[Game] Kings @ Spurs 2/1/2023 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching the game and didn’t want to jump on here for fear I’d see if we win or lost but Ill keep it simple- lucky we won, thank God for Domas huge point game points, Monk was on fire because the Spurs were not going anywhere. I was expecting a larger point win just keeping it real. Glad they could light the beam.

I stand by my take that while Fox may have liked Hali as a person he absolutely hated playing with him. Dude wasn’t himself at all last season until the trade. May have been some personal stuff as had been speculated but I think he was just miserable at work.
Truly! It's undeniable, really. I think he may have assumed there was writing on the wall and they were about to fully replace him. As competitive as Fox is, i can see he really wanted to be here and help be one of the guys to lead us back to prominence.

Malik is really starting to find his early season form the last 5 games:

25.4 MPG
14.8 PPG
3.6 RPG
4.6 APG
69.9% TS (damn)
47.1% from 3 on 3.4 3PA

Him really developing and taking over that 3rd creator role off of Fox/Domas is going to be so key if we're going to do anything in the playoffs. Davion just isn't there yet and Huerter/Barnes/Murray are your finishers, they're never guys you just go expect to create a shot for you. Barnes occasionally finds the gear to go get to the FT line, but he's much more comfortable in a more passive role where he gets shots within the offense.

This team really gets dangerous when he's in this form. Now with the 3 elite spacers next to Fox/Domas, you're adding a 3rd (potential) offensive engine that can give you secondary creation when Fox or Domas are out of the game.

Just finished watching the game and didn’t want to jump on here for fear I’d see if we win or lost but Ill keep it simple- lucky we won, thank God for Domas huge point game points, Monk was on fire because the Spurs were not going anywhere. I was expecting a larger point win just keeping it real. Glad they could light the beam.
Kings were favored by 7.5. They covered that. It's not that easy to just blow teams out in the NBA, especially when they are at home.

This is a solid win.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Truly! It's undeniable, really. I think he may have assumed there was writing on the wall and they were about to fully replace him. As competitive as Fox is, i can see he really wanted to be here and help be one of the guys to lead us back to prominence.
Fox is a professional and I really do like Hali, but could the converse have been true. It would go a long way to explain the bitter ex act.

Fox is a professional and I really do like Hali, but could the converse have been true. It would go a long way to explain the bitter ex act.
Haliburton is a great player. But he definitely loves himself and the spotlight. Not sure that's a good fit personality wise with Fox. The impression I got when Haliburton threw a fit was that he thought this was his team and Fox was going to be the one to get traded.

Both good players and good dudes. Just didn't have chemistry.

That whole situation was bungled by the coach. Plenty of coaches run two G offenses, one is in Dallas right now. Walton wanted to have a PG/SG centric set up and more than once tried to turn Fox into an offball SG. Of course, that might have also been Fox's idea somewhat. He's always been somewhat coy when the conversation comes to him being a PG. The one year Walton made Fox a PG is the other career year for Fox. You can't underrate the fact that people will captain their own ship down even when they were on course to some level of success. Monte made the smart play, showcased the heck out of his recently drafted PG's in Davion and Tyrese and moved when he could. My only question is did he ever actually ever believe that drivel he spouted about having 3 PG's and Davion playing the 4 hahaha. My guess after believing he was crazy at the start is not, he was stacking assets and waiting.

I stand by my take that while Fox may have liked Hali as a person he absolutely hated playing with him. Dude wasn’t himself at all last season until the trade. May have been some personal stuff as had been speculated but I think he was just miserable at work.
Agree, and frankly they had to build a locker room where Fox could be the leader. Tyreese could easily hold his own with a locker room full of louder personalities, but Fox isn’t one to fight for the spotlight. The current squad is balanced not only in their hoop skills but in their personalities as well. That locker room dynamic reflects the on-court hierarchy.

Malik is really starting to find his early season form the last 5 games:

25.4 MPG
14.8 PPG
3.6 RPG
4.6 APG
69.9% TS (damn)
47.1% from 3 on 3.4 3PA

Him really developing and taking over that 3rd creator role off of Fox/Domas is going to be so key if we're going to do anything in the playoffs. Davion just isn't there yet and Huerter/Barnes/Murray are your finishers, they're never guys you just go expect to create a shot for you. Barnes occasionally finds the gear to go get to the FT line, but he's much more comfortable in a more passive role where he gets shots within the offense.

This team really gets dangerous when he's in this form. Now with the 3 elite spacers next to Fox/Domas, you're adding a 3rd (potential) offensive engine that can give you secondary creation when Fox or Domas are out of the game.
Monk is probably our best pure point guard on the team. The difference this year is Fox has actually choosing to play defense this year. We won this game on defense.

Kings were favored by 7.5. They covered that. It's not that easy to just blow teams out in the NBA, especially when they are at home.

This is a solid win.
Yeah, I don't understand this kind of thinking myself...

Just because a team has a significantly worse record than us doesn't necessarily mean that we should be "blowing them out", especially on their own court. Teams play a much different style of ball on their floor. In front of their fans. When they come out of their own locker rooms. A 10 point win on the road against ANY team is a 10 point win I am going to enjoy, celebrate, and feel damn good (and proud) about.

I learned this the hard way, and I merely offer a simple "life" lesson here as a result of it...Don't always look at the overall records. Look at the point spread.

I disagree. We won because they played defense. It is funny as I was thinking our main 3 point shooters in Barnes, Keegan, Huerter and Lyles would never all be bad in one game….

Boy was I wrong….. 3-14. Ugh. Also I wonder how bad Sochan’s back really was ;-). Brown and Pop are good friends

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Haliburton is a great player. But he definitely loves himself and the spotlight. Not sure that's a good fit personality wise with Fox. The impression I got when Haliburton threw a fit was that he thought this was his team and Fox was going to be the one to get traded.

Both good players and good dudes. Just didn't have chemistry.
That is precisely what I was getting at with my question. I don't know I saw it for that at the time, but in hindsight it feels that way.

I wonder if there is any temptation as seeing there is zero elite/borderline unbeatable teams over a 7 games series for the Kings to go all in right now before the deadline in offering up picks/Daviom/Murray for a All-Star/borderline and above average starter. Honestly with 2 good pieces (just assuming we can get them) the Kings can beat anyone in the West, teams like Denver and Memphis look like massive pretenders (yes they can still win it all but are easily beatable imo), even in the East Boston is super reliant on 3's and the Bucks are just always banged up.

I don't think there has been a season where literally anyone can win, this legit could be the best chance the Kings will have to win a title (never thought I would be saying this) with a few upgrades. It's a legit question at this point imo.

I wonder if there is any temptation as seeing there is zero elite/borderline unbeatable teams over a 7 games series for the Kings to go all in right now before the deadline in offering up picks/Daviom/Murray for a All-Star/borderline and above average starter. Honestly with 2 good pieces (just assuming we can get them) the Kings can beat anyone in the West, teams like Denver and Memphis look like massive pretenders (yes they can still win it all but are easily beatable imo), even in the East Boston is super reliant on 3's and the Bucks are just always banged up.

I don't think there has been a season where literally anyone can win, this legit could be the best chance the Kings will have to win a title (never thought I would be saying this) with a few upgrades. It's a legit question at this point imo.
I have almost no doubt that Monte will gauge the potential of a Davion/Murray package. The reality is though that there really aren't many of those all star names out there and the bigger names are probably fetching a better package than the Kings can offer since that Huerter trade kind of does what the Jason Thompson trade did to Vlade as far as offering picks. Not quite as bad though. Davion has taken a hit in value due to role and Murray is essentially an older rookie role player although he's shot lights out for the last two months. It'll be interesting to see what teams do because so many teams are one foot in the playoffs one foot in the grave this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a quiet deadline which could lead to a super busy draft night which is where I think Monte should attach that 1st rounder to Holmes and cut some of his deal to make a little more wiggle room for FA if he can. The Kings could use that space in a variety of ways.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

Common wisdom seems to be that the asking price for all Star quality players got skewed so high thanks to the gobert trade that there really is no package to get an All-Star that makes sense. Moreover this group of guys were just put together in one season and have put themselves in the third seed with a very legit shot of landing a second seed. I don't think you want to mess with that kind of chemistry unless you're trading loose bits like Alex Lin or trading for an absolute sure thing and even then you don't know how that new piece will fit with the current machine. Overcoming presumption requires some very serious evidence and at the moment we have a winning team with momentum so the threshold for me would be enormous to trade any of the rotation players.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I have almost no doubt that Monte will gauge the potential of a Davion/Murray package. The reality is though that there really aren't many of those all star names out there and the bigger names are probably fetching a better package than the Kings can offer since that Huerter trade kind of does what the Jason Thompson trade did to Vlade as far as offering picks. Not quite as bad though. Davion has taken a hit in value due to role and Murray is essentially an older rookie role player although he's shot lights out for the last two months. It'll be interesting to see what teams do because so many teams are one foot in the playoffs one foot in the grave this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a quiet deadline which could lead to a super busy draft night which is where I think Monte should attach that 1st rounder to Holmes and cut some of his deal to make a little more wiggle room for FA if he can. The Kings could use that space in a variety of ways.
Davion is whatever. I’ve never been overly high on him, but I can’t imagine a world where they trade Keegan. He fits the team perfectly. Of course I also never imagined a world where they would trade Hali, but at least they had the fit problem to accompany that trade.

Davion is whatever. I’ve never been overly high on him, but I can’t imagine a world where they trade Keegan. He fits the team perfectly. Of course I also never imagined a world where they would trade Hali, but at least they had the fit problem to accompany that trade.
I have to agree. Davion is available for the right price, but Keegan is right up there with Domas in terms of untouchable. Young, fits the team so well, a pros pro already, literally a historic shooter for a rookie and has a great chance to break the threes record, and coachable while also being on a rookie contract. Only way you give that all up is if you have Kevin Durant, Embiid type players coming back to you. Not saying Keegan is anywhere near that level, but productive young guys on rookie contracts is like striking gold. Gotta value them

Status
Not open for further replies.