Kreidler: There Is a Place Worse Than Last

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There is a Place Worse than Last
by Mark Kreidler, March 10, 2009

...Sure, Sacramento has the league’s poorest record, and it says here the Kings will finish that way. You need a scorecard to track the personnel changes. The arena issue sticks to the collective leg like a crudded-up hot-dog wrapper in a stiff wind, and in general, life around the franchise since the Rick Adelman gaffe has been a depression. But that’s not actually as bad as it can get.

Nope, if you want a close look at that, just spend a few minutes trying to dissect the hideous beast that has become the Warriors, from front office right down to the arena floor itself. While Golden State still is capable of playing respectable ball (mostly, if the team’s in the mood), it has become a cartoon version of itself in almost every other way...

...Sacramento gets OKC tonight, and perhaps there’s a chance for a cheap win there, but overall the Kings will struggle down the stretch, finish with 20 or 21 victories, and likely get interim coach Kenny Natt whacked in favor of a veteran from the ever-burgeoning list of summertime availables. That’s not all bad, actually. Natt will be warmly regarded as the man who kept the team’s attitude in a surprisingly good place, even when the potential was there for it to slide off the table. You don’t have to look far to realize just how crucial that kind of thing can be.

Rest here...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what sports writing should be all about. Be sure and check out Kreidler's blog and maybe leave a message or two. If we're lucky, maybe he'll keep putting it out there about our Kings.

:)

Shouldn't this be in Kings News Links?

EDIT: But yeah, we'll always have this: We're neither the Warriors nor the Clippers.

Last edited:
WORST to last??? Mark must not have his editor running through these :)

Mark Kreidler is not only the best writer in Sacramento (hands down), but the classiest dude to boot.

A lot of media-types have their "in public" persona, and then behind the scenes turn into raving primadonnas.

I remember my first real job in the business was when I was 16, and I helped edit the agate (stats page) for the Bee sports section. Real grunt foot-in-the-door stuff. I will always remember the absolute toolbox R.E. Graswich was to me, and pretty much all the interns. No matter how many times I hear him on my station or how many colleagues I have that like him, I will never forget how he treated me and other interns with disdain and dismissiveness.

Kreidler on the other hand is genuine to a fault. He NEVER ONCE failed to make time to answer a question I had, or return a message I left, sometimes immediately. To this day, if someone were to email him a question about any of his articles, or really anything at all, I guarantee the response would be well thought out and swift.

It is rare to find someone who is truly passionate about his/her work, and that also has the instinct to keep their head out of the clouds, and firmly in reality. Mark has always been incredibly grounded in my opinion, and even though I can count our conversations on two, maybe three hands, consider him a mentor and a role model in the business of media.

Bravo, Mark...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Never thought Marty was really anything worth reading to begin with - he was very unprofessional in his writing style and I never got much out of his "insight".