[Game] Kings v. Grizzlies - Sunday, Dec. 31 - 4 PT

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They have given more effort, heart and hustle. Today was a bad game.
This reminds me of the Hawks loss, not as bad of course but when you lose to a lottery team at home like this, makes me believe they just wanted to get the game done with so they can go celebrate the New Year.

It's somewhat ironic that the last fleeting moments of the year would end in the way it would appear they have done everything in their power to avoid all season.

Only thing I would blame Joerger for is that old starting lineup. I know he was trying to match Memphis' rotation, but not thrilled with Koufas, Zbo, Hill, Temple in the starting 5.
Somebody needs to have a sit down at this point because when rebuilding individual games mean nothing in the grand scheme, it's the game time, reps, and the no pressure situation that's valuable. Trying to squeek out wins by matching up, or coaching your way to victory mean nothing if in the process it wastes valuable in game experience for those needing it.

I didn't realize WCS and Bogs were that old?

The frustrating thing is they aren't that young by NBA standards anymore. One of my main frustrations with this rebuild is they've drafted many older more experienced players and Bogdan himself is already at the front door of his prime window. He's going to be 26 next year. I mean, he's got far more professional experience than any other young player on the Kings so is it really that odd that he can play from day 1?

gunks

Hall of Famer
The frustrating thing is they aren't that young by NBA standards anymore. One of my main frustrations with this rebuild is they've drafted many older more experienced players and Bogdan himself is already at the front door of his prime window. He's going to be 26 next year. I mean, he's got far more professional experience than any other young player on the Kings so is it really that odd that he can play from day 1?
Don't worry, we have young prospects too! A PG that can't shoot or run an offense and a big without knees!

(I'm still hoping Fox puts it together in a year or two, but as for Giles, I'm more curious than hopeful. Dude has had a ton of knee issues.)

Hill goes through the motions here.. don’t understand why an amicable solution hasn’t been reached.. Although the injuries may throw a wrench into whatever :(

WCS.. the offensive arsenal has improved, but whether you can get to consistency, defensive presence and putting impact on the game, or whether it’s just a spark plug on the bench when he’s on his game...

Its getting close to the the midpoint of the season....a low 20-win season seems fairly likely.....long-term plans seem murky. Losing by 20 at home is mailing it home.

Hill goes through the motions here.. don’t understand why an amicable solution hasn’t been reached
Do you mean framing Hill for a murder he didn’t commit, so his contract will be voided? Not sure that’s going to be amicable.

Wait, did you mean a trade where the Kings don’t take back a toxic asset or some type of buyout? Oh, good luck with that

Do you mean framing Hill for a murder he didn’t commit, so his contract will be voided? Not sure that’s going to be amicable.

Wait, did you mean a trade where the Kings don’t take back a toxic asset or some type of buyout? Oh, good luck with that
Lol. I’d like to think they could get close to a expiring from some team believing they can put him in a competitive situation.. Maybe I’m off in the market

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
LOL

Tyreke: "Yea I had that sac game on my calendar"
the response: "Too bad you didn’t have the sac game on your calendar when you played for Sac."
Can you blame him though? Dude had one of the best rookie seasons ever while playing for the Kings and when it came time for his first contract the team said "sorry, we don't want you here". Then they traded for him 4 years later just so they could say "we don't want you here" again! I don't care who you are, you're going to take that a little bit personally. If you look around the league and add up the players who were unceremoniously dumped by this team with the players they passed over in the draft or in free agency that went on to excel somewhere else, you have to ask yourself where the real problem lies don't you? I mean there are multiple playoff teams this year that are built around players just like that. Multiple! Meanwhile you could make a strong argument that we're the worst team in the league. We're dead last in defensive rating, 29th in offensive rating. We have a brand new arena and rank 25th in attendance so far this season. We have a whopping 9 players on our roster who are in their first or second year and are any of them even a lock for the rookie-sophomore game? This is bottom of the barrel stuff. I respect anyone who's got the energy to hang in there and cheer this bunch on because I'd rather stare at the wall for 2 hours then watch a Sacramento Kings basketball game right now.

Sure I guess it's just a twitter joke but seriously, look around. Who's laughing? The joke is on us. Looking back, that summer Petey D and Co. decided not to keep Tyreke and then spent the money they saved on Carl Landry instead was really just the first sign of what was coming down the pipe. I wish I'd tapped out then and saved myself the trouble. But sure let's act like Tyreke failed us in some way and that's why we're here. Give me a break.

Okay, this is about as ugly as I want to see. There's no rhythm, no flow. When even Bogs is making dumb mistakes, you have to wonder if it was something in the water? ;)

Can't blame Joerger for this one. Right now, I don't know what else he could do to try and light a fire under his players, short of actually lighting a fire.
Make em play defense.

Unwatchable. The Kings barely showed up. It makes the game against Cleveland seem like it was a long time ago. The Kings have had some serious problems with confidence that they have been able to overcome. Now I would submit that they struggle with motivation. It is a long season, but they have to learn to play every night like they mean it.

Can you blame him though? Dude had one of the best rookie seasons ever while playing for the Kings and when it came time for his first contract the team said "sorry, we don't want you here". Then they traded for him 4 years later just so they could say "we don't want you here" again! I don't care who you are, you're going to take that a little bit personally. If you look around the league and add up the players who were unceremoniously dumped by this team with the players they passed over in the draft or in free agency that went on to excel somewhere else, you have to ask yourself where the real problem lies don't you? I mean there are multiple playoff teams this year that are built around players just like that. Multiple! Meanwhile you could make a strong argument that we're the worst team in the league. We're dead last in defensive rating, 29th in offensive rating. We have a brand new arena and rank 25th in attendance so far this season. We have a whopping 9 players on our roster who are in their first or second year and are any of them even a lock for the rookie-sophomore game? This is bottom of the barrel stuff. I respect anyone who's got the energy to hang in there and cheer this bunch on because I'd rather stare at the wall for 2 hours then watch a Sacramento Kings basketball game right now.

Sure I guess it's just a twitter joke but seriously, look around. Who's laughing? The joke is on us. Looking back, that summer Petey D and Co. decided not to keep Tyreke and then spent the money they saved on Carl Landry instead was really just the first sign of what was coming down the pipe. I wish I'd tapped out then and saved myself the trouble. But sure let's act like Tyreke failed us in some way and that's why we're here. Give me a break.
Yes, it is just a twitter joke.

I agree with all you said regarding Reke.

I just like the good comeback/bite on twitter whether it is based in reality or not.

Seems like Joerger's plan is to beat good teams for confidence and lose to bad teams for draft position. Works for me?
You mean unintended side-effect..... During the earlier part of the year offense seemed to be the big problem, and lately its been defense more. Team shows flashes but is getting dangerously complacent in how its losing. Clippers were an awful loss and then followed by the Grizzlies....Kings are hardly in the game for most of the duration. I dont mind tanking, but not too early in the season. Havent even looked at the current draft-class yet for this 2018 draft.
And you know its bleak when the draft is primarily what you're looking forward to.....

You mean unintended side-effect..... During the earlier part of the year offense seemed to be the big problem, and lately its been defense more. Team shows flashes but is getting dangerously complacent in how its losing. Clippers were an awful loss and then followed by the Grizzlies....Kings are hardly in the game for most of the duration. I dont mind tanking, but not too early in the season. Havent even looked at the current draft-class yet for this 2018 draft.
And you know its bleak when the draft is primarily what you're looking forward to.....
This draft has some pretty outstanding players at the top of the draft but gets weak pretty fast after 5 or so. Ayton, Bagley and Doncic are at the top. Center, Power Forward, Small Forward. After those three you have three could be very good but have questions. Porter (SF) disk issue in back, Young (PG) big enough, Bamba (can he do more than rim protect).

It’s one reason Danny Ainge put protections after the top 5 of the Lakers pick to get our 2019 pick instead.

I just find it so amusing the number of people that still don’t understand that a complete rebuild with a bunch of new players, some new to the NBA, most new to each other, most with less than three years’ experience, a coaching staff that has been in place less than two years and had to completely revamp their year one strategy (from win now to rebuild), followed by an almost complete reboot of the roster beginning with year two of the coaching staff, will produce a lot of ugly games. There’s going to be a lot more. Why would you expect anything else?

Honestly, the results I am seeing at not quite the halfway point of this season (year one of the rebuild) are pretty much what I expected. Lot of bad games with the occasional nicely played game that shows their potential. Some nice individual performances. Inconsistency is to be expected. They have a lot to learn. The ability to consistently be properly prepared and maintain motivation being two key items that always seem to take longer to develop. Seems like so many people expect instant gratification, it’s not going to happen.

So, I am going to enjoy the occasional win and not get too down over the losses. I don’t really understand why the “lin” people get so upset when they pull out a win, there are going to be a lot of losses. I am going to look for some positives, such as growth, development, and improvement of individual players, Willie, Bogs, and Buddy have shown some nice improvement as the season has progressed. I would have included Mason with those three, but he has regressed a little bit, but I think he will make the proper adjustments and step up his game, too. I hope to see some more of the young guys start to step up their game a little bit, if not by the end of this year then the start of next year. I hope by the end of year two (next year) of the rebuild to start seeing a lot more consistent play resulting in more good games and wins. I hope to see a play-off contender in year three of the rebuild.

The above statements are the opinion of the poster, no guarantees of results are implied. If you want to criticize my opinions, fine, but if you cross the line to obnoxious, or accuse me of fabricating facts (lying) I have an ignore button and know how to use it :p. You can call me a sunshine and rainbows kind of guy, that’s not so bad.

I just find it so amusing the number of people that still don’t understand that a complete rebuild with a bunch of new players, some new to the NBA, most new to each other, most with less than three years’ experience, a coaching staff that has been in place less than two years and had to completely revamp their year one strategy (from win now to rebuild), followed by an almost complete reboot of the roster beginning with year two of the coaching staff, will produce a lot of ugly games. There’s going to be a lot more. Why would you expect anything else?

Honestly, the results I am seeing at not quite the halfway point of this season (year one of the rebuild) are pretty much what I expected. Lot of bad games with the occasional nicely played game that shows their potential. Some nice individual performances. Inconsistency is to be expected. They have a lot to learn. The ability to consistently be properly prepared and maintain motivation being two key items that always seem to take longer to develop. Seems like so many people expect instant gratification, it’s not going to happen.

So, I am going to enjoy the occasional win and not get too down over the losses. I don’t really understand why the “lin” people get so upset when they pull out a win, there are going to be a lot of losses. I am going to look for some positives, such as growth, development, and improvement of individual players, Willie, Bogs, and Buddy have shown some nice improvement as the season has progressed. I would have included Mason with those three, but he has regressed a little bit, but I think he will make the proper adjustments and step up his game, too. I hope to see some more of the young guys start to step up their game a little bit, if not by the end of this year then the start of next year. I hope by the end of year two (next year) of the rebuild to start seeing a lot more consistent play resulting in more good games and wins. I hope to see a play-off contender in year three of the rebuild.

The above statements are the opinion of the poster, no guarantees of results are implied. If you want to criticize my opinions, fine, but if you cross the line to obnoxious, or accuse me of fabricating facts (lying) I have an ignore button and know how to use it :p. You can call me a sunshine and rainbows kind of guy, that’s not so bad.
Just to defend the Lin crowd.... pulling out a win on the backs of our young guys is fine. It shows progress and development of the young talent. Pulling out a win on the backs of Z-Bo and Hill taking every shot in the last 10 minutes of the game where the team dumps the ball into ZBo and 4 guys stand on the other side of the floor and watch ZBo work in Iso is not fine.

As an example Dallas won last night on the back of Barnes who scored 24 points and DSJ who scored 19. You need those games to show progress. The concern of the LIN crowd is far to often our wins are based on some 35 plus going off.

In just 3 Games where we won has the team been led in scoring by a player 25 or under and all three of those were WCS. If we win a game because Buddy got 30 mins and led us in scoring with 28 points on 15-20 shots I doubt you will hear the Lin crowd complain.

Last edited:
It's been a bleak decade man...

Don't worry, we have young prospects too! A PG that can't shoot or run an offense and a big without knees!

(I'm still hoping Fox puts it together in a year or two, but as for Giles, I'm more curious than hopeful. Dude has had a ton of knee issues.)

Giles was a why not pick. Nobody drafted him to be, or expects him to be a franchise changer. There is always a chance but I doubt that's the goal. Fox has as much potential as he did the day he was drafted, the hope should be that his terrible usage doesn't reveal much about him in the long run and also doesn't wreck his development. Fox can't run a Zbo centric offense with two bigs stuffing the paint? Consider me shocked!

I was there and it wasn’t a game for long. Our guys missed shots and soon were taking poor shots. Impatient and unwilling to work for sound shots. Meantime the Grizz started making shots and pulled away,well away. So it wasn’t competitive score wise. Fun seeing some of our small successes like Bog and WCS and some familiar faces like Evans, McLemore and Gasol. fn seeing the pregame warmups where Zbo exchanged hugs and words with half the people on the floor as did Vince. Our guys looked like they were having fun in the tunnel. They just forced too many shots for too long. We have a good roster, we don’t need to trade anybody or acquire anybody, we just need to continue improving as we are. Hope Mason is not hurt badly. He fell and hurt himself and then fell twice more before he was helped into the locker room.

Ffair e
Just to defend the Lin crowd.... pulling out a win on the backs of our young guys is fine. It shows progress and development of the young talent. Pulling out a win on the backs of Z-Bo and Hill taking every shot in the last 10 minutes of the game where the team dumps the ball into ZBo and 4 guys stand on the other side of the floor and watch ZBo work in Iso is not fine.

As an example Dallas won last night on the back of Barnes who scored 24 points and DSJ who scored 19. You need those games to show progress. The concern of the LIN crowd is far to often our wins are based on some 35 plus going off.

In just 3 Games where we won has the team been led in scoring by a player 25 or under and all three of those were WCS. If we win a game because Buddy got 30 mins and led us in scoring with 28 points on 15-20 shots I doubt you will hear the Lin crowd complain.
Fair enough :)