Kings waiving papa morphed into Vlade sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
[B]Shams Charania[/B]‏Verified account @[B]ShamsCharania[/B] 11m11 minutes ago
More
Sources: The Kings are waiving center Georgios Papagiannis, who was their No. 13 overall selection in the 2016 draft.

Official.

Vlade is such a clown. I'm not really mad at losing Malachi and Papa as neither guy really showed us anything about being NBA talent, but the fact that Vlade wasted 2 first round picks on talents he actually didn't believe in.

[B]Shams Charania[/B]‏Verified account @[B]ShamsCharania[/B] 11m11 minutes ago
More
Sources: The Kings are waiving center Georgios Papagiannis, who was their No. 13 overall selection in the 2016 draft.

Official.

Vlade is such a clown. I'm not really mad at losing Malachi and Papa as neither guy really showed us anything about being NBA talent, but the fact that Vlade wasted 2 first round picks on talents he actually didn't believe in.
I wouldn't say he didn't believe in them. I would say both failed to deliver any results and that was a horrible draft class.

How many other guys have proved themselves to be promising players in that draft as of yet? Not many so I’m not ready to kill Vlade on this as of yet. We have Harry Giles being added to the rotation next year and likely another wing in the draft. You want Papa G and Malachi to get minutes over Giles and a top 2018 pick? Relax, it was going to happen eventually anyways. Sitting on the bench does nothing for their value anyways.

Interesting....I would have rather seen what he can do over at least the next half season; however, maybe they just aren't seeing any progress. Certainly his summer league performance last summer did not inspire confidence that he was going to make a jump. I think this probably also has an awful lot to do with the fact that slow plodding centers just don't have a high demand anymore in the league. If it means they would rather take their swing with this roster spot on Bruno, I guess that makes sense.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Papgiannis might never have amounted to much, but geez, there's not a single way to sugarcoat this, the dumpster fire is still raging. They don't even save money with this. Now onto drafting Trae Young and blowing space on a small combo G this summer!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Interesting....I would have rather seen what he can do over at least the next half season; however, maybe they just aren't seeing any progress. Certainly his summer league performance last summer did not inspire confidence that he was going to make a jump. I think this probably also has an awful lot to do with the fact that slow plodding centers just don't have a high demand anymore in the league. If it means they would rather take their swing with this roster spot on Bruno, I guess that makes sense.
With the way the team has performed this year, how can anyone trust this coaching staff with what they see? Depending on how this season plays out could mean a long post Vlade/Joeger cleanup in another year.

I'm cool with looking at Bruno and didn't see a reason to waive the guy honestly. He's a long wing and the Kings are in short supply of those with Malachi now off the team. Watch them just waive him too. lol. The only way to salvage this is to load up someone like him with minutes and watch him pan out.

Even in the best case Papa G was going to be an end of the bench player. Too slow and no skills that are needed in the modern NBA. Did not make any strides even after getting in better shape. The 2016 was a crap shoot and its not like there are a ton of guys above 13 that are tearing up the league. Vlade took a flyer and it didn't pan out. The team should move on and put resources towards the guys that might actually move the needle.

He spent a lottery pick on a guy who wasn't close to a consensus first round pick, which is fine if it works, if on the other hand you cut him two seasons later then it's indefensible. And Vlade is racking up the indefensible at this point.

He shouldn't get all the blame. Vivek as we know from the Cousins trade still has his fingers in all of this, but you can't fire owners, so yeah fire Vlade.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Outside of a few decent moves, Vlade has been pretty abysmal for us.

The sad thing is, I have zero faith in Vivek to find a good replacement. Our franchise's woes start at the top, with the little goblin.

Edit: As others have noted, that draft was still a win for us. Bogie + Skal. I just reaaaaaally hated that Papa pick. Dude had zero chance to be a player in this league.

Last edited:
Unreal.

I don't think much of Papa G, but terrible asset management.

He picked Papagiannis 13th, a place he had no business going anywhere near. If anything, I thought Vlade valued him. Guess not. How long before he sours on Skal? Giles? Fox?
Looking at that draft did we have a better option at 13? Not really.

Has anyone taken directly after been better? Well Levert looks useful with the Nets and Valentine is a solid bench player, but that's really it.

So even though I agree that Pappa was not a good pick at 13, in that draft class it wasn't brimming with better options.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
WTF?

Why trade Malichi for that Toronto guy and then waive him too?

Are we not waiving the Toronto guy?
I suspect that we are not waiving Caboclo, but that's not verified. However, there's little reason to do it unless we have somebody else that needs to take up that roster spot. The idea was we were waiving him to make room for the Hill trade, but since we're waiving Papa we don't need to. Hopefully we keep him and give him a look.

Papgiannis might never have amounted to much, but geez, there's not a single way to sugarcoat this, the dumpster fire is still raging. They don't even save money with this. Now onto drafting Trae Young and blowing space on a small combo G this summer!
How do they not save money or create cap space for this summer? All the dealing today was precisely all about saving money and creating salary cap space.

I suspect that we are not waiving Caboclo, but that's not verified. However, there's little reason to do it unless we have somebody else that needs to take up that roster spot. The idea was we were waiving him to make room for the Hill trade, but since we're waiving Papa we don't need to. Hopefully we keep him and give him a look.
Maybe the Kings are looking to give Sampson a roster spot going forward? Makes sense to do it if possible!

I wouldn't say he didn't believe in them. I would say both failed to deliver any results and that was a horrible draft class.
Nope, this is just an excuse. You had a 13th pick and a 22nd pick and they're gone a year and a half later for nothing. No matter how weak the class is, it's an utter failure of the organization and an utter waste of two assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.