KingsFans Official Fantasy Basketball 2010

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
18 = Woot. Love deep leagues. Only so many times you can draft LeBron or Melo before it gets old. Trying to fill out a roster wiht Spencer Hawes or Jarret Jack is much more amusing.

I would love to play. But, I don't know how to & how to get started as well.
This league is pretty much full with 18 players, although if another person shows up who wants to play I'd be willing to bump it up to 20. The BigDog or Avis league might still be looking for people, though, I'd read through those threads to find out.

Since I see you already have a Yahoo account from the Pick 'Em thread, to play fantasy basketball you just join the league on Yahoo after the commissioner gives you the ID and password. You can also join a public league with random people, which is probably a good idea to get your feet wet assuming you don't get in here or in one of the other leagues here that hasn't drafted.

As far as how to play, basically each fantasy player drafts a "team" of NBA players. Each NBA player can only be on one fantasy team, so part of the skill is deciding who to grab for your team at the start of the year. Then each fantasy team competes based on the stats of the NBA players. These leagues are head-to-head, so that means each week your fantasy team plays another fantasy team. The stats for the players on each team are accumulated and compared, and you get a point for each category where your team's points are higher. For example, I might play Bricklayer's team in the first week. Since Bricklayer likes big players, maybe his team has more rebounds and a higher field goal percentage than mine, but mine has more assists, three pointers and free throw percentage. So I would win that week 3-2 (there are actually 9 or 10 categories in our league).

So each week you decide who starts and who is on the bench for your fantasy team. Maybe the Spurs only play two games all week so you sit Duncan, or maybe the Kings are playing at home against Cleveland, Memphis and Golden State and Carl Landry is injured so you start Jason Thompson. You also need to watch out for players that nobody drafted in the beginning but that play well, and replace players on your team who are injured or don't play as well as you expected. I'm starting to get into too many details here, but hopefully you get the gist. It's a lot more complicated than the pick'em game, but a lot more fun as well.

Bricklayer

20! Just like the old days. :)

Come on folks, we need one more now so Kingboi can join too.

Actually I rarely play anything but 20 people leagues except for KF and my one obligatory, long time ill fated attempt to win a yahoo league (which are preset as 12 people).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This league is pretty much full with 18 players, although if another person shows up who wants to play I'd be willing to bump it up to 20. The BigDog or Avis league might still be looking for people, though, I'd read through those threads to find out.

Since I see you already have a Yahoo account from the Pick 'Em thread, to play fantasy basketball you just join the league on Yahoo after the commissioner gives you the ID and password. You can also join a public league with random people, which is probably a good idea to get your feet wet assuming you don't get in here or in one of the other leagues here that hasn't drafted.

As far as how to play, basically each fantasy player drafts a "team" of NBA players. Each NBA player can only be on one fantasy team, so part of the skill is deciding who to grab for your team at the start of the year. Then each fantasy team competes based on the stats of the NBA players. These leagues are head-to-head, so that means each week your fantasy team plays another fantasy team. The stats for the players on each team are accumulated and compared, and you get a point for each category where your team's points are higher. For example, I might play Bricklayer's team in the first week. Since Bricklayer likes big players, maybe his team has more rebounds and a higher field goal percentage than mine, but mine has more assists, three pointers and free throw percentage. So I would win that week 3-2 (there are actually 9 or 10 categories in our league).

So each week you decide who starts and who is on the bench for your fantasy team. Maybe the Spurs only play two games all week so you sit Duncan, or maybe the Kings are playing at home against Cleveland, Memphis and Golden State and Carl Landry is injured so you start Jason Thompson. YIou also need to watch out for players that nobody drafted in the beginning but that play well, and replace players on your team who are injured or don't play as well as you expected. I'm starting to get into too many details here, but hopefully you get the gist. It's a lot more complicated than the pick'em game, but a lot more fun as well.
Thank you very much. I get the gist of it. I am sure it will make more sense once I start it up. Could you or anybody give me a link to your league so I can join and get the ID & Password? It would be very much appreciated :D.

I'm willing to be #20 if it's still available.
Thank you very much. I get the gist of it. I am sure it will make more sense once I start it up. Could you or anybody give me a link to your league so I can join and get the ID & Password? It would be very much appreciated :D.
Alright, since MoneyMike and you have both shown interest, I'll send you both the password and we'll be back to 20 again this year.

Loving the 20 team league. Should we reduce the number of bench players with so big a league. We're at 300 total players which is really scraping the bottom of the barrel and basically removes all of the even halfway decent free agents.

Loving the 20 team league. Should we reduce the number of bench players with so big a league. We're at 300 total players which is really scraping the bottom of the barrel and basically removes all of the even halfway decent free agents.
Way back in 2001 there were 20 teams and 14 players per team, but then in 2002 they bumped it up to 15 players each even though they still had 20 fantasy teams. The rules have been the same since. I'd be willing to remove one bench position if a couple other people post here by Friday night that they would support the change, but I don't have a problem leaving things just the way they've always been. That's part of the charm of the league. :)

Bricklayer

Way back in 2001 there were 20 teams and 14 players per team, but then in 2002 they bumped it up to 15 players each even though they still had 20 fantasy teams. The rules have been the same since. I'd be willing to remove one bench position if a couple other people post here by Friday night that they would support the change, but I don't have a problem leaving things just the way they've always been. That's part of the charm of the league. :)
I will say this about the depth -- the way that 300 drafted players is/was supportable is that this was always traditionally a weekly, rather than daily, league. Hence you had a true bench rather than just 15 guys who were all going to rotate through your active positions every night. So the guys on your bench don't actually play unless you have some injuries, and unless you rack up 4-5 injuries at a time you really don't need to be off pickung up free agents. Having a true bench also allowed for some strategy in how to contruct it -- do you take solid guys guaranteed to provide low level production, maybe one or two flyers that might or nmight not turn out at some point in the season, you can stash that guy who is going to miss half the year as your 15th man and it won't hurt you the first half of the year etc.

In a daily league, 300 is not entirely tenable. Or just on the edge of it. Its one advantage is that it effectively shuts down shuttlers who try to win the league just by making 5 moves a day picking up and dropping people so the active roster is full every night. But other than that, 300 in a daily means that you have 300 players who are actually expected to potentially play every night, and every injury sends you off picking up Ronnie Price (or more likely just going a man short). So the ultra deep league is a relic of the weekly format. In that format it is amusing, and also leads to more interesting trading scenarios.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has to drop out for some reason or another, I would love to be in that big of a league.
Not a newbie to boards or fantasy, just never post. Have fun everyone, that looks to be a blast.

I changed the playoffs to 8 teams instead of 6. It kinda goes against my self-imposed rule of not changing things without approval from the other players, especially since the early years had 20 teams and 6 playoff spots. But I thought about doing it last year with 18 teams and I think it will keep the league interesting longer for a few more teams. Since most of our players are doing this for the first or second time in this league, I don't want most of them out of it halfway through the season and not coming back next year.

ahh... I missed this thread. I have been voicing my displeasure with the 20 team league since I found out about it when I got home from my sections yesterday.