KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, sure, but then why isn't Ivey in consideration for #1 overall in a weaker talent draft if he's this can't miss magical prospect?
I have to wonder if he's just the first realistic one to actually be moved and that's why?

Like within the NBA the players that are always in trade rumors aren't the superstars or the best players. They're fairly coveted players but not good enough where moving them would be considered unthinkable. You don't hear anything credible about Lebron, Luka, or Giannis, in the trade mill unless there's signs they may demand out or leave in FA. The ones you always hear out about are the John Collineses and the Collin Sextons.

I think it's just a combination of obvious factors, the first three teams at obviously different rebuilding stages and looking to add franchise pieces, and the Kings being where they are being the obvious first candidate being willing to move.

I had a convo with one of the mods on RealGM’s Indy forum. The local Indy podcasters think the deal to be made is 6, Brogdon, plus a lightly protected frp for #4. The issue isn’t Brogdon and Domas. It’s Fox and Brogdon. While Brogdon is relatively low usage like Hali, Brogdon still sees himself as a PG. He’ll want the ball. So how’s that going to work with Fox, who hasn‘t shown the ability to play off the ball?
That might be worth just for the FRP alone as long as it's protected only 3 or 5.

Obviously, the top tier talent of next year is Wenbenyama, Scoot, and Whitehead and Indy wouldn't even let us have a ghost of a chance of getting one of them with their pick. But ****, it's probably better to have #9 or something in next year's draft than to have #4 in this year's at all.

So if that’s the case, wouldn’t it make sense for the Kings to just draft Ivey?

Seems like Pacers fans are discussing what the 4th pick would be worth in a vacuum, and not what it would be worth to the Kings.
I personally don't have Ivey as the 4th best player in this draft. But how I value him is secondary to how the league seems to value him. Jumping up to #4 was pure luck, but what Monte does with that 4th pick is going to determine how he's perceived as an exec. It sounds like Indy, Detroit, ATL, San Antonio, NYK, Was, and Memphis have had convos with the Kings. I'd be shocked, if the Kings keep the pick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm starting to think that OKC will just draft Ivey at #2. I don't know what the Rockets would do in that scenario. My guess is that they'd still take Banchero to pair with Green, even though Holmgren is a nice fit with Sengun. I think teams may be worried about the risk with Chet.

It would be very Kings like to have Holmgren drop to #4 and then have health/injury issues that limit his career, but I'm not sure you can pass on him if he falls.

I'm starting to think that OKC will just draft Ivey at #2. I don't know what the Rockets would do in that scenario. My guess is that they'd still take Banchero to pair with Green, even though Holmgren is a nice fit with Sengun. I think teams may be worried about the risk with Chet.

It would be very Kings like to have Holmgren drop to #4 and then have health/injury issues that limit his career, but I'm not sure you can pass on him if he falls.
Yeah, either that or we get a real sweatheart deal to move up to 2 while they go down to 4 to get Ivey. If we can point to "Hey, you can have him at 4, but there's 7 other teams who want the pick offering sweet deals"... not a ton of leverage for OKC to use.

I have to wonder if he's just the first realistic one to actually be moved and that's why?

Like within the NBA the players that are always in trade rumors aren't the superstars or the best players. They're fairly coveted players but not good enough where moving them would be considered unthinkable. You don't hear anything credible about Lebron, Luka, or Giannis, in the trade mill unless there's signs they may demand out or leave in FA. The ones you always hear out about are the John Collineses and the Collin Sextons.

I think it's just a combination of obvious factors, the first three teams at obviously different rebuilding stages and looking to add franchise pieces, and the Kings being where they are being the obvious first candidate being willing to move.
Yeah or the "Lets fleece the KANGZ HAHA" type of mentality. This would be a truly terrifying spot to have Vlade in charge, but I think Monte is capable of managing the trade offers or just telling everyone to skeeve off and he takes Ivey to punt the decision later.

As much as I love Keegan, I think it's pretty clear the NBA values the 4 draft slot quite a bit. If Ivey isn't the guy, Monte has to leverage the pick into more quality assets. I obviously wouldn't be mad if Keegan is the pick at 4, but I think it'll be a big wasted opportunity that a good GM has to not miss.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
And it should be noted that if you look at the defense of Iowa, they partly hide Murray in the paint in a zone as a defacto center most of the time. He does use his exceptionally long arms well though when it comes to reaching up over other players for boards.
If that's the case, isn't it also true that Golden State "hides" Draymond Green in the paint in a zone as a defacto center as well? I thought we'd all agreed that the guy whose job is to play goalkeeper and decide when to double, when to show on pick and rolls or drop back, and basically defend the entire space within the three point arc is the keystone of that style of zone defense.

At what point do you evaluate yourself if you’re not seeing what apparently everyone else does? So many other teams want to trade for this guy, and they’re not just jokers on the internet who have watched highlight vids to get hype.
I was on an island by myself by having Bagley way down on my board when everyone else had him top 3. Then I let everyone talk me into thinking he was a can't miss top 3 prospect because I was about the only person who didn't even think he was upper to mid lottery.

Never again!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I was on an island by myself by having Bagley way down on my board when everyone else had him top 3. Then I let everyone talk me into thinking he was a can't miss top 3 prospect because I was about the only person who didn't even think he was upper to mid lottery.

Never again!
I actually had WCJ higher rated than Bagley that year, but I was too wussy to stick to my conviction. Something about WCJ not having "Bagleys elite #1 upside"

lol

Knick fans absolutely distraught that Indy offering this package would essentially force the Knicks to include RJ in a trade up deal.
Brog-6-Duarte gets it done for me. Holmes would basically have to be included, but we got plenty of expirings to send back to them. Can Holiday be traded back to the Pacers? Or is there some rule against that.

If so, 4-Holmes-Holiday-Harkless works money wise. Or you'd have take out Holiday, go T.Davis-Len to make the cash work.

I actually had WCJ higher rated than Bagley that year, but I was too wussy to stick to my conviction. Something about WCJ not having "Bagleys elite #1 upside"

lol
I had Carter higher as well but he's disappointed so far. I figured he would have more of an impact than he's had and I was thinking he would be a 34-35% 3pt shooter.

He did have a solid year this last year so maybe he's on the up and up finally.

Brog-6-Duarte gets it done for me. Holmes would basically have to be included, but we got plenty of expirings to send back to them. Can Holiday be traded back to the Pacers? Or is there some rule against that.

If so, 4-Holmes-Holiday-Harkless works money wise. Or you'd have take out Holiday, go T.Davis-Len to make the cash work.
Then send Brog to the Knicks for their pick.

Ends up as 4 for Duarte, 6 and 11.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Watching Indy twitter implode if they trade up to take Keegan would just be soooo soooo good. Grade A entertainment.
Taking older ready-to-go rookies is such a Pacers thing to do though. Duarte is like two years older than Davion who was already pretty old for a rookie. And Carlisle absolutely loves him some 6’8” forwards (Kleiber/DFS/Harrison Barnes).

Status
Not open for further replies.