Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

If there is one thing that Monte is, it's persistent. There have been rumors of Monte wanting OG, Siakam, Jerami Grant or Kyle Kuzma and I think he will eventually land one of them.

Seeing that Toronto is not realistic about their asking price for their players, I wouldn't be surprised if we land either Kyle Kuzma or Jerami Grant at the trade deadline. Both players seem to be available and I can see Monte trading some combo of Huerter, HB, or Mitchel and a draft pick or 2 to land a new starting forward to play alongside Keegan.

The only players I am not moving on from are Fox, Sabonis and Murray. losing murray in any deal moves you too far back for the moves to realistically move your team forward in a meaningful way. Fox/Sabonis/Murray and OG/Siakam/Grant are all good moves which add wing defense and more reliable scoring.

The only players I am not moving on from are Fox, Sabonis and Murray. losing murray in any deal moves you too far back for the moves to realistically move your team forward in a meaningful way. Fox/Sabonis/Murray and OG/Siakam/Grant are all good moves which add wing defense and more reliable scoring.
I don't think Siakam is a really good fit. Grant could probably turn this team into a real contender

Man, I kinda disagree. They are plenty tough. Have they had a few weak willed moments this year, sure. But it’s not egregious.

As much as @sactowndog towndog is annoying with the constant length and D argument, he is right about that. We don’t have it and the defensive stats prove it. Even though we have great D, teams shoot over our players and they far exceed their %%.

What I do disagree with is that he thinks there was some magic move that would have made us better this offseason.
The question is how you get that without taking a hit on production. If the Kings have Fox and Monk as the top 2, they're small. Period. They just are. Typically the only way to really make a team with that length and defense is around 2 or 3 guys that can carry your production. Domas isn't a 25 a night player. He's a little in the middle of your 2nd option and PG. Getting a player that can take pressure off of Fox and allowing Keegan to kind of keep going where he is as a 3 and D player and you're set. Two strict defenders at SF/PF is doable. On the other side if you they were able to land someone like OG then Fox and Monk might be just fine.

If there is one thing that Monte is, it's persistent. There have been rumors of Monte wanting OG, Siakam, Jerami Grant or Kyle Kuzma and I think he will eventually land one of them.

Seeing that Toronto is not realistic about their asking price for their players, I wouldn't be surprised if we land either Kyle Kuzma or Jerami Grant at the trade deadline. Both players seem to be available and I can see Monte trading some combo of Huerter, HB, or Mitchel and a draft pick or 2 to land a new starting forward to play alongside Keegan.
I'm not sure about Kuzma. Monte could've gone there this summer and apparently didn't. He definitely went for Beal, we do know that.

I think the most prudent move that is doable is Barnes + Davion + 1FRP for Jerami Grant.

It does not solve secondary rebounding though. Minor upgrade to wing defense. Adds 5MM to payroll.
We legitimately might need to add 3 FRPs for that deal to happen lol.

HB a very big net negative. He's on an awful contract with clear signs of being in a deep decline. Davion doesn't do much for them because they already have Scoot, Simons, Sharpe, and Brogan occupying the guard spots.

I'm not sure about Kuzma. Monte could've gone there this summer and apparently didn't. He definitely went for Beal, we do know that.
Monte has been linked to Kuzma ever since he tried to trade Buddy to the Lakers for him (which the Lakers botched and traded for Westbrook instead). IMHO, I think there is interest still there.

Siakam fit pretty well between Marc Gasol and Kawaii Leonard. I don’t see why he couldn’t fit between Murray and Sabonis.
Not sure if you are aware, but Gasol was traded to the Raptors during the championship year (2019 season) and only appeared in 26 regular season games. The trio of Siakam-Gasol-Leonard only played in 19 regular season games together. That lineup had MUCH more shooting than what we would have now. For context, 27% (1/4) of Gasol's FG attempts were 3pt shots. Only 10% (1/10) of Sabonis 3pt attempts were 3pt shots. This metric doesn't even account for Sabonis' 6 FTA. During the playoffs, Gasol completely upped his 3pt attempts to a nearly 50% frequency. Half of Gasol's shots each game were 3pters. This would never be Sabonis.

Sabonis is still not a consistent 3pt shooter. People keep pointing to his small sample size and stating that all he needs to do is "shoot more" but that has not happened.. and it's not going to happen.

Siakam has impressively worsened his 3pt shooting since the 2019 season. He was a 36.9% shooter during the 2019 season. Since then, he has declined every single year, with almost every new year, worse than the last. 3 years ago, he was a 29.7% 3pt shooter. 2 years ago, he was a 34.4% shooter. Last year, he was only a 32.4% 3pt shooter. This year, he is just a 20.7% 3pt shooter. Yikes. This is a clear downward trend. He might not be 20.7% bad, but he's still clearly a bad shooter. In the 2019 playoffs, his shooting actually took a nosedive to 27.9%.... you don't want to know what his 3pt % was in the playoffs in the 2 years that followed...

Needless to say, Siakam would not fit on this team. The convo should be about Fox and Sabonis, not Fox and Murray lol. But if you want to include Murray in this conversation, I'll add this: Murray cannot physically carry the shooting load for 2 bad shooters on the court...

We legitimately might need to add 3 FRPs for that deal to happen lol.

HB a very big net negative. He's on an awful contract with clear signs of being in a deep decline. Davion doesn't do much for them because they already have Scoot, Simons, Sharpe, and Brogan occupying the guard spots.
HB is solid for any team. They will trade Brogdon this season 100%. Recency bias is affecting your take.

HB is solid for any team. They will trade Brogdon this season 100%. Recency bias is affecting your take.
I don’t think the league feels the same way as kings fan do when it comes to HB. The league sees him for what he is, the 5th starter and 6th scoring option. If it was simply a defensive issue we would be starting Kessler Edwards but he can barely get in games. We, as currently constructed will only go as far as our top 4 guys take us (Fox, Ox, Monk and Keegan). Keegan is the one we need a jump from and unfortunately we as fans do not have the patience for it.

Barnes has 2 years and less than 40 mil left on his deal after this year. Easy peasy moving that if need be.

having said all that, we do need something more this year from the 3, 4 and or 2 if we are going to make a deep run. Who steps up? Who do we trade for? I really don’t know. The one encouraging sign is Keegan is at just under 31 percent from 3 after spending most of the first games below 25. Let’s hope he starts moving that average up to the 15-17 range I think is realistic for him.

Jake Gadon from abc 10 says “OG Annouby has no interest in coming to Sac, none whatsoever”. He said this on Dlo and Kc. Someone on twitter asked him where he got this info and he said,” through league sources… sorry I can’t be more precise than that…”

HB has noticeably declined athletically. He’s been an offensive, defensive traffic cone. Recency bias is not affect my take. He's bad. Offers little value on his current contract.

Jake Gadon from abc 10 says “OG Annouby has no interest in coming to Sac, none whatsoever”. He said this on Dlo and Kc. Someone on twitter asked him where he got this info and he said,” through league sources… sorry I can’t be more precise than that…”
That sucks, but no point in trading for someone who can walk in free agency. I think we really need to get a clear upgrade over Barnes. I don't think it matters if you get another wing/forward or a PF, we just need someone better. Maybe we pivot back to Kyle Kuzma or a John Collins?

Bummer if true. As much as most of us agree that OG would be the ideal get, i’ve given up on the idea.
Curious what value Barnes, Davion, even Huerter even have to other teams. And if we are better off targeting a bigger name forward or a younger upstart, if even available, like PJ Washington or Herb Jones.

Last edited:
I am not sure why people would even think Herb jones can be a target. Pelicans just signed him to a long term contract. In term of PJ Washington, I don’t understand the interest in him. He’s a very average player on a bad team.

I am not sure why people would even think Herb jones can be a target. Pelicans just signed him to a long term contract. In term of PJ Washington, I don’t understand the interest in him. He’s a very average player on a bad team.
Fair enough. Young players like Jones, Washington, and Vanderbilt were brought up a lot last year. Jones, I like what Ive seen vs us but yeah likely not a player NO is giving up on. I’m just more interested in what approach Monte might go to improve our forward situation. Certain teams seem to have the Kings figured out and I dont see us going far with Barnes.

That's what they all say before actually playing here.

This has always been my concern with him. Unlike a lot of players we have traded for, we are usually pretty certain we can win them over once here. IDK why, because it’s not based on anything but a feeling, but I always thought he’d just be a rental.

HB has noticeably declined athletically. He’s been an offensive, defensive traffic cone. Recency bias is not affect my take. He's bad. Offers little value on his current contract.

That sucks, but no point in trading for someone who can walk in free agency. I think we really need to get a clear upgrade over Barnes. I don't think it matters if you get another wing/forward or a PF, we just need someone better. Maybe we pivot back to Kyle Kuzma or a John Collins?
I think we have to be careful with trades because we have so few assets. It either needs to be a fringe move like say Davion for someone that helps us with length or a bigger trade that we use a bunch of picks on. The exception for me is Derozan, I really think he could help us

I wasn’t a fan of Kuzma in the off-season. Didn’t like the idea of him encroaching on Murray’s offensive development and have always pegged him as a bit of an inefficient chucker. But dare I say I’m a bit surprised by his efficiency this year? And not only has his efficiency improved, but he’s doing it on a much higher usage.

The guy is averaging (per36):

.310 USG%
.562 TS%
.472 FG%
.529 2P%
.359 3P%
.824 FT%
22.0 FGA
14.6 2PA
7.3 3PA
3.9 FTA
26.6 PPG
6.8 RPG
5.4 APG
0.3 SPG
0.7 BPG
2.8 TOPG
2.4 FPG

…and then you combine that with his size/length…
  • Height w/o Shoes = 6’8” (Barnes is 6’7”)
  • Wingspan = 7’0.25” (Barnes is 6’11.25”)
  • Standing Reach = 8’11.5” (Barnes is 8’6”)
…and he’s an interesting target.

From a defensive standpoint, he’s obviously got the size & length we’d be looking for at PF, and I think he’s been a bit underrated defensively. Plus he moves really well for his size with a 10.72 sec lane agility and a 2.98 sec shuttle run. OMP (shoutout to @sactowndog ) had a 10.59 sec lane agility and a 3.00 sec shuttle run but Kuzma is 1.25” taller and has a 3.5” longer standing reach. He’d also be an upgrade on the glass considering he averages over 7 rebounds (per36) for his career.

From a contractual standpoint, he’s locked up for 4 years so you don’t have to worry about him playing a season and leaving in FA (like Siakam and Anunoby could do) and his contract decreases each year. Knowing how much the cap is projected to increase, I could easily see his deal look pretty attractive a couple years down the road (he’ll be making only $19.4 mil during the 2026-27 season).

Monte has been linked to Kuzma ever since he tried to trade Buddy to the Lakers for him (which the Lakers botched and traded for Westbrook instead). IMHO, I think there is interest still there.
Yeah, but he didn't even apparently try. There were rumors but it was almost like Beal or nothing.

I wasn’t a fan of Kuzma in the off-season. Didn’t like the idea of him encroaching on Murray’s offensive development and have always pegged him as a bit of an inefficient chucker. But dare I say I’m a bit surprised by his efficiency this year? And not only has his efficiency improved, but he’s doing it on a much higher usage.

The guy is averaging (per36):

.310 USG%
.562 TS%
.472 FG%
.529 2P%
.359 3P%
.824 FT%
22.0 FGA
14.6 2PA
7.3 3PA
3.9 FTA
26.6 PPG
6.8 RPG
5.4 APG
0.3 SPG
0.7 BPG
2.8 TOPG
2.4 FPG

…and then you combine that with his size/length…
  • Height w/o Shoes = 6’8” (Barnes is 6’7”)
  • Wingspan = 7’0.25” (Barnes is 6’11.25”)
  • Standing Reach = 8’11.5” (Barnes is 8’6”)
…and he’s an interesting target.

From a defensive standpoint, he’s obviously got the size & length we’d be looking for at PF, and I think he’s been a bit underrated defensively. Plus he moves really well for his size with a 10.72 sec lane agility and a 2.98 sec shuttle run. OMP (shoutout to @sactowndog ) had a 10.59 sec lane agility and a 3.00 sec shuttle run but Kuzma is 1.25” taller and has a 3.5” longer standing reach. He’d also be an upgrade on the glass considering he averages over 7 rebounds (per36) for his career.

From a contractual standpoint, he’s locked up for 4 years so you don’t have to worry about him playing a season and leaving in FA (like Siakam and Anunoby could do) and his contract decreases each year. Knowing how much the cap is projected to increase, I could easily see his deal look pretty attractive a couple years down the road (he’ll be making only $19.4 mil during the 2026-27 season).
The concern is that he's not going to be a 1st option in Sac. The Wiz made a wise decision in re-signing him because he is that there. Hate to be the team adding him as a last piece and regretting it.

This has always been my concern with him. Unlike a lot of players we have traded for, we are usually pretty certain we can win them over once here. IDK why, because it’s not based on anything but a feeling, but I always thought he’d just be a rental.
A player in OG's position turning down the $$$ is unlikely.