[Game] Kings vs. Rockets, Sunday Aug. 9, 5 PM PT

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Not much to say about this game, or the last, except how KINGS is it to allow a career scrub to score 41 against them? So fitting. And just further the point how terrible their defense is.

IDC how good this team is or can be offensively. They’ll never win consistently playing defense they way they do now. Never.
I said it last year, probably this year too, but while defense wins championships, crap offenses don't win anything. Start winning first and then we can talk about adjustments. And that's all Walton has given us, adjustments to his rotation. At some point you have to look at what you have and gear towards that. Walton is a defense first coach and thought subbing in a Cory Joseph and sometimes Corey Brewer was the answer. If you don't learn after a few times I think it's likely you'll never learn. This showing was so embarrassing I don't think Vivek has any choice but to cut bait or make a point somewhere in this decision base. It's crazy, this was the highest potential situation the Kings have been in in almost forever. This was a bed ******** so monumental that changes have to be made otherwise you go into the summer and plug your cap for the foreseeable future with no indication that anyone has an idea of how to make this work on the court since they are denying what reality is showing them in terms of talent and play style. We've heard blurbs that make it seem as if Walton believes this to be a young team. No, not really. In fact, using a lose till you learn method with players in this exact age range will blow up your locker room at some point.

That said, I don't think a blow up was ever needed but at some point you've dirtied the sheets enough that you just have to start fresh. I still think Vlade has done a fair job overall but in the end he sold his owner on Luke Walton, well, whoops. Should have listened to the scuttlebutt.

Give credit where credit is due, Walton is running something, but it's degenerated to some of the same stuff Joerger did. Better for sure considering he took out the dreaded horns set but still completely wrong for the roster. This is the problem when you kind of draft a team around a certain group, say all the right things about it, then do little in that direction, still watch it succeed in the little you do, and then right back to something else the next game. It used to be the next game but this bubble has hit an all new level of panic button coaching for Walton. I have to say, in the last 15 years of the coaching carousel we've never seen this kind of headless chicken stuff out of a coach. It was actually a strength for Walton up to a point but then he went all panic button masher in the bubble. This was a good test. Test failed.
We did have an offensive identity for most of last season with Joerger - i.e. fast young team. Not saying we should have kept him or that such an approach was fool proof. But that is something we had then that we don't have now. I don't know that replacing Luke would necessarily lead to a playoff spot either. As you say - we have had a coaching carousel for 15 years. But for me Luke is revealing himself to be a step down.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
We did have an offensive identity for most of last season with Joerger - i.e. fast young team. Not saying we should have kept him or that such an approach was fool proof. But that is something we had then that we don't have now. I don't know that replacing Luke would necessarily lead to a playoff spot either. As you say - we have had a coaching carousel for 15 years. But for me Luke is revealing himself to be a step down.
He lost his team doing the same waffling around, changing rotations, adjusting, and still having his heart set on a motion system above all and refusing to run pick and roll. And he didn't lost his team over night all those flubs led to it. This is why Walton taking the same wait it out approach is only compounding issues. Walton does finally bring a pick and roll identity, but only for moments at a time and he uses combinations that largely render it ineffective. A few moments of sanity always seem to lead back to a stuffed paint and swinging the ball around like it's molten lava where Cory Joseph types are ready to take the offense by the berrys. Take that garbage back to college where it belongs. This is the NBA. Play to the strengths of your stars. If you do and you still fail then your GM needs to help out his coach.

I said it last year, probably this year too, but while defense wins championships, crap offenses don't win anything. Start winning first and then we can talk about adjustments. And that's all Walton has given us, adjustments to his rotation. At some point you have to look at what you have and gear towards that. Walton is a defense first coach and thought subbing in a Cory Joseph and sometimes Corey Brewer was the answer. If you don't learn after a few times I think it's likely you'll never learn. This showing was so embarrassing I don't think Vivek has any choice but to cut bait or make a point somewhere in this decision base. It's crazy, this was the highest potential situation the Kings have been in in almost forever. This was a bed ******** so monumental that changes have to be made otherwise you go into the summer and plug your cap for the foreseeable future with no indication that anyone has an idea of how to make this work on the court since they are denying what reality is showing them in terms of talent and play style. We've heard blurbs that make it seem as if Walton believes this to be a young team. No, not really. In fact, using a lose till you learn method with players in this exact age range will blow up your locker room at some point.

That said, I don't think a blow up was ever needed but at some point you've dirtied the sheets enough that you just have to start fresh. I still think Vlade has done a fair job overall but in the end he sold his owner on Luke Walton, well, whoops. Should have listened to the scuttlebutt.
Problem is, as much as I agree that a GM and coaching change is needed, I’m not sure they can afford to it again so soon. Walton hasn’t even coached a full 82 yet. And the KINGS have hired and fired so many coaches already.

The there’s the fact that Walton has a long term contract and Vlade signed an extension and the franchise is likely bleeding $$$ due to the pandemic.

As sad as it is, I think they’re stuck in neutral, if not reverse, for a while longer.

Problem is, as much as I agree that a GM and coaching change is needed, I’m not sure they can afford to it again so soon. Walton hasn’t even coached a full 82 yet. And the KINGS have hired and fired so many coaches already.

The there’s the fact that Walton has a long term contract and Vlade signed an extension and the franchise is likely bleeding $$$ due to the pandemic.

As sad as it is, I think they’re stuck in neutral, if not reverse, for a while longer.
If Vivek can't foot this bill, then a new majority owner with deep pockets is needed. Paging Ronald Burkle!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

If Vivek isn't embarrassed and doesn't feel a little deceived after this showing I don't know what it will take. Put this bubble in a bubble and it's bad, very bad. Like I'd be surprised if even after one of Bills hippie drum circles and bead making sessions they can fix this. Then you figure big decisions need to be made with Viveks wallet this summer that will cost waaay more then the mistakes that could be made this summer.

Less than half the posts after the other games, so I’m guessing a whole lot of Kingsfans have now dropped out. Or maybe they’re just posting away their frustrations in a different thread?
So it goes.
I really wanted to see the rookies get some PT in this one, but only Jeffries got meaningful minutes. Now Walton is saying he’s going to stick with his main guys for the two remaining games. Thx, Luke.
I don’t think it’s going to happen, but I’m all in for cleaning house this summer. That’s not my MO, so for me to feel that way tells you something.

I usually have a bit more sympathy for Luke than most tbh but if he plays the "stars" big minutes in meaningless games I'll be unhappy.

We've got some guys who desperately need run against serious completion like Guy, James etc.

They won't do anything drastic. Especially with the financial impact of COVID.

Don't see them blowing anything up either, I get the impression they still think Bagley is going to come back and be huge star...

If Vivek can't foot this bill, then a new majority owner with deep pockets is needed. Paging Ronald Burkle!
Thing is, he isn't a majority owner just one that has controlling interest. If he sold would the new owner have controlling interest? If not, his shares value goes way down.

Shaq is minority owner along with about 678 thousand other people.

If they all grouped together they could pay buddies salary for last night's game.