Kings players test positive for COVID-19 (merged)

I think you are all missing the point. If all the Kings contract Covid-19 and recover before the season starts back up they'll have a huge advantage over other teams that are going to lose players to quarantine. It'll come with an asterisk, but it's Kings championship time baby!

In all seriousness, Florida has been averaging 5,000 new cases per day lately. And the percentage of positive tests has significantly increased while daily tests have been roughly flat, so this isn't just more testing. Fortunately the mortality rate has remained lower than at the peak, I think largely due to hospitals not being at or above capacity to respond, but if things don't change that won't be the case for long.

There may not be a finish to this NBA season.

I just wish these young basketball players didn't feel so invincible. It's one thing to think "I will kick this viruses' arse." But it's another thing entirely to not think about others you are putting at risk.
16 out of 302 is not bad. And the 16 will likely all make it through okay. But what about grandma? What about the kid that gets lung scarring?
And 3 of 16 are Kings players? Did they not get the memo?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah that 4/51 would be super nice for him to have locked up at this point. I think teams are going to be incredibly stingy and you're going to see a bunch of guys sign 1 year deals to hopefully see the market rebound in the 2021 year.
seriously. At this point, the measly contract we’re able to offer Harry because of the QO stupidity now suddenly looks bigger than anything he’ll be able to get on the open market. I feel much better about our chances at keeping Baze and Len for next season too now, so thanks COVID, I guess.

Last edited:
I just wish these young basketball players didn't feel so invincible. It's one thing to think "I will kick this viruses' arse." But it's another thing entirely to not think about others you are putting at risk.
16 out of 302 is not bad. And the 16 will likely all make it through okay. But what about grandma? What about the kid that gets lung scarring?
And 3 of 16 are Kings players? Did they not get the memo?
That 16 out of 302 is over 5%. Kentucky is around 3.75% but Kentucky's numbers include institutions that had very high concentrations of positives. Confined communities. I do agree about the others being put at risk.

Could also be because I'd assume that every NBA player is getting tested, regardless of whether they have symptoms or not. The general public is not so the number of asymptomatic positive tests will make the number seem inflated when maybe that's more in line with what the general public has and we just don't realize it?

From NBC Sports California:

Three days after Jabari Parker announced he tested positive for the coronavirus, the Kings forward was photographed playing tennis at Longfellow Park in Chicago on Saturday, TMZ Sports reported.

The Kings released a statement to NBC Sports California regarding the matter: “We are aware of the report and are gathering additional information. We have no further comment at this time."

Here’s the league's COVID-19 rules:
"Any player who tests positive must refrain from exercise training for a period of two weeks from the date of the first positive test or the resolution of viral symptoms, whichever date is later. The player must remain in self-isolation until he produces two negative test results more than 24 hours apart and must undergo cardiac screening before he is allowed to resume training."

From NBC Sports California:

Three days after Jabari Parker announced he tested positive for the coronavirus, the Kings forward was photographed playing tennis at Longfellow Park in Chicago on Saturday, TMZ Sports reported.

The Kings released a statement to NBC Sports California regarding the matter: “We are aware of the report and are gathering additional information. We have no further comment at this time."
idiot if true

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I couldn't possibly agree more. Anybody trying to keep a very lucrative contract with a sports franchise would, one would think, follow the league rules in situations like this. What kind of idiot would go outside and play tennis after announcing publicly he would be "self-quarantining" in Chicago for the requisite two weeks? Did he really think somebody wouldn't grab a picture just to sell it to TMZ? This isn't even about COVID-19 for me at this point. It's about rampant and utter stupidity on Parker's part.

Developing story: Multiple sources tell me that the Orlando Pride players who tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday tested negative on Tuesday, which could indicate false positives. At least one more round of tests needed to confirm negatives now.

https://t.co/IhPAtGdNb4

#NWSL
Orlando Pride say second round of COVID-19 testing "indicated inconsistencies from previous tests," which is a window into the consistency concerns around testing. Orlando uses a different lab than the one the NWSL will use in Utah for the Challenge Cup..

https://t.co/IhPAtGdNb4

From a James Ham article (NBC Sports) on July 1 (sorry I can’t seem to be able to grab the link...):

Coach Walton:
“I talked to Jabari about being out in public and kind of reminded him, one, that even though he's been cleared to end his self isolation, we still can’t have anyone who gets sick doing hard physical work until a later date when you’re cleared by doctors,” Walton said.

In addition to the issue of Parker being out playing tennis before he’s been cleared by team doctors, it is also problematic that he wasn’t wearing a mask, following a positive test, while in public.

“Him, as well as everyone on our team has been reminded of the importance of wearing facemasks and being socially responsible, not just for ourselves, but for everyone we come in contact with,” Walton added.