Kings work out vet guards

Could It be that the Kings view Queta as a player worthy of a full roster spot but prefer to keep him on a two-way so he can get lots of reps down in the G-League?

I think that seems likely.. and in the event of an injury to Sabonis or Holmes we could see his contract upgraded.

since we're throwing names around, I'd like to add in Jaylen Hoard.

23 y/o 6'8" athletic Forward, who closed last season out with a major bang, was pretty much the best player on the Thunder in their last few games (14.7 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 2.8 apg, 48.9% from the field, and 36.0% from deep on 34.3 mpg)

I feel like he would add a nice wrinkle to the depth chart because he's strong and also sneaky smooth. In the event he gets his shooting going he actually has solid upside IMO.

Last edited:
Are we so far down the barrel that there are no NBA or even G-league level talent we can get? We need a deep bench PG as well as some wings.

If we are scraping that bottom, why not try for someone like Jordan Nwora who has good length, servicable defense, and a reasonable outside shot? He is yet unsigned and his last contract was a paltry 1.5M.

Also out there which may be gettable are Austin Rivers, Avery Bradley, Yuta Watanabe (my personal favorite), and even our own Jeremy Lamb.
As far as wings, I'd agree. The Kings need SF depth (there's not really a true SF on the whole roster IMO) and that player would likely get significant minutes. But for the 3rd string PG, I think it's more about who is willing to take that role. Both young, promising PGs and established vets who still have a decent amount of tread on their tires are going to look at Fox and Mitchell (not to mention Monk who could likely serve as an emergency PG) and realize they're only getting minutes in Sacramento due to injury.

If they can't find a bigger role elsewhere I think vets would rather take the same role on a contending team and young, promising players would look for a franchise with a better track record of developing guys.

Last edited:
As far as wings, I'd agree. The Kings need SF depth (there's not really a true SF on the whole roster IMO) and that player would likely get significant minutes. But for the 3rd string PG, I think it's more about who is willing to take that role. Both young, promising PGs and established vets who still have a decent amount of tread on their tires are going to look at Fox and Mitchell (not to mention Monk who could likely serve as an emergency PG) and realized they're only getting minutes in Sacramento due to injury.

If they can't find a bigger role elsewhere I think vets would rather take the same role on a contending team and young, promising players would look for a franchise with a better track record of developing guys.
Totally agree. I think there is room on the roster for 2 SFs. It sounds to me (no inside info) - that Monte is not done reshaping the roster. So it’s hard to know who to root for him to pick up off the scrap heap.

As far as wings, I'd agree. The Kings need SF depth (there's not really a true SF on the whole roster IMO) and that player would likely get significant minutes. But for the 3rd string PG, I think it's more about who is willing to take that role. Both young, promising PGs and established vets who still have a decent amount of tread on their tires are going to look at Fox and Mitchell (not to mention Monk who could likely serve as an emergency PG) and realize they're only getting minutes in Sacramento due to injury.

I agree, but for vets like Rondo, Payton, Austin Rivers and Compazo, etc, getting a lot of reps is not really in the cards short of significant injuries. And Payton, Rivers and Compazo all made $3M or less last year. Soooo,the situation here is not really different than anywhere else for them. They are reasonable backups to 3rd string, possibly almost out of the league type players. Certainly better than G league, definitely more capable than Cook or Deli. So why scrape with those two when these guys are available on vet minimums. Get one of them and Yuta Watanabe (who made 1.7M las year) on a BAE (give 3-4M/yr x 2yrs) with 2nd year being TO. Lock the roster in short of trades and move on. If i get the guys i want (and think are getable for the money we have) it would be

Fox/Mitchell/Rivers
Monk/Huerter/TD/Ellis (2 way)
Barnes/(Huerter)/Watanabe/TD/Ellis
Murray/(Barnes)/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Queta (2 way)
13 players and two 2way contracts.

Gives you an empty roster to fi with another minimum (maybe Avery Bradley who can guard 1-3).

I agree, but for vets like Rondo, Payton, Austin Rivers and Compazo, etc, getting a lot of reps is not really in the cards short of significant injuries. And Payton, Rivers and Compazo all made $3M or less last year. Soooo,the situation here is not really different than anywhere else for them. They are reasonable backups to 3rd string, possibly almost out of the league type players. Certainly better than G league, definitely more capable than Cook or Deli. So why scrape with those two when these guys are available on vet minimums. Get one of them and Yuta Watanabe (who made 1.7M las year) on a BAE (give 3-4M/yr x 2yrs) with 2nd year being TO. Lock the roster in short of trades and move on. If i get the guys i want (and think are getable for the money we have) it would be

Fox/Mitchell/Rivers
Monk/Huerter/TD/Ellis (2 way)
Barnes/(Huerter)/Watanabe/TD/Ellis
Murray/(Barnes)/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Queta (2 way)
13 players and two 2way contracts.

Gives you an empty roster to fi with another minimum (maybe Avery Bradley who can guard 1-3).
I wouldn't mind that plan. Of course, Alex Len is still under contract so it would be 14 roster spots and both 2-way deals.

OR

Use BAE on Sasha, Rivers on vet Min

Fox/Mitchell/Rivers
Huerter/Monk/TD/Ellis (2 way)
Barnes/(Huerter)//TD/Ellis
Murray/Sasha/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Len/Queta (2 way)
14 players and two 2way contracts.

Rivers,Lyles,Metu, Len our 11-14 Insur guys , Plus the 2-ways

I’m not sure Rivers is a guy who would be satisfied with a role where he stacks up cd-dnp.
Yeah, that was my thought/point as well. But that said, we're getting late in free agency and there aren't a ton of roster spots left around the league.

Of course with guys getting close to the end of their careers (I'm surprised to see Rivers is somehow only 29, I thought he was a few years older) it's not unusual to see them wait until training camp to sign as an injury replacement somewhere. That's if they actually want to play significant minutes. If they want a 3rd string role they're likely to sign with a contender for a chance at a ring. For the Kings the vets that are likely available are either on their last legs or just looking for a few more paydays.

That may be why McNair is looking at reclamation projects like Dellavedova - trying to make sure they are bringing in someone hungry who will positively affect team culture and not just collect paychecks to sit on the bench.

Seeing more reports that the Kings are interested in Quinn Cook
Read some as well, wouldn’t mind him at all. I still like Delly the best as a coach with a jersey but in all honesty I don’t care too much who it is. If our PG 3 is seeing any minutes something has gone terribly wrong.

Read some as well, wouldn’t mind him at all. I still like Delly the best as a coach with a jersey but in all honesty I don’t care too much who it is. If our PG 3 is seeing any minutes something has gone terribly wrong.
Yup.

I would go so far as to say Quinn Cook is a "we're going for the playoffs" type of move.

He's certainly not a 'tank commander'.. If you look at the list of FA's who'd be possible 3rd stringer fringe types, I think most all of the realistic options out there have higher chances of becoming a tank commander than QC, lets say Frank Jackson.

I kinda feel like QC would give the other spots on the depth chart the most space to try and carry the load. Given the current market, that'd mean he's one of the best values they can sign. We have all these players like Monk and Huerter and Sabonis who can find the open man and get it to him with time, some of these other options that cant really shoot and they're still gonna be defensive seives, I can see making things more difficult for our other positions on both sides of the ball..

Last edited:
I pay quite a bit of attention to the rest of the league, but I'm not that in tune with most other NBA fanbases. Do fans of other teams clamor for their utterly washed former players as often as Kings fans do?
Tyreke is still young enough to be a very solid option if he's deep on the bench. He looks in great shape. I'd imagine other fanbases also have soft spots for their previous players, especially ones that gave them some hope and bright spots in an otherwise destitute period of fandom.

I hope he gets another chance and is able to stay clean. Love me some Tyreke.

Tyreke is still young enough to be a very solid option if he's deep on the bench. He looks in great shape. I'd imagine other fanbases also have soft spots for their previous players, especially ones that gave them some hope and bright spots in an otherwise destitute period of fandom.

I hope he gets another chance and is able to stay clean. Love me some Tyreke.
I hope Reke finds success again but I am not totally sold he is what we need as the 15th contract. I assume Brown wants a "Coach Brown on the floor" guy or someone who does what Udonis Haslem does in Miami.

I'd like to see Tyreke actually play.

I'm a huge tyreke evans fan, followed him since recruitment and college.

I also believe it would be a truly horrible idea to sign him as the 15th man.. cant think of a worse landing spot for him tbh. I feel like the Kings would make much more sense as a 2nd or 3rd stop after someone else gives him a chance... What has he even been doing since he got kicked out of the league, does anyone know?

first off you think they want to have the announcers talk about his 3 year drug ban that wasnt for PED's but drugs of abuse? We're talking about a roster spot that makes a pittance here.. why would u sign up for that extra baggage??? the kings seem to pride themselves on being a family friendly environment.. i dont even see how such an idea would get off the ground..

he would draw an inordinate amount of attention, and he doesnt really deserve that.. the kings just made all these bigger money moves to bring in young players, those guys deserve the attention..

plus like it or not the Kings are trying to turn over a new leaf to make the playoffs and Tyreke is a remnant of a fruitless past..

and then as for the basketball side.. we're talking about a 32% career 3pt shooter.. thats how u really want to fill out the depth chart behind 32% 3pt shooter Fox and 32% 3pt shooter Mitchell? Furthermore does Tyreke really have the footspeed to guard PG's these days?

A player like Quinn Cook is a much better fit 10x over, he's totally overqualified, is Tyreke? what has he even been doing? Evans signed to the G-league last year, and was waived a week later, look at QC's G-League stats in comparison, he played lights out, made it look like inferior competition.. Cook is a 2 time NBA champion... He's familiar with Mike Brown.. Doesnt come with any baggage.. It's truly mystifying to me to see so much discussion around Tyreke Evans here... We're trying to make the playoffs no? We're trying to surround the young guns with the best complimentary peices possible..

The thing too with Cook is.. You can use him in those sort of situations where your subbing in offense for defense back and forth. Or lets say he gets a few minutes here and there and hits a three early in a game and Mitchell isnt having a good shooting night, u can go back to QC to see if he's got a hot hand.. Thats why I really dont like this whole idea of getting a Udonis Haslem type cheerleader to fill out the roster, the Kings need to squeeze blood out of a stone here, they have to look for outperformance every step of the way. QC could give coach brown an extra trick up his sleeve thats scarce on the market, Tyreke isnt that way, I'd rather have Frank Jackson than Tyreke.

Last edited:

I also believe it would be a truly horrible idea to sign him as the 15th man.. cant think of a worse landing spot for him tbh. I feel like the Kings would make much more sense as a 2nd or 3rd stop after someone else gives him a chance... What has he even been doing since he got kicked out of the league, does anyone know?

first off you think they want to have the announcers talk about his 3 year drug ban that wasnt for PED's but drugs of abuse? We're talking about a roster spot that makes a pittance here.. why would u sign up for that extra baggage??? the kings seem to pride themselves on being a family friendly environment.. i dont even see how such an idea would get off the ground..

he would draw an inordinate amount of attention, and he doesnt really deserve that.. the kings just made all these bigger money moves to bring in young players, those guys deserve the attention..

plus like it or not the Kings are trying to turn over a new leaf to make the playoffs and Tyreke is a remnant of a fruitless past..

and then as for the basketball side.. we're talking about a 32% career 3pt shooter.. thats how u really want to fill out the depth chart behind 32% 3pt shooter Fox and 32% 3pt shooter Mitchell? Furthermore does Tyreke really have the footspeed to guard PG's these days?

A player like Quinn Cook is a much better fit 10x over, he's totally overqualified, is Tyreke? what has he even been doing? Evans signed to the G-league last year, and was waived a week later, look at QC's G-League stats in comparison, he played lights out, made it look like inferior competition.. Cook is a 2 time NBA champion... He's familiar with Mike Brown.. Doesnt come with any baggage.. It's truly mystifying to me to see so much discussion around Tyreke Evans here... We're trying to make the playoffs no? We're trying to surround the young guns with the best complimentary peices possible..

The thing too with Cook is.. You can use him in those sort of situations where your subbing in offense for defense back and forth. Or lets say he gets a few minutes here and there and hits a three early in a game and Mitchell isnt having a good shooting night, u can go back to QC to see if he's got a hot hand.. Thats why I really dont like this whole idea of getting a Udonis Haslem type cheerleader to fill out the roster, the Kings need to squeeze blood out of a stone here, they have to look for outperformance every step of the way. QC could give coach brown an extra trick up his sleeve thats scarce on the market, Tyreke isnt that way, I'd rather have Frank Jackson than Tyreke.

You are like our own Stephan A. Smith

I've know Tyreke Evans since he was knee high to a duck. Followed his career through the swamps of the bayou. I've been very close to if not consider his 3rd cousin of his great aunt on his mothers side a very personal close friend of mine....

Great novel bruh.
he shot 35%, 39 %, 43 %, 38% from three since 2015. you make it sound like hes got no 3 point shot? the 15th man aint getting time regardless. You really think Browns gonna give pt to Quin Cook at pg when Huerter and Monk can run it at times? At least reke could come in and body up some bigger wings.

Last edited:
Great novel bruh.
he shot 35%, 39 %, 43 %, 38% from three since 2015. you make it sound like hes got no 3 point shot? the 15th man aint getting time regardless. You really think Browns gonna give time to Quin Cook at pg when Huerter and Monk can run it at times? At least reke could come in and body up some bigger wings.
From 2015 to 2018..

What about from 2018-2022? Whats he been up to? Does anyone know? I'd sure like to hear about it.

also it's incase of an injury to Fox that the 3rd string becomes more important... thats what you'd put the money towards... So the idea of Monk and Huerter doesnt really make any sense.. They'd need someone behind them in the rotation in case of emergency

You are like our own Stephan A. Smith

I've know Tyreke Evans since he was knee high to a duck. Followed his career through the swamps of the bayou. I've been very close to if not consider his 3rd cousin of his great aunt on his mothers side a very personal close friend of mine....
and many here are like some drunks who sit around laughing at the same jokes telling the same stories over and over.. I get it.. Not my type of thing.. but yeah sure..

I'm very interested to see what they do with the final roster spots.. Thats one of the reasons I come to this forum maybe to find a bit of local news..

But in this case we can actually do some process of elimination.. The field is thinning by the minute, lots of players are getting overseas deals at this time of the year.. So I thought that alternatives could be an interesting topic of discussion but I guess not, we prefer same corny jokes.

From 2015 to 2018..

What about from 2018-2022? Whats he been up to? Does anyone know? I'd sure like to hear about it.

also it's incase of an injury to Fox that the 3rd string becomes more important... thats what you'd put the money towards... So the idea of Monk and Huerter doesnt really make any sense.. They'd need someone behind them in the rotation in case of emergency
how does that not make sense? If Fox gets hurt, Mitchell starts.. backup minutes go to Monk/Huerter and Tyreke is the third initiator if they need it.

From 2015 to 2018..

Tyreke chose not to play in any other professional leagues during his suspension. He was banned from the NBA (and thus also the GLeague) but he could have played overseas and chose not to. From occasional workout videos his team posted, it looks like he essentially worked out, and played pick up ball. At least as far as basketball activity goes. I have no idea what else he might have been doing during his suspension.

If you (or anyone else) didn't know it, he actually had a very brief comeback last season. He was cleared by the NBA in February, and in March he signed with the Bucks GLeague team, the Wisconsin Herd. His first game he scored 16 points, but on 19 shots. He rolled his ankle early in the next game, and was waived.

Best of luck to Tyreke that he can salvage his career and play a few more years, but I don't think he's a good fit for what the Kings need. And the Kings probably aren't a good fit for what he needs either.

To me there's two ways of approaching this.

One is that you look for a vet who can play some spot minutes but is primarily a signing to help team culture and be an extension of the coach. That's where Delly makes sense. He brings toughness & grit plus playoff experience and has a prior relationship with Mike Brown. You don't want to have to rely on him for more than spot minutes or for more than a stretch of a few games, but it's more about how he can help the young guys continue to develop rather than his on court production.

The other is to look for a guy who could compliment either Fox or Mitchell off the bench if there's an injury, suspension etc.

In that case, I'd be looking for a playmaker with an outside shot who can help with bench scoring. Fox isn't a good outside shooter, Mitchell isn't a consistent scorer or natural playmaker so someone that can come in, run the offense and hit some outside shots to keep the offense moving is a good fit as a backup to either PG. Of the remaining FA PGs, Quinn Cook might be the best fit in this regard.