[Game] Kings v. Mavericks - Saturday, Feb. 3 - 7 PT

I’m happy with the growth of some of our young guys, but in so many ways I’m ready for this season to be the over just to not have to listen to another f-ing Lin comment for a while.

Like our rookies, My tolerance for Lin smugness has hit a wall. drudge on 2018, drudge on :cool:

Not sure the need to talk poopoo about DSJ. He did a good job passing the ball tonight. He could've had 10+assists tonight if his teammates were missing. What do you mean he stands around doing nothing unnecessary? LOL. They play a 2-PG system with Yogi and JJ...sometimes 3-PG system.

Where do you get 6'0 from? everyone lists him at 6'3. lol what a joke of an evaluation. You're a "pretender" and a "fake athlete"
LMFAO.....I stopped reading as soon as I read "He sucks" eight lines into his post/comments. I am now extremely annoyed that I wasted my time reading those eight lines.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
LMFAO.....I stopped reading as soon as I read "He sucks" eight lines into his post/comments. I am now extremely annoyed that I wasted my time reading those eight lines.
I disagree...and for the record, Blob and I have crossed swords MANY times. He may have dumped on Smith, but he gave his reasons. If you don't agree, refute the reasons, not his phraseology or spacing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For the record, I was about to share this tweet from Kayte when my internet unexpectedly quit (one of the problems with satellite internet). Here's the tweet in question:

Kayte Christensen‏Verified account@kayte_c 2h2 hours ago

Dennis Smith Jr. has now gotten away with 3 straight pushoffs in my opinion. The 2nd one was on Justin Jackson who ended up stealing the ball which canceled everything out, but this one sent him to the free throw line where he went 1-2 so that’s a problem. Just sayin

I disagree...and for the record, Blob and I have crossed swords MANY times. He may have dumped on Smith, but he gave his reasons. If you don't agree, refute the reasons, not his phraseology or spacing.
DSJ may not be the flashiest guy on the floor. But he doesn't have to be the flashiest guy on the floor. I don't see DSJ being many of the things Blob eluded to him being in his post. He's a gunner. So are well over 75% of the league's players. The issue here is that DSJ isn't hitting his shots with the consistency you would want to see from a professional basketball player. But, I think that will fix itself over time, and he will develop a solid shot.

I think the kid has a pretty decent upside. Compared to Fox? Maybe not as much. But, just because of that, he doesn't necessarily "suck".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
DSJ may not be the flashiest guy on the floor. But he doesn't have to be the flashiest guy on the floor. I don't see DSJ being many of the things Blob eluded to him being in his post. He's a gunner. So are well over 75% of the league's players. The issue here is that DSJ isn't hitting his shots with the consistency you would want to see from a professional basketball player. But, I think that will fix itself over time, and he will develop a solid shot.

I think the kid has a pretty decent upside. Compared to Fox? Maybe not as much. But, just because of that, he doesn't necessarily "suck".
This is where you're at a disadvantage by being a new kid on the block. The whole Smith/Fox issue was a topic of much heated debate last year before draft day. At least part of Blob's argument is a continuation of sorts of some of those discussions.

This is where you're at a disadvantage by being a new kid on the block. The whole Smith/Fox issue was a topic of much heated debate last year before draft day. At least part of Blob's argument is a continuation of sorts of some of those discussions.
Was there a good contingency of Kings fans on this forum who wanted us to draft DSJ over Fox?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Was there a good contingency of Kings fans on this forum who wanted us to draft DSJ over Fox?
There were some. Others that were high on him either if Fox was gone or if we went a different route at 5 hoping he'd be there at 10.

I would say 2/3rds of us fell in love with Fox (for better or worse) due to a mix of ability plus the fact the guy just really seemed to want to be in Sac (it was a hell of a sell if he didn't).

For the record, I was about to share this tweet from Kayte when my internet unexpectedly quit (one of the problems with satellite internet). Here's the tweet in question:

Kayte Christensen‏Verified account@kayte_c 2h2 hours ago

Dennis Smith Jr. has now gotten away with 3 straight pushoffs in my opinion. The 2nd one was on Justin Jackson who ended up stealing the ball which canceled everything out, but this one sent him to the free throw line where he went 1-2 so that’s a problem. Just sayin
He got away with a lot of them, and a lot of grabbing on defense and rebounds. It was pretty pathetic what the refs let him get away with tonight. Just look at FTs disparity. Refs dropped the ball tonight

We as there a good contingency of Kings fans on this forum who wanted us to draft DSJ over Fox?
I was for either one. I thought Smith would be a better offensive player and Fox a more defensive player. Fox actually is getting better on offense and a bit on defense, although I'd like to see him play harder defense the whole game. His assists are becoming better, but I'd like to see him raise his steals stats up more. He's becoming more assertive too which is good.

Loss is just fine ...... Aayton or Young is my hope in that order since the Missouri small forward reportedly had major injury unfortunately.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox continues to look like the leader of the team. Next year I think he should take the mantle with no questions. Jackson continues to look like a real NBA player. His defense is improving. What was interesting to me is the Warriors lost in their back-to-back game against Denver. In the Kings-Warriors game I was thinking that the pace of the game was going to wear them both out for the following games. Looks like it did.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fox continues to look like the leader of the team. Next year I think he should take the mantle with no questions. Jackson continues to look like a real NBA player. His defense is improving. What was interesting to me is the Warriors lost in their back-to-back game against Denver. In the Kings-Warriors game I was thinking that the pace of the game was going to wear them both out for the following games. Looks like it did.
They were doomed. Between playing tons of minutes in Sacramento and then having to play at altitude in Denver less than 24 hours later, it was gonna be tough. I've never looked at the stats, but I'd hazard a guess that happens to a lot of teams that fly into Denver on the second night of a back-to-back on the road.

They were doomed. Between playing tons of minutes in Sacramento and then having to play at altitude in Denver less than 24 hours later, it was gonna be tough. I've never looked at the stats, but I'd hazard a guess that happens to a lot of teams that fly into Denver on the second night of a back-to-back on the road.
ESPN has been tracking games like this, where they predict that scheduling would catch up with the otherwise superior team. They saw GSW as doomed as well: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22292940/nba-schedule-alert-20-games-tired-teams-lose-february

Notably, they predict a "tired" game from Portland against the Kings Feb .9.

I’ll have to admit I was a little disappointed they lost, I kind of expected with the way they have been progressing that they would win and there would be a whole lot of complaining on the forum. But I also understand the importance of a high draft pick (just not obsessed with it as the magic solution to all that ails the Kings) so after the game, the losses don't bother me too much.

Both teams didn't really appear to be in “tank mode”, they both played hard, but ineptly, almost no defense by either team.

Until the 4th quarter, the Kings were executing their offense relatively well. That 6-minute stretch of total offensive ineptitude to start the first 4th quarter killed the Kings chances. There was no ball movement and no movement without the ball.

The Kings first 3 offensive possessions of the quarter ended with Z-Bo and Carter taking deep 3’s. The next two possessions ended in turnovers followed by two possessions that ended with off balance shots by Buddy and then Temple. They finally got some ball movement and nice passing from WCS to Hill, but they had waited too long to get into the offense and still wound up with an off balance shot from Buddy

Jackson and Fox came in at the 8:03 mark and on the next two possessions, Jackson actually got two pretty nice looks from 3. His feet were set and the shots were not rushed they just didn’t fall.

During all this time, the Mavs were scoring at will, 16 – 0.

Finally, Fox broke the scoring draught with a pull up jumper at the 6:08 mark, the first points of the quarter. Fox scored the first 3 Kings baskets of the quarter, assisted on a 4th (assist to WCS), and added 1 of 2 FT.

Positives were the way Fox played, especially the way he took charge in the 4th quarter and got the stalled offense functioning again.

Jackson looked good the whole game, the two shots he took in that 4th quarter didn’t fall, but they were quality shots, he played good defense, and got robbed of an “and one” basket by a bad call.

Joerger took Z-Bo out less than 2 minutes into the 4th and did not go back to him even when the Kings offense stalled. Normally Z-Bo is the go to guy for Joerger when he needs to kick start the offense, but he let the guys on the floor attempt to play through it.

Willie wasn’t spectacular, but looked ok and at times seemed to be the only one on the floor playing any defense. I believe the knee issue is still affecting his mobility, but at least he is playing through it.