Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

I don't know how bad it was, but sounds like Murray got hurt during this one. Brooklyn just dropped Denver, we're within 5 games of the #1 seed. It would take one hell of a push by us, and collapse by them, to get us there but man, could you imagine?

Yikes. Jokic definitely ain't getting that MVP, this may finally be Embiids time
This was the first full game I've watched of Jokic this year. Dude got a massive stat line, triple double, etc. But functionally in the game he was not that big of a factor if that makes sense. Domas can have a modest game by Jokic standards and influence the game much more. Hard to explain unless you watch it.

Brown is doing something very special in Sac. Malone is overrated.

Last edited:
I don't know how bad it was, but sounds like Murray got hurt during this one. Brooklyn just dropped Denver, we're within 5 games of the #1 seed. It would take one hell of a push by us, and collapse by them, to get us there but man, could you imagine?
They are currently in a mini free fall. They have a road trip coming up, the only "easy" team is the Pistons - but they just lost to the Spurs. They actually don't look very united as a team. I have a feeling. That's all I'll say.

The Nuggets are the team I've somewhat paid attention to come playoff time the last few years. Now that they are near full strength is the real test but every year they seem to find some team that's just going to obliterate them on pick and roll in a series. Jokic in previous years just sits under the rim on defense in the deepest drop ever seen. That Spurs game the other night showed that same weakness. Jokic can't afford to pick up fouls so he just doesn't even try at times.
Nuggets are a paper tiger until proven otherwise. Every year they get schemed into oblivion and I don't see why this year would be any different. We share an issue with a lack of a rim-protecting star C which is a problem, but Jokic's blatant PnR ineptitude unique to him is a more pressing concern.

I imagine PHX will pick them apart in the 2nd round much like in 2021.

Nuggets are a paper tiger until proven otherwise. Every year they get schemed into oblivion and I don't see why this year would be any different. We share an issue with a lack of a rim-protecting star C which is a problem, but Jokic's blatant PnR ineptitude unique to him is a more pressing concern.

Yeah, the only thing that they can figure is that Murray is going to put them over the top on the offensive side. As for the Suns, if KD comes back with no issues, well, I don't know how they don't pick just about anyone apart. They're the only thing close to a superteam in the league at this point.

With the Nets win/Nuggs loss... the Kings are now

FIVE GAMES out of the TOP SEED in the west!
Since the KINGS would control their own destiny in GM82, it's essentially FOUR GAMES back of the #1 seed.

They just got to get within 1 game before GM82.

As for the Suns, if KD comes back with no issues, well, I don't know how they don't pick just about anyone apart. They're the only thing close to a superteam in the league at this point.
That's what everyone seems to want to believe. But until we see it, I don't believe it.

The likes of KD, LBJ, AD, Steph, Klay, etc, seem to keep getting injured on a routine basis and you never know when it's going to happen or for how long.

Not only that, remember when the supposed Miami "super team" was put together? And vowed to win 5, 6, 7 Championships?

Well, that team wasn't that old and they still got beat down by Dallas in their 1st Finals and were a lucky bounce to Ray Allen away from only winning 1 title with that team. A title which was only won against a very young and immature OKC squad.

This PHX core is a lot older than that MIA core was. IDK that they got it in them to get at least one title. We'll see.

Astute take.

I've always thought PHX is the real threat in the west, especially after the addition of Glass Ankles Durant - which is why last night was such a glorious win - and Kessler's perfromance in particular. I'm more worried about the Suns than Nuggs.

There is a path to the Finals for us and it's not at all implausible. Very plausible. The Plausible Path if you will. You don't have to.

As it stands now, we could face the Twolves/Mavs in the first (winnable, esp w/ homecourt), Grizz in the second (tough but winnable), and the Suns in the WCF. All winnable. Folks I have a feeling, that's all I'm gonna say! (not really)

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I remember little about either the 05 Sonics and 06 Spurs series because I spent both waiting impatiently for them to be over.

Annual title contention spoiled me; even a first-round upset win was meaningless if it didn’t lead to the O’Brien Trophy. Those Kings teams needed offseason upgrades to truly contend, so I saw sneaking into the playoffs for a first or second round exit as a pointless distraction before the real work began.

I’ve had 16 years to dwell on that one.
The only thing I really remember about the Spurs series was Martin's shot. And at least there was some hope that they were going to go in a new direction. Artest, Martin, Bonzi. The golden years were over but there was still some talent to build anew.

2004-2005 was THE END. I completely washed that from my memory, but I am starting to recall a bunch of no name scrubs handing it to us, and I am sure Seattle overpaid as a result of their rolling us because that team also fell off a cliff.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Astute take.

I've always thougth PHX is the real threat in the west, especially after the addition of Glass Ankles Durant - which is why last night was such a glorious win - and Kessler's perfromance in particular. I'm more worried about the Suns than Nuggs.

There is a path to the Finals for us and it's not at all implausible. Very plausible. The Plausible Path if you will. You don't have to.

As it stands now, we could face the Twolves/Mavs in the first (winnable, esp w/ homecourt), Grizz in the second (tough but winnable), and the Suns in the WCF. All winnable. Folks I have a feeling, that's all I'm gonna say! (not really)
It was unthinkable as recently as the break but I do see how the balls could bounce the right way and we'd win the west. Of course I won't really be disappointed unless we got swept in the first round, but WCF actually feels highly realistic. I don't want to say it's the bar at this point, but why the hell not if we wind up in the 2nd round bracket with Memphis?

It was unthinkable as recently as the break but I do see how the balls could bounce the right way and we'd win the west. Of course I won't really be disappointed unless we got swept in the first round, but WCF actually feels highly realistic. I don't want to say it's the bar at this point, but why the hell not if we wind up in the 2nd round bracket with Memphis?
This is a man who understands what is going on.

It goes w/o saying, the KINGS have to continue winning at the clip they are currently winning to have even a remote chance. And DEN has to slip up.

But it is still a possibility. And, yes, it all starts on Monday with the Bucks.
The point is that if we're playing well enough to beat the Suns and the best team from the East and a recent champion in the Bucks, in back to back games, I'll buy into a possible sprint for the top spot

The only thing I really remember about the Spurs series was Martin's shot. And at least there was some hope that they were going to go in a new direction. Artest, Martin, Bonzi. The golden years were over but there was still some talent to build anew.

2004-2005 was THE END. I completely washed that from my memory, but I am starting to recall a bunch of no name scrubs handing it to us, and I am sure Seattle overpaid as a result of their rolling us because that team also fell off a cliff.
The entire period of about '05 to '20 was so distasteful that I actively encourage folks to rewrite fictional histories to help us/me cope. Please, please offer a different reality than what actually happened. Low bar. Nearly anything is better than what actually transpired.

That was unexpected, but somehow not shocking too. Bball is 5 on 5 on the floor plus bench 7 players in rotation game. If Jokic only one who does everything, it's like lone warrior.
BTW, about Kings and "rim protection". Who gives the bleep??? Domas protects the real estate in the paint and the space in the paint. He moves exceptionally fast and quick, plus - due to his feel for the game - he anticipates everything very well on the defensive end for himself and for the whole team.

That's what everyone seems to want to believe. But until we see it, I don't believe it.

The likes of KD, LBJ, AD, Steph, Klay, etc,
Seems like not many have noticed that all five of these Super Elite All Time Greats are on ~.500 teams (exception of Durant who's been largely inactive since the trade).

I don't think people have realized that the changing of the guard may have already happened. Too much invested (incl endorsements) to see it.

Eyes on games says other things are happening.

Last edited:
That was unexpected, but somehow not shocking too. Bball is 5 on 5 on the floor plus bench 7 players in rotation game. If Jokic only one who does everything, it's like lone warrior.
BTW, about Kings and "rim protection". Who gives the bleep??? Domas protects the real estate in the paint and the space in the paint. He moves exceptionally fast and quick, plus - due to his feel for the game - he anticipates everything very well on the defensive end for himself and for the whole team.
I agree comrade. :cool::p

Nuggets fans absolutely killing Mike Malone on reddit for not adjusting his rotations and for bad out of timeout plays. As much as i love him, i do remember him annoying me at times.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This is a man who understands what is going on.
I'm a fan but I'm still realistic. This team keeps doing what really good teams do. And we win on the road.

If I were to pick one thing that really separates this bunch out from the beginning of the golden years it's that. Even the 27-55 season before Adelman we were above .500 at home, hard as that is to believe. Arco was a fortress. We haven't even tapped into that at G1C yet. Imagine if in a year or two we are winning 35+ at G1C. I think the fact that the league hasn't gotten the word out to give start treatment to Fox and Sabonis yet because we aren't on TV, it's killing us at home. We still get an away whistle in Sacramento. If that simple thing changes next season with a dozen + national tv games, we're gonna be terrifying.

Meanwhile the team just keep cruising and finding ways to win in spite of any adversity put in front of them. You keep this core together 4-5 years and the sky is the limit.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Nuggets fans absolutely killing Mike Malone on reddit for not adjusting his rotations and for bad out of timeout plays. As much as i love him, i do remember him annoying me at times.
The thing with Malone was he got a raw deal because of our FO and fans will always remember Boogie getting sick and Malone getting canned. And Boogie was never quite the same - of course does not help the team hired a high profile but past it coach who hated Boogie soon after. Malone is symbolic of everything that went wrong in the Boogie era.

Bibby in Game 2 ignoring Adelman in the huddle then letting Barry hit a 3 to win the game in corner when all he had to do was stay on him.

Agreed. That's what I've been saying too. If the Kings and Memphis stick at 2 and 3 (any order), PHX and Denver will beat each other up in the 2nd round and we have a real chance to beat a beaten up DEN or PHX in a 7 game series. The Kings have a chance to make the Finals!

I don't know if we could beat a Boston or Milwaukee in the Finals, but we have as good a chance as anyone outside of Denver to make it to the Finals from the West.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Agreed. That's what I've been saying too. If the Kings and Memphis stick at 2 and 3 (any order), PHX and Denver will beat each other up in the 2nd round and we have a real chance to beat a beaten up DEN or PHX in a 7 game series. The Kings have a chance to make the Finals!

I don't know if we could beat a Boston or Milwaukee in the Finals, but we have as good a chance as anyone outside of Denver to make it to the Finals from the West.
I know we'd have the coaching advantage against Boston.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
This was the first full game I've watched of Jokic this year. Dude got a massive state line, triple double, etc. But functionally in the game he was not that big of a factor if that makes sense. Domas can have a modest game by Jokic standards and influence the game much more. Hard to explain unless you watch it.

Brown is doing something very special in Sac. Malone is overrated.
IDK about Malone being overrated. He's doing with Jokic what could have been done with Cousins, and the fact that he has THAT roster, which is dependent upon its starters, as the current 1 seed, is nothing short of miraculous.

I don't know that we have the length to neutralize Jokic in a 7 game series, but we can definitely make it hard on the supporting cast. Fox is definitely tailored for the playoffs - I'd love to see him against the Nuggets.