[Game] Kings v. Nuggets - Monday, Oct. 28 - 7PT

For some reason, maybe fellow countryman-connection, Bogdan seems to play a bit more energized with Bjelica on the floor. Walton needs to recognize that like.....now. I think it's like variant of the brothers syndrome, where they will play harder together, and likewise against each other.
It is a countryman-connection on steroids. They played together in Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey) when they helped each other in a foreign environment. They both eventually adapted and became Euroleague stars. It is similar to the connection between Vlade and Peja.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings starting unit actually matches well with Nuggets on offense. Jamal Murray is a poor defender, so is Barton when defends SFs. Neither Jokic nor Milsap is a good rim protector. The Kings plan A should have been (haven't watched :( ) attacking Murray and going to the rim or kicking out to Buddy/Namanja. Plan B, isolating Barns on Barton. The problem is, Nuggets are a good P&R team, so they can also score at will.
To me the main difference between the Nuggets and the Kings is continuity. Being under one good coach for several years compared to a team under a coach for one month is a distinct advantage and is easily worth the seven point differential in the score.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
For some reason, maybe fellow countryman-connection, Bogdan seems to play a bit more energized with Bjelica on the floor. Walton needs to recognize that like.....now. I think it's like variant of the brothers syndrome, where they will play harder together, and likewise against each other.
Based on what I saw in the last game, I'm hopeful we can see Bogdan's better self going forward. (Please don't disappoint me against the Hornets). He can take one or two steps up from what we saw against the Nuggets, imo. He is going to be dependent somewhat on the performance of the players around him. He can't be the guy with the ball and everybody else is standing around. He's got to be moving and they have to be moving. Maybe that's why Bogdan plays better with Bjelica. Bjelica knows the game.

By the way, I was impressed with Bjelica in the Nugget's game. I thought his overall game was quite good. Afterwards I looked at the stats and thought that they didn't reflect how good his performance really was. If he plays like that the rest of the season I'll be very happy. Bjelica is a tough dude when he wants to be. Maybe he can be an enforcer on this team. I'd like to see him stand up for smaller guys like Fox or Hield when they clobbered. There has to be consequences for when the Joker laid out Buddy with a cheap shot. That kind of thing could have badly injured Buddy.

Denver’s defense is really good. Good players and that Malone guy seems to know some stuff about coaching. Harris was all over Buddy. Buddy needs more play action and screens to get open with defense that good.
You’re dead on point. Harris suffocated Buddy.
No visible adjustments from Walton. I just don’t see him as a tactical coach. I think that also explains the 3rd quarter tanking. It would be interesting to see what Walton does/says at halftime.

You’re dead on point. Harris suffocated Buddy.
No visible adjustments from Walton. I just don’t see him as a tactical coach. I think that also explains the 3rd quarter tanking. It would be interesting to see what Walton does/says at halftime.
The 3rd quarter "tanking" was an issue last year, so I don't think it is a Walton problem unless he got tips from Joerger. Also, as has been mentioned in this thread, the starts to the 3rd quarter have been bad in other games, but not in the Nuggets game. 5+ minutes into the second half, the Kings were up by 5 or 6 (going off the top of my head here). It was only when Walton went to the bench players (and I think he mentioned this in the post-game wrap-up--see post up above) that they lost the lead and couldn't score.

Even with all of that, I agree with ppine it was the lack of defensive rebounding that killed the Kings. On some possessions, the Nuggets were getting three shots around the rim. Even when the Kings did get a rebound, it rarely looked pretty.

Everyone -plays better with Bjelica on the floor because he's easy to play with and unselfish and smart, we don't have enough of these types of players sadly. Off course your going to more energized if you know the person playing with you is doing what's best for the team rather than themselves.

He wasn’t though. While a normal NBA player would have been set, Jokic and his huge frame was still moving.
Yep. He wasn’t set.

Honestly, this play aside, I’m sick and tired how the NBA players attempt to draw charges in todays game by simply trying to sprint to a spot then stop in front of the offensive player — often getting there just as the offensive player does which means he’s not set. But they get the charge call. It’s maddening. And not the way it’s supposed to work.

Growing up watching and playing basketball, the player taking a charge was supposed to be set for a full count. These guys are arriving almost at the same time or at best beating the offensive player to the spot by mere fractions of a second which in turn means they aren’t set. Can’t possibly be set.

But because they are taking on the brunt of the contact and falling backwards, they are often getting the call.

Absolutely hate it.