Kings Passing and Shooting

The issue of passing and shooting, who does what, was started in another Peja thread. I think the topic deserves it own. Brickie's assessment of Bibby passing to Peja, the whys and whens, prompted me to look up assists and points per game statistics. The statistics are really interesting, and I think incouraging. The stats are incouraging because there is so much room for improvement, improvement on elements of the game that we have been witnessing.

The Kings have not been getting all that many assists this year. I suppose the first games have skewed the stats.

Assists in the NBA: Steve Nash, first with 11.0 per game. Mike Bibby is 17th with 6.0 per game. Chris Webber is 27th with 5.1 apg. No other Kings in the top 49 assist leaders.

Assists per turn-over: Antonio Daniels is first with a ratio of 4.57:1. Webber is 33rd with 2.41:1. Bibby is currently 38th with 2.29:1. No other Kings in the top 49.

Turn-overs in the NBA: Richard Jefferson is first with 5.50/game. Bibby is 36th with 2.63/game. Several players are 49th with 2.33/game. No other Kings on the list.

I think these stats suggest some ragged early-season play. I would be shocked if the Kings to not improve dramatically in team-assists per game.

Points in the NBA:

LeBron james is currently first with 28.6 ppg.

Peja Stojakovic is 32nd with 19.3 ppg.
Chris Webber is 35th with 18.4 ppg.
Mike Bibby is 37th with 18.3 ppg.
Brad Miller is 46th with 16.4 ppg.

These stats show remarkable ball and points distribution. It looks like team work to me. I believe that the numbers will rise as the season continues.

quick dog said:
Points in the NBA:

I'm so glad I route for a team with 4 players in the top 50 in scoring instead of one player who is first. It's just better basketball to watch.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Nice job on the stats and breka out thread. The King HAVE to pass well to win. With the offensive fire power they have they should be albe to beat any team any night by getting the ball to the hot hand and the open man. When their ball movement gets sluginsh they bogg down then force shots when the clock runs out. This is the mani reason the team works so well when Webb kicks the ball out with time on the clock vrs when he plays Bob Cousey style and tries to best two or three defender. Sure he pulls it off a lot but he also turns over the ball alot which means not only the lost 2 or 3 points on the offense but often a break away for the defnesnse. Just one example. We could also talk about Pedja getting the ball against a good deender ans having to run arround the court to try to get open so he can shoot rather than being able to penetrate and kick out to an open player. Bottom line is good things happen when they pass the ball. Kind of like the movie Hoosiers.

Peja would become an absolute terror on the court if he could develop, and perfect, a great cut to the basket from right field. He may be a shade too big to really get it done consistently. I would love to see Peja "shake and bake" somebody sleeping on the job. If Shack can do it, Peja ought to be able to do it.

quick dog said:
Points in the NBA:

These stats show remarkable ball and points distribution. It looks like team work to me. I believe that the numbers will rise as the season continues.
This is more of a function of no bench production and Doug Christie not scoring so I suspect that this will even out more as someone steps up.

I try not to look at stats so early in the season, we are of course talking about 8 games into the season and #'s are always greatly exaggerated in that sense. (i.e the Kings are worst in just about every D category, now, they could easily run off 20 wins and hold their opponents to 84 pts per game on 34% shooting---could, I said they could ;)). Any how, its early, that's my point. Its no little known fact that the Kings winning is based on the offense. You can break the game down any way you want, but sometimes its as simple as : pass the ball, get and easy shot, money in the bank, win and people step off their roof ledges.

The Kings do have a lot of improvement that needs to take place before their start playing at the high level we are all accoustomed to. 3 out of the last 4 have been a step in that direction.

quick dog said:
Peja would become an absolute terror on the court if he could develop, and perfect, a great cut to the basket from right field. He may be a shade too big to really get it done consistently. I would love to see Peja "shake and bake" somebody sleeping on the job. If Shack can do it, Peja ought to be able to do it.
if you mean backdoor cut, yeah he is too slow to do that consistently, but that pin down that he has that Christie is always looking for on the beginning of the set is deadly.

thanks for starting this thread. the other discussions had me entirely confused
it would be really interesting to watch the game tomorrow night with this in mind, then come back and see what you guys think.

GO KINGS!

keflanag said:
I'm so glad I route for a team with 4 players in the top 50 in scoring instead of one player who is first. It's just better basketball to watch.
Very good point and i agree , the bad thing about one guy doing all the shooting is if hes off that night , whos gonna step up ? As for us we have a good 5 guys that can drop 20-25+ points on any game.