Kobe suggested the Triangle

I got this story off another site. I don't even know if the link works anymore:

"The Lakers used the scheme for the first time this season Friday during their 111-104 victory over the Houston Rockets and worked on it extensively Sunday before boarding a plane for Minneapolis.

Tomjanovich said the Lakers would use a lot of the formation tonight against the Minnesota Timberwolves at the Target Center. And that's fine with Bryant, who said he liked the offense that Winter originated because it "makes everybody a threat."

"It gives great movement; it's very flexible," said Bryant, who scored 27 points and had 10 assists Friday as the Lakers won their first game of the season in which their opponent scored more than 100 points. "There's a flow to it so the defense can't sit and anticipate what you're going to do. It's all reads, and we have a good time running it."

Actually his first choice was the Princeton offense and Rudy fired back with "How about the triangle?" and he agreed. Mainly because with the lack of player movement it makes it very easy for teams to key in on Kobe and be able to recover in time due to their guy staying in the same spot. The amazing thing is they've supposedly practiced it several times but they've only ran it about 8-9 times in the past 4 games.

Umm, the point is that Kobe runs Phil out of L.A. and now he's using the offense he hated so much to win games.

Dontcha see? This is yet another reason to hate Kobe Bryant.

What, no takers?

;)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
gina said:
Umm, the point is that Kobe runs Phil out of L.A. and now he's using the offense he hated so much to win games.

Dontcha see? This is yet another reason to hate Kobe Bryant.

What, no takers?

;)
I do not need yet another reason to have a very strong dislike (shall we say) for Kobe Bryant. But, thanks anyway.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now, now, now...the brave little soldier deserves our compassion. After all, he fought through tears as he announced it would take him "weeks" to work through this severely sprained ankle.

Now they're saying he may miss five games.

I know the Laker fans here won't like it, but Kobe has no credibility whatsoever. I especially liked that Kobe was having a bad game, he "wrenches" his ankle and writhes on the floor in agony, is carried off by two fellow Lakers and then, biting his lip, manages to announce to the waiting media that he's going to "religiously follow" whatever regimen the trainers decide is best for him, (We won't even get into the comments I could make about that choice of phrasing) but that this injury is serious and will take WEEKS to heal. Now they're saying he may miss five games but has not, to my knowledge, been put on the IL. If he comes back after two or three missed games, I know the LA broadcasters are going to pontificate to the point of canonization on how he's so dedicated, etc.

And I shall almost without a doubt be looking around the house for my spleen.

I've watched the video clips way more times than I wanted to, and I did see him come down on someone's foot but his ankle didn't roll as badly as Bibby's IMHO. Am I prejudiced against Kobe? Oh yeah, but only after seeing him "battle back" time after time after time. Do I think he exploits every single little owie for his own purposes? Oh yeah again... We know how he feels about getting all the attention. Am I wrong in my perception? Perhaps. Laker fans will undoubtedly view it differently and that's fine. This Kings fan is thoroughly and completely fed up with all the high drama - All Kobe, all the time.

Blech!!!

Ah, rats. There went the spleen again...

hmmm... I may be going out on a limb here with this one VF, but would it be a fair assessment to suggest that perhaps ol' Kobe isn't on your Christmas Card List?

VF21 said:
I especially liked that Kobe was having a bad game, he "wrenches" his ankle and writhes on the floor in agony, is carried off by two fellow Lakers and then,
I am saddened to admit that secret front row videotape confirms that Kobe's injury was a ploy. Kobe called Ira over to midcourt during warmups and told him, "If by the 6 minute mark, I'm not playing as well as Bron, undercut me on a rebound so I can 'wrench' my ankle. Then I can come back from another so-called injury before schedule and get all the glory from my throng of worshippers. Don't worry, Ira. Last year, I paid Kedrick Brown to jump into me on a pumpfake and no one but Kings fans suspected anything." Now Kobe is telling the media that they'll be surprised how well his teammates play without him. Not only does he get ankle glory, he can also look like a supportive teammate. Yecch!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gargamel - You are entitled to your opinions and I believe I made it pretty clear I knew you wouldn't appreciate mine. ;) I admit I used exaggeration. I saw the injury played, replayed, replayed some more, etc. While he did twist his ankle, it was nowhere near as bad as others I've seen this year. The team is saying he may miss as few as 5 games. That's not a severely sprained ankle if that's the case. But it doesn't really matter. As with every single thing that happens with, because or to Kobe, it's magnified, intensified and glorified.

And of course he's going to say his teammates will do well without him, but do you really believe that's what he's thinking in his heart of hearts? Or is he giving the requisite lip service to the media, saying the right things, while he's hoping against hope they fall on their faces without him so they'll realize how very important he is to them?

You can shout his praises from the highest rafters on Laker boards, but don't expect many to join in the chorus here.

Is he good? Oh yeah, he's damned good. But is he the best player ever to come along? Nope and he never will be, although we both know it's how he thinks of himself. IMHO his biggest enemy is himself. Not even HE can live up to the apparent image of himself he seems to carry around.

I will continue to make the comments about him just as I know there are a multitude of Laker fans on Laker boards who constantly tear down our players. It comes with the scenery.

:D

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Gargamel - You are entitled to your opinions and I believe I made it pretty clear I knew you wouldn't appreciate mine. ;) I admit I used exaggeration. I saw the injury played, replayed, replayed some more, etc. While he did twist his ankle, it was nowhere near as bad as others I've seen this year. The team is saying he may miss as few as 5 games. That's not a severely sprained ankle if that's the case. But it doesn't really matter. As with every single thing that happens with, because or to Kobe, it's magnified, intensified and glorified.

And of course he's going to say his teammates will do well without him, but do you really believe that's what he's thinking in his heart of hearts? Or is he giving the requisite lip service to the media, saying the right things, while he's hoping against hope they fall on their faces without him so they'll realize how very important he is to them?

You can shout his praises from the highest rafters on Laker boards, but don't expect many to join in the chorus here.

Is he good? Oh yeah, he's damned good. But is he the best player ever to come along? Nope and he never will be, although we both know it's how he thinks of himself. IMHO his biggest enemy is himself. Not even HE can live up to the apparent image of himself he seems to carry around.

I will continue to make the comments about him just as I know there are a multitude of Laker fans on Laker boards who constantly tear down our players. It comes with the scenery.

honestly, I am very surprised that You would waste 2 fairly large posts on LA or Kobe.

Should we be worried for Your health conditions ? ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's all going to be part of my book: Kobe Brayant, The Brave Little Soldier.

I plan to make a mint and become Kingsfans.com's first life-time platinum CM.

Gargamel said:
I dedicate this to 8KOBE8, hoopsfan, JP, L_O, KA_2, and myself. I call it, "Our Warrior".

I call this sweet karma! I rarely take joy in the injury of others... But I have to admit, this guy deserves the worse. :cool:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
albeitrue said:
Gargamel, I have the same pic, but somehow different. Did you edit yours???
You may now add yourself to the list of members of this forum who owe me keyboards!

albeitrue said:
Gargamel, I have the same pic, but somehow different. Did you edit yours???
Looks the same to me.

(edit) - Urm. You guys have a unique sense of humor. I'll give you that. :D

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
rhuber said:

...there you have it -- just add water and you have yourself a best seller!
;)
rhuber - You are officially my hero! And of course you're going to get massive royalties when the book hits #1 on amazon.com