Kings SIGN Javale McGee

You forgot we picked up the team option on Edwards. So, only one roster spot.
Good catch, knew I was forgetting somebody. I honestly wouldn't mind Queta taking that last slot. Give him one more season to showcase something and then cut bait at the end of the year if he can't get off the bench. The team doesn't really need anything; I guess you could say an emergency PG, but I'd hope we'd just give that to Monk/Jones/call up Ellis in that scenario.

Basically, would rather keep the potential upside swing in Queta than sign a Delly 2.0 that'll just be gone next year.

You're serious? Queta doesn't belong there. I think he's below average. McGEE is what we needed to at least alter shots in the paint. There are teams with big lengthy dudes in the paint and the Kings are going to have a hard time guarding them due to lack of size. McGee will at least help in that regard. Him and Len can help protect the paint. Noel not so much....he can help spread the floor that the other two can't, that's my bet.
Yes I'm serious I don't think Noel or McGee are going to be so good.

Queta is raw but potential wise I would think he's at the same level as the other two

Oh WOW. Guaranteed Vet min deal. So he's the third banana with Len.

Seems unlikely Noel/Queta make the team now. And Skal gets sent to the G-League squad.
I thought that would be the case. Maybe im a prisoner of what i saw him doing against us with the Mavs, but, i was always relieved when he left the floor in favor or Powell coming in to stink it up in that overtime thriller. Javale can play!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Oh WOW. Guaranteed Vet min deal. So he's the third banana with Len.

Seems unlikely Noel/Queta make the team now. And Skal gets sent to the G-League squad.
Guaranteed vet contracts don’t count against the cap even if they get cut so I don’t think it really changes the idea of a battle royale for that last backup big slot.

Guaranteed vet contracts don’t count against the cap even if they get cut so I don’t think it really changes the idea of a battle royale for that last backup big slot.
I mean, it's still like 3 mil or whatever right that we'd have to pay up for? Opposed to the 250/300k for Queta and Noel? Pretty strong signal that McGee gets the spot imo

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, it's still like 3 mil or whatever right that we'd have to pay up for? Opposed to the 250/300k for Queta and Noel? Pretty strong signal that McGee gets the spot imo
If I’m not mistaken, Bazemore got a similar deal from us last season and wound up cut

Good signing. And this is what playoff teams do. They fill out the end of their bench with inexpensive but productive talent that can offer useful minutes situationally or due to injuries further up the bench. The Kings need guys like McGee and Len so Domas can get a couple more minutes' rest per game. He can't be logging the kind of time he did last season if this team is going to have playoff longevity.

Skal, Noel, McGee... I don't think you could have picked three more interesting big man signings.

I've never been on the Queta train. Something about his game just seems... off. Never seen him be in the flow, or otherwise work to find a useful role. It always seemed like there was this "potential" - and flashes of something - but I never saw the immediate real impact starting in a limited way. For example like I did with Edwards.

Skal, Noel, McGee... I don't think you could have picked three more interesting big man signings.

I've never been on the Queta train. Something about his game just seems... off. Never seen him be in the flow, or otherwise work to find a useful role. It always seemed like there was this "potential" - and flashes of something - but I never saw the immediate real impact starting in a limited way. For example like I did with Edwards.
Yeah, I think with Queta, that we just haven't seen the leap in SL yet. He was one of the best players in the G-League last season, but still came into this SL as inconsistent as ever. Had stretches of dominance, to be sure, but I left his SL performance with just as many questions as I had previously.

Kessler is another interesting case. He was up and down in SL, but he still had awesome games and was just honestly miscast as the lead offensive option for that squad. But you add in what he did without a training camp last year, the same quality defense he showed in SL and yeah...you very easily how he could carve a rotation spot with the main squad. Same with what Jones and Ellis showed.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
McGee has had some impactful moments as an NBA center. It's a good low-risk pretty good reward player picked up by McNair. I think Queta won't get any minutes next season in a Kings' uni. Brown is at least going to have the horses to play "match-up ball" with Lyles, McGee, Len and Noel as backup centers.

I watched him play at the Univ of Nevada and have watched him his whole career. In spite of Shaq making fun of his play, McGee brings length and athleticism. Good rebounder and good defender. He is a good finisher in close and actually can shoot the three although few teams have asked him to use it. I think he is an upgrade from Len. Queta is not the answer. A good pickup.

So really, it appears that the last roster spot could be a race between Queta, Skal, and Noel. Don't think Queta has a chance in that race. Noel might be the more known quantity. Skal could really impress in camp, but I could see us keeping Noel and Skal and stashing the latter in Stockton in case of injury to a big man. Seems Monte is taking no chances in making sure we have more big man depth, and particularly shot blocking. It's also an indication that he probably feels good about Jones and Duarte handling as backup wings/glue guys that can handle the ball when needed.

So really, it appears that the last roster spot could be a race between Queta, Skal, and Noel. Don't think Queta has a chance in that race. Noel might be the more known quantity. Skal could really impress in camp, but I could see us keeping Noel and Skal and stashing the latter in Stockton in case of injury to a big man. Seems Monte is taking no chances in making sure we have more big man depth, and particularly shot blocking. It's also an indication that he probably feels good about Jones and Duarte handling as backup wings/glue guys that can handle the ball when needed.
I bet you Queta gets it

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I think with the Kings indeed having so many known quantities that perhaps the Skal/Stockton thing was a way to guarantee him that the Kings wouldn't just cut him in camp and leave him behind the 8 ball elsewhere. Worst case, he's got a job in Stockton which I don't know whether that's a step up from his gig last year or not but probably easier for him. The Kings are certainly stacked to the gills at almost every position other than true PG but they have Domas who is the PG anyway, lol.

Yeah, I think with the Kings indeed having so many known quantities that perhaps the Skal/Stockton thing was a way to guarantee him that the Kings wouldn't just cut him in camp and leave him behind the 8 ball elsewhere. Worst case, he's got a job in Stockton which I don't know whether that's a step up from his gig last year or not but probably easier for him. The Kings are certainly stacked to the gills at almost every position other than true PG but they have Domas who is the PG anyway, lol.
Skal in the G league or whatever it's called now seems like an ideal use of the league. It's not only for developing players - but keeping them in your stable for when you might need them in a year or so. Also provides great flexibility if a trade goes down. Good big men are hard to find. We new have potentially a raft of them that we can use in trades or in any number of scenarios that may play out. Monte's not just collecting big men - he's collecting options. You see that same pattern with how our offense is constructed. We have everyway to beat you - at the rim, mid range, and long ball. I really like the larger strategy that is emerging - across the whole organization.

And about the PG situation - we have two pure PGs - Fox and Davion. We also have a couple alt type PGs in Monk and Jones. Throw in Duarte as a part time ball handler and I think we're actually set at PG for now. I'd rather be 4 deep at center than 4 deep at pure PG.

Last edited:
I watched him play at the Univ of Nevada and have watched him his whole career. In spite of Shaq making fun of his play, McGee brings length and athleticism. Good rebounder and good defender. He is a good finisher in close and actually can shoot the three although few teams have asked him to use it. I think he is an upgrade from Len. Queta is not the answer. A good pickup.
Out of Reno he was a horrible defender who could block a shot or two a game. Over the years he's gotten better but he was a terrible one on one defender in his early years.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
"Sources have told The Sacramento Bee the Kings plan to assign Labissiere to the G League Stockton Kings, so that will likely leave McGee, Len, Noel and Queta to compete for two roster spots."

Sacramento Kings announce JaVale McGee signing. Does contract mean he will make the team? (yahoo.com link)
Since we're picking him up off waivers even if it's a guaranteed contract it's not the kind of thing you worry about if you cut him to make room for a better player