underacheiveing" 20-10 player when we picked him up. Vastly different situations. there were questions about Webb, but nnot that he wasn't a stud. If Kwame turns out to be half the player Webb did, it will be an absolute coup for the Lakers.

Last edited:
Purple Reign said:

Sucks for Kings Fans.
But still, Kwame's upside isn't Webberish so your point should be stressed more than it is. While Webber's problems were mental, Kwame's have been mental and the inability to tap potential. Also, Kwame maxing his potential is up to Kwame more than Phil -- plus Phil can break this guy mentally more than Kobe ever could. Also, Kobe will dominate the whole offensive scheme by design and on general principles. Some players are able to play comfortably alongside a superstar, others aren't (Rice, Campbell/Ceballos were examples of Lakers who couldn't compete with Kobe and Shaq, respectively).

Last edited:
Everyone always said maybe what Kwame needs is a change of scenery for him to go to a place where you can concentrate on playing basketball...a fresh start etc etc...

Does anybody actually see LA as being that city...?? If I were a Laker fan or even just a Kwame fan (and I'm clearly neither) this would be a slight cause for concern...I would be a little worried...

This is gonna be interesting...thats for sure

Bricklayer

Gargamel said:
But still, Kwame's upside isn't Webber and also, Kwame maxing his potential is up to Kwame. Also, Kobe will dominate the whole offensive scheme, out on the court as well as in the playbook. Some players are able to play comfortably alongside a superstar, others aren't (Rice, Campbell were two examples).
There's absolutely no guarantees with Kwame, but if I'm a Lakers fan I'm pretty happy with this offseason just because there is blatant ambition ot be great again. May not happen. But Mitch and PJ are at least showing the guts to take chances rather than sitting on their mediocre hand.

I foresee Kobe putting on that father figure act even more with Kwame, and if Kwame is productive, Kobe will get tons of positive PR from it.

Bricklayer said:
There's absolutely no guarantees with Kwame, but if I'm a Lakers fan I'm pretty happy with this offseason just because there is blatant ambition ot be great again. May not happen. But Mitch and PJ are at least showing the guts to take chances rather than sitting on their mediocre hand.
Right about the 2nd part and you've probably become tired of the Laker triad here repeating the "we'll be back" mantra over last season, but Buss does know when to hold em and fold em -- and Jack Kent Cooke before him (Laker/Redskins owner). Bill Sharman / Jerry West were GM for 30 years. Attractive locale.

Phil and Kupchak have been rightfully panned for their past transgressions, but yeah, there's a fire under their asses. I'm floored that Jackson has left Montana to do PR work. He was with Buss/MK when they courted Antonio Daniels at lunch on Tuesday.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Are they looking for Daniels to start, or do they have someone else in mind?
I would think as a starter, unless there are more moves. I think Daniels is the perfect PG available for Jackson right now and relatively cheap.

Andriod_KiNg said:
Alot of you guys are worried about his potential, but until then, its just what it is potential, Kwame = sucks ***.
Even Kwame deserves a second chance. I'm anticipating he is jazzed, fired up, and very well motivated to get things rolling. I would be very surprised if his stats this year are not better than his career's.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Are they looking for Daniels to start, or do they have someone else in mind?
I think they expect Daniels to start, if he signs. Phil loves combo guards and Daniels at 6'4 is exactly that. Smush Parker (go ahead and laugh ;)) has been solid for LA so far in the SPL and at 6'3 with a 6'10 wingspan would fit in well with what Phil wants to do defensively.

Bricklayer said:
So far, so good. Mitch is actually doing something, and beating Jerry West on the Kwame Brown deal too. I heard West offered L. Wright and some picks but Washington went with Mitch. If he signs Antonio Daniels, I would consider the this off season decent.

Daniels will start and probably get a MAX MLE 3 year contract if he signs with the Lakers. He'll probably get 30 mpg, with a defensive minded sharp shooting PG backing him up (Smush Parker may be able to fill that role).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KA_2 and Lamar Odom:

I hate you. I hate you both...

And if Petrie doesn't pull the world's biggest rabbit out of his hat before this is all over, I'm not gonna be real happy with him, either.

VF21 said:
KA_2 and Lamar Odom:

I hate you. I hate you both...

And if Petrie doesn't pull the world's biggest rabbit out of his hat before this is all over, I'm not gonna be real happy with him, either.

I know you miss me, VF21. I miss you too! ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have ALWAYS told people not to underestimate the power of the Lakers to bounce back. I have told them not to sell the Lakers short. I KNEW something was up...I think Jackson took the year off on purpose just to throw the other teams in the West into a false sense of hope.

At least I won't have to worry about which Western team to hate.

;)