KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone on twitter was arguing he'd be a good defender to me.

One thing I brushed off but is now really making me chuckle was "son of a coach".

I could do without another dad coach.
To be fair the coach they are referring to is his mother and she was an assistant at Memphis for Ja Morant's freshman year. Apparently she then starting coaching her son to mold his game after Ja. I'm paraphrasing but that's the just of it.

this is exactly what I saw for the 2 separate halves of basketball I watched Murray play. It doesn’t look like his game will translate to a star at NBA level. He’s got role player written all over him #couchGM
What if he turns into one of the bridges? Would u be happy with that? Just wondering cuz I’d be happy with one of those guys on my team, but man would love love love Donovan Mitchell or Ja type star. Glad I’m not monte

Last edited:
What if he turns into one of the bridges? Would u be happy with that? Just wondering cuz I’d be happy with the use guys on my team, but man would love love love Donovan Mitchell or Ja type star. Glad I’m not monte
I got no qualms over drafting him. If Monte feels like he’s BPA Ill watch and see. Just my CouchGM opinion don’t think he’s who we should pick at 4 cause I don’t think he’s BPA at 4. As long as he helps us win more games obviously I’m down

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Just throwing this out there because he's gotten remarkably little buzz so far... Benny Mathurin (Arizona) was the best player I saw in college basketball last year. I don't know why Jaden Ivey and Shaedon Sharpe are both projected in the top 5 and Mathurin isn't. He's at the very least equal as a shooter and ballhandler with Sharpe and he's the same size and just as athletic too. He doesn't have the shot creation skills that Ivey does but he's excellent at playing off the ball and gets most of his points from spot up jumpers and backdoor cuts so he should fit perfectly next to Fox and Sabonis. And he actually had good production in a major NCAA conference this year instead of meaningless high school rankings.

Keegan Murray | 6-8 sophomore | SF/PF | Iowa
Murray is probably the most head-scratching player in this draft. On the one hand, he’s a 6-8 forward who put up video-game stats in the Big Ten. Don’t overthink this, right? But on the other hand, he was a much older player (turning 22 in August, he’s the second-oldest player on my list today), and his tape isn’t quite as alluring as his stats. Murray is neither a high-wire athlete nor a knockdown shooter. He’s fine and all — 37.3 percent from 3 and 74.9 percent from the line in two years at Iowa — but it’s his all-around wiles as a scorer that provide his real value.
It’s fair to question how much daylight that part of his game will receive at the NBA level, because he doesn’t create easy separation and isn’t a great distributor.
Defensively, it’s more of the same. His size and length help him get hands on balls, but he’s not some elite stopper out there. He offers some secondary rim protection but didn’t always show great awareness, and his team’s defense was consistently its undoing. Murray has long arms and can slide his feet on the ball, so he should hold up decently enough against wings and fours.
What I get back to is that we’ve seen this movie before with guys like T.J. Warren and Cedric Ceballos — smooth forwards who lacked top-drawer athleticism but had crazy feel for scoring and finding buckets in the flow of the game. The league undervalues guys like this sometimes because they don’t have an easy box to slide into, but I’m pretty confident Murray can be a rotation forward at worst, and the upside is a 20-point scorer.
You can't take a guy like this at 4. PERIOD! I'd rather swing for the damn fences than get a base knock that barely moves the needle. Murray's ceiling is a very good player but he's not elite at anything and don't see him exceeding a Barnes type player. If we aren't looking for a star at 4, by pick or trade, then what the hell are we doing making the pick at 4? Our pick will have a ton of value and I'm sure we can package #4 and a player/s to get another stud. We have screwed the draft up too many times so i get it that fans are skittish and don't want to KANGZ this pick up but we can't afford to play it safe. I hope Monte doesn't feel the pressure by Vivek and makes bold moves in the draft and this offseason. Bottom line is the West is too stacked to play it safe.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there because he's gotten remarkably little buzz so far... Benny Mathurin (Arizona) was the best player I saw in college basketball last year. I don't know why Jaden Ivey and Shaedon Sharpe are both projected in the top 5 and Mathurin isn't. He's at the very least equal as a shooter and ballhandler with Sharpe and he's the same size and just as athletic too. He doesn't have the shot creation skills that Ivey does but he's excellent at playing off the ball and gets most of his points from spot up jumpers and backdoor cuts so he should fit perfectly next to Fox and Sabonis. And he actually had good production in a major NCAA conference this year instead of meaningless high school rankings.
I’d say Mathurin is prolly the most NBA ready to plug and play in this draft imo

I wouldn’t mind trading down to get Mathurin and another NBA proven player. Adding two NBA caliber pieces would do wonders for this team

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
You can't take a guy like this at 4. PERIOD! I'd rather swing for the damn fences than get a base knock that barely moves the needle. Murray's ceiling is a very good player but he's not elite at anything and don't see him exceeding a Barnes type player. If we aren't looking for a star at 4, even if they bust, then what the hell are we doing making the pick at 4? Our pick will have a ton of value and I'm sure we can package #4 and a player/s to get another stud. We have screwed the draft up too many times so i get it that fans are skittish and don't want to KANGZ this pick up but we can't afford to play it safe. I hope Monte doesn't feel the pressure by Vivek and makes bold moves in the draft and this offseason.
This quote is just one man's opinion. It's not like John Hollinger hasn't been all kinds of wrong about players in the past. Scouting isn't an exact science. A lot of these same criticisms were also said about Luka Doncic (inability to create separation, looks plodding, not an NBA level athlete, etc.)

This quote is just one man's opinion. It's not like John Hollinger hasn't been all kinds of wrong about players in the past. Scouting isn't an exact science. A lot of these same criticisms were also said about Luka Doncic (inability to create separation, looks plodding, not an NBA level athlete, etc.)
I'll be the first to admit that. I wanted Bagley over Luka. LOL Shame on me!

You can't take a guy like this at 4. PERIOD! I'd rather swing for the damn fences than get a base knock that barely moves the needle. Murray's ceiling is a very good player but he's not elite at anything and don't see him exceeding a Barnes type player. If we aren't looking for a star at 4, by pick or trade, then what the hell are we doing making the pick at 4? Our pick will have a ton of value and I'm sure we can package #4 and a player/s to get another stud. We have screwed the draft up too many times so i get it that fans are skittish and don't want to KANGZ this pick up but we can't afford to play it safe. I hope Monte doesn't feel the pressure by Vivek and makes bold moves in the draft and this offseason. Bottom line is the West is too stacked to play it safe.
This is the right answer.

Try to pick a star. If you need to play it safe, trade for a veteran. A known quantity.

I'm a big fan and would love to trade into 7/8 somehow to get him especially if we also got Murray or Jabari. We'd be square for a very long time I think.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
great if true but I don't think this was a Pacers press conference so I don't buy it.
It was just a general presser for all media. The kid just up and left the entire combine which suggests someone made a promise or he got cold feet and decided to go back to Kentucky for a season.

Mike Schmitz has Murray trending toward the third best prospect in the draft and yet 3/4 of the forum says he is a safe role playing prospect.
The DX guys do a great job. But they've missed before and often. Fultz, Toppin...to name a few recent ones. That said, I don't think it is disrespectful to assign a Harrison Barnes/Paul Milsap/Tobias Harris/TJ Warren projection to him.

The DX guys do a great job. But they've missed before and often. Fultz, Toppin...to name a few recent ones. That said, I don't think it is disrespectful to assign a Harrison Barnes/Paul Milsap/Tobias Harris/TJ Warren projection to him.
i don’t either but those players aren’t chopped liver. I think people assume that the first four picks will be stars and it often doesn’t work out that way.

You are betting on upside not necessarily production with guys like Ivey and Sharpe (who I like) but I think what some are missing is that Murray has untapped potential as well. In the final game of the season for the Hawkeyes Keegan had a 15 minute plus stretch without taking a shot because he plays within the system and does what Fran asks. He still ended up with 20 points in that game. They didn’t really run plays for him even though he was their clear best player. I won’t be surprised if he is a better creator than he showed in college at the NBA level. Throw in the positional value and versatility and you have a pretty intriguing prospect imo

i don’t either but those players aren’t chopped liver. I think people assume that the first four picks will be stars and it often doesn’t work out that way.

You are betting on upside not necessarily production with guys like Ivey and Sharpe (who I like) but I think what some are missing is that Murray has untapped potential as well. In the final game of the season for the Hawkeyes Keegan had a 15 minute plus stretch without taking a shot because he plays within the system and does what Fran asks. He still ended up with 20 points in that game. They didn’t really run plays for him even though he was their clear best player. I won’t be surprised if he is a better creator than we showed in college at the NBA level. Throw in the positional value and versatility and you have a pretty intriguing prospect imo
Basketball IQ is something the Kings have been lacking as well. This is an area where Murray could help to elevate the Kings. People also dismiss him because he’s an older prospect. But when you take his late growth spurt into account and improvement trajectory - I think it negates the bias against older prospects.

Watching some more Jaden Ivey and I don't think he will be available at #4. If he gets drafted by a team that lets him have the ball he is going to win ROY. If he is available at #4 we would probably need to take him and trade him for our ideal player and a pick (Jerami Grant?). Im pretty sure a team like Detroit, or a non-playoff team, would part with their best player for Ivey.

You are betting on upside not necessarily production with guys like Ivey and Sharpe (who I like) but I think what some are missing is that Murray has untapped potential as well. In the final game of the season for the Hawkeyes Keegan had a 15 minute plus stretch without taking a shot because he plays within the system and does what Fran asks. He still ended up with 20 points in that game. They didn’t really run plays for him even though he was their clear best player. I won’t be surprised if he is a better creator than he showed in college at the NBA level. Throw in the positional value and versatility and you have a pretty intriguing prospect imo
Can't speak for others, but my view of Murray is more than just that last game. I think he'll be a solid pro, but have had him in that second tier of players for a long time.

Can't speak for others, but my view of Murray is more than just that last game. I think he'll be a solid pro, but have had him in that second tier of players for a long time.
you could be right but my bigger point is I believe the system he played in (not just the final game) did not showcase his true potential. No Hawkeye has been drafted in the first round in the Fran era. Not great for a team that is always in the mix for a tourney bid.

you could be right but my bigger point is I believe the system he played in (not just the final game) did not showcase his true potential. No Hawkeye has been drafted in the first round in the Fran era. Not great for a team that is always in the mix for a tourney bid.
A number of college players are held back by their system. I thought Devin Booker was 6'2 and a point guard when he was coming out of Kentucky, because he played on such a loaded, tall team. Ben Howland's UCLA players were never really showcased--maybe except for Kevin Love. Russ Westbrook came off the bench his freshman season and played off the ball next to Darren Collison in his second season...

Regardless, I just don't see the ceiling to warrant him being in the top tier. We'll see.

I think Ivey is a great fit on a team with shooters that needs someone to drive and dish. He has a Fox/Morant level of quickness. That team isn’t the Kings for whom he is a god awful fit. Given Monte has no sense of team fit I fully expect Monte to draft him and then get fired next year when the Kings are again awful from a poor fitting roster and no wings.
Jaden isn't a finished product. If he get's finished, he could be a star. Like a really big time one too.

The only thing Marvin Williams and Keegan Murray have in common is they're both 6'8" forwards with workable jump shots. Aside from that, they are absolutely nothing alike as players. What a terrible comparison. (This isn't even a Marvin Williams dig. I think the guy was underrated.)

The freaking Rudy Gay/Tobias Harris comparisons are right there for the taking but I'm guessing Ham hasn't actually watched Murray play so...
The player that Keegan Murray reminds me of is a bigger Paul Pierce. Both were not elite athletes, but smart, heady player who can score the ball in bunches. I think Murray can be an alpha 20+ pts per game scorer in time. He's not flashy, but he's very active and smart player that will get you 20+pts and 7+ reb a game once he hits his stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.