Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

Grants contract goes off the books when Keegan’s new deal starts so that’s good. Trading for his contract locks us into a core of fox, Keegan, Grant, and Sabonis which is a great core as is.

If we can send Huerter to Orlando for a first and send two firsts to Portland to get Grant and Thybull back. Would really change the team defense getting two long wing defenders

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well... we pretty much know who we are with this current group. We can stay the course and hope that an extra year of experience and some timely shooting carries us to (at the very least) a first round series victory this year or we're going to have to risk getting worse by trading away one of our big minute rotation guys (preferably not Fox, Sabonis, or Murray) for a new rotation guy or two who will hopefully raise our playoff ceiling.

I don't think trading second round picks and filler for an end of the bench role-player is going to move the needle much. I also don't see how we can add a starter (particularly a high-usage starter) without also subtracting one. Our offense has already devolved a bit this year into a "your turn, my turn" look instead of a well-coordinated 5-headed monster and I'm not sure it's even possible to go back to the endless good vibes of that magical 2022-2023 Beam Team run anymore. Fox is a signature sneaker guy now. Keegan is no longer just a shooter. Sabonis is still the ultimate set-up guy but he's also playing for the respect which the majority of NBA fans and coaches don't seem to think he deserves. What we need here is an ultimate glue guy to get all of these guys back on the same page again. I wish I knew who that player is but I don't.

Grants contract goes off the books when Keegan’s new deal starts so that’s good. Trading for his contract locks us into a core of fox, Keegan, Grant, and Sabonis which is a great core as is.

If we can send Huerter to Orlando for a first and send two firsts to Portland to get Grant and Thybull back. Would really change the team defense getting two long wing defenders
I like the idea of getting both Jerami and Thybulle. If the Kings FO can pull this off, the team will be very well balanced. At least on paper and only needing a backup Center. Jerami adds a 2nd player with some 1-on-1 iso ability to the starting 5, which the Kings only currently have when Fox and Monk are playing and they're too small as a duo. Thybulle can be the POA defender. I would even be fine with keeping Barnes in that event, as he will be relegated to the bench.

1-5: Fox, Thybulle, Murray, Jerami, Sabonis
5-10: +Davion? +Monk? +Barnes? +Lyles? +Who?

--------------

The Kings FO could try getting Goga Bitadze for the backup Center role? He's 3rd choice Center with the Magic and not getting guaranteed minutes, so being bumped up to 2nd choice might attract him to playing for the Kings instead.

Another potential option for that backup Center role is Karlo Matkovic? The Pelicans have his draft rights. I have not seen him play in games. His highlights look impressive enough though. Seems like he plays similar to Isaiah Hartenstein. A 7-footer who brings energy, rolls hard, protects the rim and rebounds as he has some bounce, can shoot the three a little. The Kings FO should at least give him a look to see if there's anything there.

If his name was Karl Collins instead of Karlo Matkovic, would you rather have Karl or John Collins on the squad? I think I'd prefer brother Karl to brother John.

Last edited:
I like the idea of getting both Jerami and Thybulle. If the Kings FO can pull this off, the team will be very well balanced. At least on paper and only needing a backup Center. Jerami adds a 2nd player with some 1-on-1 iso ability to the starting 5, which the Kings only currently have when Fox and Monk are playing and they're too small as a duo. Thybulle can be the POA defender. I would even be fine with keeping Barnes in that event, as he will be relegated to the bench.

1-5: Fox, Thybulle, Murray, Jerami, Sabonis
5-10: +Davion? +Monk? +Barnes? +Lyles? +Who?

--------------

The Kings FO could try getting Goga Bitadze for the backup Center role? He's 3rd choice Center with the Magic and not getting guaranteed minutes, so being bumped up to 2nd choice might attract him to playing for the Kings instead.

Another potential option for that backup Center role is Karlo Matkovic? The Pelicans have his draft rights. I have not seen him play in games. His highlights look impressive enough though. Seems like he plays similar to Isaiah Hartenstein. A 7-footer who brings energy, rolls hard, protects the rim and rebounds as he has some bounce, can shoot the three a little. The Kings FO should at least give him a look to see if there's anything there.

If his name was Karl Collins instead of Karlo Matkovic, would you rather have Karl or John Collins on the squad? I think I'd prefer brother Karl to brother John.

Personally think we’re fine at center and would rather go small with Lyles being the backup center The teams we’d see in the playoffs don’t have big mismatch advantages coming off the bench so Lyles spacing and versatility would be huge

OKC: Chet/J.Williams
Minnesota: Gobert/Ried
Denver: Jokic/Jordan
Clippers: Zubac/Plumlee
Pheonix: Nurkic/Eubanks
Pelicans: Jonas/Nance
Dallas: Livley/Kleiber
Lakers: AD/Hayes

The only team we’d a traditional backup center for would be denver I don’t fear Ried, Plumlee, or Jaxson Hayes bullying Lyles.

Matkovic was playing till recently for Cedevita in Europe and a couple of days ago he packed his bags and traveled to New Orleans with the team thanking him in social media etc. Still unclear what's the plan and why Pelicans called him, is he going to be a part of their squad or he will be traded to another team in the league? And it wouldn't mean only his "rights" since in that case the player wouldn't need to leave Europe and traveled all the way to USA for that.

Huh, might be a league wide boring deadline. I get it from the Wizards side, Kuzma’s contract is only going to go up in value due to the CBA and the need for big wings. Don’t really see the point of keeping Brogdon in Portland but maybe no one was offering a first. I’d keep him if all I was getting offered was seconds. Detroit plans to sign Tobias Harris in the off season so maybe they figure they have enough youth between Cade, Ivey, Thompson and Duren plus a top five pick this year. Still extra picks come in handy for future trades and they have zero extra picks.

From listening to a lot of trade podcasts there are a few things at play here.

1.) Lots of teams get multiple firsts that open up after this draft.

2.) A lot of the teams that have guys on multi year deals, who aren't in a hurry to improve or get assets might be able to get more over the summer

3.) Teams that are buttressing against the 2nd apron have to be super careful because it's highly restrictive. So deals will be even more difficult to complete.

Huh, might be a league wide boring deadline. I get it from the Wizards side, Kuzma’s contract is only going to go up in value due to the CBA and the need for big wings. Don’t really see the point of keeping Brogdon in Portland but maybe no one was offering a first. I’d keep him if all I was getting offered was seconds. Detroit plans to sign Tobias Harris in the off season so maybe they figure they have enough youth between Cade, Ivey, Thompson and Duren plus a top five pick this year. Still extra picks come in handy for future trades and they have zero extra picks.
Never know, sometimes the boring deadlines are the most active. It's up to the sellers. The value just isn't there for them and honestly shouldn't be. It's no surprise people aren't stoked about sell offs. Seems to always be that way heading into a pretty blah draft.

From listening to a lot of trade podcasts there are a few things at play here.

1.) Lots of teams get multiple firsts that open up after this draft.

2.) A lot of the teams that have guys on multi year deals, who aren't in a hurry to improve or get assets might be able to get more over the summer

3.) Teams that are buttressing against the 2nd apron have to be super careful because it's highly restrictive. So deals will be even more difficult to complete.
The problem is this might a deadline where teams that already went down the hole, like the Suns, pick up something of pretty significant value since why not. Hopefully not though.

Hollinger had a good article on some under the radar trade targets. For those that have the Athletic, check it out. Fontecchio was the one that stood out to me. According to John, his defense has been good and he shoots nearly 40 percent from 3. Is a restricted free agent after this year. 28 years old

Since there doesn’t appear to be a big “Star” move,

I hope the Kings get some good role players or players and address defense.

Almost similar to last season. The Kings main need is depth and more versatility to respond to different matchups.

Kings need a backup big. I like Len but since Brown seems to prefer Javale I say we need to go back to the drawing board there to upgrade.

Long athletic 4. Like the ones we’ve been mentioning. Nets are in dreamland in regards to DFS but he’s a good target and fit.

Patrick Williams is a dream target.

Jonathan Isaac is probably more easily attainable but risky. Both bring beast defense. I think even KD recently dropped Isaac as one of the best defenders. High praise for a guy who’s played like 40 games in 4 years.

Isaiah Stewart is a guy I like. An ideal big next to Domas. Could even be considered the actual “center” despite being shorter. His wingspan is ridiculous. Can stretch the floor. Block shots. Rebound.

Also, PJ Washington. I’m convinced most players on the Hornets haven’t found their true place in the NBA. While Washington has been good for them. He doesn’t have a defined role and It seems he has a higher potential as a 2 way.

Tyus Jones.

Dont mind raiding Utah. Fontechhio is good but more for future wouldn’t mind the Kings making a move for Ochai Agbaji. He seems to be the odd man out over there with Keyonte George and Sexton. Along with Clarkson. He’s a long athletic guard wing with some defensive potential that can hit threes.