Kings Practice Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to have a bad feeling about this return to play actually happening.
It absolutely will not be happening and people have been fooling themselves for weeks thinking it will.

There will be no major sports (with the exception of PPV UFC) for the next six months, minimum. Sorry, but people need a dose of reality. You've seen your last NBA game of this "season". There will be lawsuits.

There will be no MLB, at all.

There will be no NFL, at all.

There will be ZERO college sports, anywhere.

We will be lucky if baseball starts next April. There will likely be no NBA for the first few months of next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
It absolutely will not be happening and people have been fooling themselves for weeks thinking it will.

There will be no major sports (with the exception of PPV UFC) for the next six months, minimum. Sorry, but people need a dose of reality. You've seen your last NBA game of this "season". There will be lawsuits.

We will be lucky if baseball starts next April. There will likely be no NBA for the first few months of next season.
Only a sith deals in absolutes...

We shall see. Money is a powerful motivator and has been known to make happen or not to happen. And if you don't think politics influence judicial proceedings, I don't know what to tell you. What I also can't tell you is how the cards being held are going to play out. That we shall see or at least a version that they (whoever they are) want you/me to see.

The public health and epidemiological aspects of the bubble games are much more interesting than the basketball aspect. It seems like the NBA has thoughtfully designed rules for managing the disease.

The experiment will tell us something about the viability of cordoning off areas where people can live relatively normally.

The public health and epidemiological aspects of the bubble games are much more interesting than the basketball aspect. It seems like the NBA has thoughtfully designed rules for managing the disease.

The experiment will tell us something about the viability of cordoning off areas where people can live relatively normally.
So we can have 50+ feudal States? Depending on how you break down the individual States. The waste lands and the "sterilized" pockets?

So we can have 50+ feudal States? Depending on how you break down the individual States. The waste lands and the "sterilized" pockets?
Not sure what feudalism has to do with it, or wastelands vs sterilized "pockets." It all sounds a bit high fantasy.

I'm talking about figuring out what is actually technically feasible in the real world today in a a controlled environment.

Not sure what feudalism has to do with it, or wastelands vs sterilized "pockets." It all sounds a bit high fantasy.

I'm talking about figuring out what is actually technically feasible in the real world today in a a controlled environment.
Simple. Who is allowed in the controlled environment and who is excluded? And who gets to decide? You WILL have the have's and the have's not. We already do. But add to that, the allowed and the allowed not.

We will be lucky if baseball starts next April. There will likely be no NBA for the first few months of next season. The riots that result form the upcoming acquittals of cops (you can bank on both acquittals) will be far worse than what we've had, and that will cause a THIRD wave in Oct/Nov. The chaos that is about to ravage through our society will be something that you thought only happened in third world countries. Add in 25% unemployment, and a lot of people just don't have much to lose.
Username and post do not check out ;)

A lot of the media is trying to trick us into thinking this whole thing is a bigger deal than it really is. Cases are surging because available tests are surging. Death rate continues to drop. The media will drop facts like "ICUs in Florida are at 90% capacity". Is that all ICUs? Just a few? One? Do people know that ICUs are normally at 55-85% capacity without any major diseases going around? Is the stigma of COVID causing some people that test positive to believe they might be sicker than they actually are, which is taking up more hospital beds that might need be? Would many of these people just stayed home and recovered like normal if we had never heard of COVID?

I'm not saying open the flood gates and get back to normal but there are a heck of a lot of us out there that are forced to go back to work and be around a ton of people and we don't make millions of dollars to put up with it. Players need to toughen up and deal with it.

A lot of the media is trying to trick us into thinking this whole thing is a bigger deal than it really is. Cases are surging because available tests are surging. Death rate continues to drop. The media will drop facts like "ICUs in Florida are at 90% capacity". Is that all ICUs? Just a few? One? Do people know that ICUs are normally at 55-85% capacity without any major diseases going around? Is the stigma of COVID causing some people that test positive to believe they might be sicker than they actually are, which is taking up more hospital beds that might need be? Would many of these people just stayed home and recovered like normal if we had never heard of COVID?

I'm not saying open the flood gates and get back to normal but there are a heck of a lot of us out there that are forced to go back to work and be around a ton of people and we don't make millions of dollars to put up with it. Players need to toughen up and deal with it.
Sorry but COVID-19 is still out there. Yes, there's more testing available BUT when there was fewer tests only those who were symptomatic or in contact of a positive were being tested. Now without symptoms you can be tested. That's a huge variable to take into account. The fatality rate is dropping but is that because it's not as bad as first reported or because younger individuals are now coming up positive and the younger generation has a less likely chance of it killing them now? Down the road who knows what health impact it may or may not have on them?

Unfortunately we will never know how many lives were lost by people giving up because of isolation and lost because of the world's economy being shut down. The lowest caste in places like India were essentially given death sentences when their livelihood was interrupted with the order to stay in place for several weeks. When living day to day, you can't wait several weeks to earn your next day's meal.

Sorry, i disagree. This thing IS a lot bigger than it really is. I am not a statistician or epidemiologist and I can't speak on the rest of the country. I CAN however speak on what is happening in Sacramento at my own facility and to an extent the three main regional hospital in Sacramento. I am a physician who works on the inpatient side and take care of patients including Covid patients. Back in March, we had the initial wave of admissions where the patients are much older and sicker and most either died or linger in the hospital for weeks with complications after complications. May was a quiet month but since June we have had a resurgence of cases that is twice what we were seeing in March. The mortality is lower however but because mainly our patients are now younger age demographic 30's to 70's so they tend to be a bit healthier . That and we have more experience dealing with this disease. Do they still need ICU care? still quite a fair amount of them end up in ICU. They do eventually get better but it takes 5-10 days before they can make it out of the hospital.

For comparison sake, I've been working for 10 years now and even in the worse flu season, I rarely ever need to admit someone in their 30's or 40's for the flu to the hospital . Most of the ones that do get admitted for the flu, they go home within 2-3 days. So what happen when you have a covid patient in the hospital for 10 days instead of the usual 2-3 days turnaround? well that takes up a hospital bed and guess what, we still have to deal with all the other medical emergencies that is still going on and we still have other sick patients to take care off, except now we have to divide our resource. Also, ICU capacity should not be at 80% during the month of July. The summer month is our lull and we usually have our lowest capacity so if you're at 80% now then you're royally screw when winter hit and you have to deal with the flu on top of covid.

Also FYI, we do not admit every covid patient that comes to ER. If they're not hypoxic, even if they have pneumonia on chest xray, we send them home to quarantine. It is only the ones that is hypoxic or looking to head that way that get admitted. If we had admit everyone with covid, the hospital would run out of bed weeks ago. We have a surveillance program where we track our positive patient at home and for those ones that are on the fence we give them a pulse oximeter to measure their oxygen level at home and check up on them at home with a phone call or video appointment.

Last edited:
Death is not the only possible negative outcome. I've seen lingering effects from mild complications like pneumonia for a month or more. Shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue...

I'm not going to knock someone for deciding not to take a risk that they don't have to take.
... especially when someone’s ability to maximize their livelihood rests on their ability to maximize their cardiovascular function.

The USA is still a free country for the most part. So the freedom to choose to work or not is right there for players. The NBA has made it so there is little backlash for players to opt out.

I'm not passing any judgement on players either way, Whether they play or don't play. The bubble does appear to be a grand experiment. IMO most of the young players are not at risk themselves. They will need to limit contact with at risk individuals.

Thanks Pacboy for the update on how things are going. It is good to hear how things are going direct from a Medical Professional dealing with the Virus day to day. I'm working every day as well. But in a field far away from medical.

Take care and stay safe.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
A lot of the media is trying to trick us into thinking this whole thing is a bigger deal than it really is.
Some of this discussion (like the above) is trampling on that line we are trying to draw in our discussion of the issue. We are NOT going to start debating media bias, or how this is a hoax, or anything like that. I'm not picking on you in particular ESP47, this just happens to be the most egregious statement I saw regarding that boundary we are trying to maintain. Everyone, please, stick to the "sports" part of the discussion. :)

I know we don't all agree on severity, but with 130,000+ Americans already killed by this in less than 6 months and some who survived having seizures, heart attacks, blood clots, possibly permanent loss of smell/taste, long term lung/breathing issues, etc., let's assume that this is serious enough to give everyone pause about resuming the season, etc., and keep the discussion to the relevant sports-related points on this board.

Thanks!

You might be right about the actual reality of the virus.

I contend that that has little bearing on the institutional reactions put in place... which are dictated by hyper fearful politicians that don't want a death on their watch... in an election year. The social and political dynamics are what I'm basing my extremely dire predictions on. The government reactions to date have been even far more extreme that I originally thought.

The entire school year in the majority of public schools at all levels will be online next year. There will be no sports.

You might be right about the actual reality of the virus.

I contend that that has little bearing on the institutional reactions put in place... which are dictated by hyper fearful politicians that don't want a death on their watch... in an election year. The social and political dynamics are what I'm basing my extremely dire predictions on. The government reactions to date have been even far more extreme that I originally thought.

The entire school year in the majority of public schools at all levels will be online next year. There will be no sports.
as someone who has a daughter in law as an ER doc in AZ, I can tell you there is plenty to be worried about.

Typically a 2nd year resident like her overseas a couple first year residents and spends time looking deeper into cases. Instead she has to cover her own set of cases and manage first years who because of Covid did not get their normal training in their last year of Med school because hospitals were shut down. They are in critical care and having to decide who gets what treatment and who doesn’t.

when you reach the point you have over run your medical personnel people will die needlessly.

as someone who has a daughter in law as an ER doc in AZ, I can tell you there is plenty to be worried about.

Typically a 2nd year resident like her overseas a couple first year residents and spends time looking deeper into cases. Instead she has to cover her own set of cases and manage first years who because of Covid did not get their normal training in their last year of Med school because hospitals were shut down. They are in critical care and having to decide who gets what treatment and who doesn’t.

when you reach the point you have over run your medical personnel people will die needlessly.
Again, you might very well be right.

But the reaction (or bungled reactionary measures -- Japan has less than 1000 deaths and a 2.6 % unemployment rate) is what is going to kill the economy, lead to a massive spike in violent crime, murders, suicides, drug overdoses, and all the resultant social and political chaos, which is occurring in an already tense environment.

It's this observation, not the seriousness of the disease itself (which could have been handled MUCH better), that causes me to issue my dire predictions. The complete ineptitude of our government to deal with this is the problem. Our leaders are literally mentally ill. Telling people they have an obligation to go out and protest during a pandemic because our betters deemed that systemic racism is more deadly than a global pandemic, and then completely ignoring that that is the reason for the "second wave", and instead blaming that on "reopening too soon"... is causing every person with more than two brain cells to see how dangerously incompetent the "authorities" are.

Sports are cancelled.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...keep the discussion to the relevant sports-related points on this board.

Thanks!
You guys were warned. Next time this thread will be closed for good.

Input from doctors and those on the front lines is relevant and interesting. Input about elected officials, predictions of doom and gloom, etc. are NOT. Come on. We honestly can discuss the impact on sports without drifting into hostile territory.

Last edited:
I think this NBA thing is going to happen on some level for a variety of reasons, even if it morphs into a glorified pickup game situation because half the teams have to be disqualified or it ends up being cancelled after it has started. My opinion tends to change in a daily/weekly basis, but that's where I'm at now after watching how the MLS just dealt with positive tests and listening to Shams/Simmons talking about the financial bugaboo that some owners are facing (including the Kings ownership group).

I think this NBA thing is going to happen on some level for a variety of reasons, even if it morphs into a glorified pickup game situation because half the teams have to be disqualified or it ends up being cancelled after it has started. My opinion tends to change in a daily/weekly basis, but that's where I'm at now after watching how the MLS just dealt with positive tests and listening to Shams/Simmons talking about the financial bugaboo that some owners are facing (including the Kings ownership group).[/QUOTE

Thanks for the heads up. Will listen to it.

There was an article a few months ago discussing certain ownership groups, who would be more adversely impacted by a prolonged shutdown than others. Teams with new arenas and commitments around their arenas--Kings, GSW, Milwaukee...

Also, for a pending FA like Bogi, outside of injury, this is the worse possible thing to happen to him. Contract values are going to shrink.

Death is not the only possible negative outcome. I've seen lingering effects from mild complications like pneumonia for a month or more. Shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue...

I'm not going to knock someone for deciding not to take a risk that they don't have to take.
The long term impacts of the virus are unknown. What is known is the respiratory system and brain can have huge impacts, and last time I checked the brain and lungs are important. Seriously though there is going to be lasting adverse mental factors for a long time because millions have it.

The virus causes "neurological complications including stroke, nerve damage, and potentially fatal brain inflammation."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/health/coronavirus-brain-damage-study-intl-hnk-scli-scn/index.html

Last edited:
Well what I mostly want to know was who was on the airplane and who traveled to Orlando. Any significant names not on the plane based on closing the facility. We are getting crickets in terms of information.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well what I mostly want to know was who was on the airplane and who traveled to Orlando. Any significant names not on the plane based on closing the facility. We are getting crickets in terms of information.
With the admission that I haven't been searching too much for answers, have any teams released their rosters yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.