Kings putting Bogs into starting lineup instead of Hield

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
What team benches their leading scorer? Trying to think of examples.
Over the course of an entire season? The 2018-19 LA Clippers, off the top of my head... Now, had they not traded Tobias Harris mid-season, who knows?

EDIT - Also, Manu Ginobili led the Spurs in scoring, the season after they won their fourth championship, and he only started 23 out of 74 games that year. That second one's actually both a confirmation and a refutation of your statement, because Ginobili started the season on the bench, then they put him in the starting lineup, and then they sent him back to the bench.

Last edited:
Curious if they thought this was a way to show the league how much we value Bogdan when talking to teams at the trade deadline. Probably a little easier to get more value back for your “starting SG” vs. your “backup SG.”

Could just be a conspiracy theory of course.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this to me essentially seems like a trial phase for Bogdanovic as a starter for the rest of the season, should he remain the starter for the last three months. It will also tell the front office and the fanbase if Bogdan can handle all those minutes without another injury appearing.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yo, what the hell is the deal with Walton's smarmy little, "Who told you that?", when asked about the change to his starting lineup, as if he didn't already know that the reporter had it right? I hate how ****ting on the media has become the new favorite pastime in this country and, then, even when they do their due diligence, we condescend to them, anyway. **** that guy.
I'm glad you made the qualifier!:D It does seem to be such a rare occurrence!:D

Bogi has got to play better if he wants to start, I thought he was crap again tonight easily the worst out of all the players that we rely on (Fox/Bjelly/Barnes/Buddy/Cojo). I thought Bazemore despite probably not scoring (maybe he hit 1 shot) had a far bigger impact on the game. Bogi has shown he's got good tools but he's just not using them he's trying to be something he's not/can't do at the NBA level for the past 2 seasons.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It’s broke for the past 15 years.
Now I don't even know what we're talking about. Buddy and Bogdan have been on the team for 15 years? Seems to me that "it" could be a lot of things but in the context of moving Buddy to the bench, only the last 3 of them are actually relevant.

Well, that didn’t last long. Buddy is something else. From Jason Jones’ article last night:

“Stuff like that, they don’t start you and after that everybody says, ‘Oh, he’s the problem,'” Hield said. “You just let everybody know what the **** is going on. That’s what I’ve been doing and God he knows what I’m doing, I know what I’m capable of doing.

“Nobody was saying that when we had a 12-14 record, it was, ‘He’s carrying the team,’ stuff like that. When we start losing, it’s a big problem. It is what it is, I’ve just got to stay confident, stay locked in and be ready and professional. That’s what it is, man. If I’m happy or not happy, I’m not going to show it out on the court. I’m going to go out and play my minutes.”

Let’s rehab his value n trade him this offseason.

Well, that didn’t last long. Buddy is something else. From Jason Jones’ article last night:

“Stuff like that, they don’t start you and after that everybody says, ‘Oh, he’s the problem,'” Hield said. “You just let everybody know what the **** is going on. That’s what I’ve been doing and God he knows what I’m doing, I know what I’m capable of doing.

“Nobody was saying that when we had a 12-14 record, it was, ‘He’s carrying the team,’ stuff like that. When we start losing, it’s a big problem. It is what it is, I’ve just got to stay confident, stay locked in and be ready and professional. That’s what it is, man. If I’m happy or not happy, I’m not going to show it out on the court. I’m going to go out and play my minutes.”

Let’s rehab his value n trade him this offseason.
A bit more:

“It’s not the kind of contract teams sign reserves to, and Hield does not see himself as a reserve. Hield was the key player acquired when the Kings traded All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins in February 2017 to New Orleans”

What happened to being team first? Dude doesn’t talk about winning. It’s about him n how he just has to do a job.

A bit more:

“It’s not the kind of contract teams sign reserves to, and Hield does not see himself as a reserve. Hield was the key player acquired when the Kings traded All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins in February 2017 to New Orleans”

What happened to being team first? Dude doesn’t talk about winning. It’s about him n how he just has to do a job.
Do you think Fox/Bagley/Barnes see themselves as reserves? Honest question. Seems you are more concerned with what a guy says than what he actually does on the court. As long as he's playing well and not causing dysfunction in the locker room, who cares what dumb things he says to the media?

Do you think Fox/Bagley/Barnes see themselves as reserves? Honest question. Seems you are more concerned with what a guy says than what he actually does on the court. As long as he's playing well and not causing dysfunction in the locker room, who cares what dumb things he says to the media?
That's why I care. Read the article and see if Buddy mentions the team. It's about him, how he's the scapegoat, how just has to do a job...

You think that's not going to have an impact on the locker room? Rehab his value and trade his ass.

I dont care how many points Buddy scores, the team just LOOKS better without him on the court for the ml post part. He has shot them out of games far more than he has shot them into them, and his turnovers and lack of team defense create runs for the other team. Buddy needs to shut it and play his role.

We have these expectations that the team are all best friends and happy warriors, but that illusion is made possible by people sticking to the script on what they say publicly. In reality, conflict is normal. Joerger's abraisiveness created lots of conflict, but some of that was a catalyst that produced results. No competitor is actually fine going from a starter to the bench...some just have more professional filters than others.

Joerger said Hield was better suited to be a 6th man and tonight that is true
May also be a matter of Fit. Buddy excelled in Joerger's offense but has not done so in Walton"s. Different jobs require different tools, and different coaches will best utilize different players.

A bit more:

Hield talked about winning in his post game on court interview last night. Do you think you might be only seeing what confirms your assessment of Buddy?

Hield talked about winning in his post game on court interview last night. Do you think you might be only seeing what confirms your assessment of Buddy?
I think people also forget what they have or do say at work. Ever complain to/with your co-worker(s)? I would hate to have everything I say in public or at the workplace dissected like we do the players.

I agree with you that context matters. Was the specific questions about team or was it directed at him as a player? Could make a huge difference in type of answer he might give.

Over the course of an entire season? The 2018-19 LA Clippers, off the top of my head... Now, had they not traded Tobias Harris mid-season, who knows?

EDIT - Also, Manu Ginobili led the Spurs in scoring, the season after they won their fourth championship, and he only started 23 out of 74 games that year. That second one's actually both a confirmation and a refutation of your statement, because Ginobili started the season on the bench, then they put him in the starting lineup, and then they sent him back to the bench.
Heild is our Lou Williams, which is perfectly fine with me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think people also forget what they have or do say at work. Ever complain to/with your co-worker(s)? I would hate to have everything I say in public or at the workplace dissected like we do the players.

I agree with you that context matters. Was the specific questions about team or was it directed at him as a player? Could make a huge difference in type of answer he might give.
The problem I have is that Buddy keeps shooting himself in the foot by blathering to the media. He's his own worst enemy in this regard. I'm sorry someone on the coaching staff hasn't mentioned to him that he can give short answers and not bare his soul to every single reporter that shoves a phone in his face.

Buddy did the post game interview and said the right things. He looked good as the high minutes Sixth Man last night.
I didn't watch the post-game. I hope this is the Buddy we see/hear going forward.

defensively, this is a good combination.
fox and hield cannot play together mostly because of defence issues and I don't see that they clicked offensively.

so, fox - bogdan - barnes is a below avg defender - above avg defender - good defender combination, which works for me.

cojo - buddy - kent as a second line up is a good defender - (very) bad defender - good defender combination, so opponents will found harder to exploit buddy's defensive liabilities.

and it's easy to input bjelica-holmes and bagley- dedmon duo's in these lineups.

bottom line, don't put fox and hield together.
good defence - more fast break opportunities for fox.