[Game] Kings @ Nuggets - Wednesday, Feb. 13 - 6PT/9ET

I really don’t know what you’re talking about. I thought Kosta played solid and was what was needed. I think they lose by 10 if we don’t have Kostas defense in the middle of the fourth.
There is a difference between solid and doing things beyond to help the team win. Kosta is just doing fundamental but doesn't do anything else special...that is the problem. If he blocked the second shot by Jorkic, i would consider that special....but for Kosta, that would be considered miracle. At least Bagley have a chance because he has the second quickest jumper in the game.

You're so damm right. I always this: Willie Cauley-Stein is not a true starter material. The ONLY reason he is starting for the Kings is because Kings ain't got any big man with length. Well, until Bagley grow and be stronger.
I made it clear we needed a center at the break. Gasol/Jordan/Kanter. Anything. We could compete with a big body over WCS now, this year
Willie Cauley-Stein...tall and sometimes useless. His second jump is terribly slow. .
Biggest need in the offseason is a rebounder. Im tired of this soft crap. I recognize willies talent but his softness freaking kills me. Give me a high energy bruiser who can grab a freaking rebound and dunk the ball over a human stick who can't finish.
Just a warning: you all are terribly close to having opinions. Careful.

Rationalize the loss? we lost to a team that beat us now 3 times this season at their house where they are 24-4. there is nothing to rationalize there.

The Kings losses look very similar this season regardless of who they face and the good news is that's it's probably correctable. The bad news is it took a longer than necessary struggle to see the corrections we have this year finally come to fruition in relation to their play style.

Rationalize the loss? we lost to a team that beat us now 3 times this season at their house where they are 24-4. there is nothing to rationalize there.
Let’s see:

-up 17 pts in the first half
-Malone is ejected in first half
-Beasley is ejected in 4th quarter
-Bjelica doesn’t play in 4th
-Bagley doesn’t play last 8 or so mins
-Isaiah thomas plays first game in over a year
-Denver has a top playoff spot pretty much secure and could care less about this game

I’m not sure how many more games we’re gonna have gift wrapped for us. Joerger needs to hold himself accountable for some bad decisions at the end

I really don’t know what you’re talking about. I thought Kosta played solid and was what was needed. I think they lose by 10 if we don’t have Kostas defense in the middle of the fourth.
Yeah, Kosta played fine. When he was taken out you would’ve thought he just tacked on 10 losses to the Kings record with the venom but he played fine. At the very least he was able to hold his ground with Jokic although he was unable to shore up the rebounding significantly.

Seriously, I think we would have about 5 more wins of the season if we had a great, consistent rebounder. We were better on the boards than denver in the 1st half and were better than them. They outrebounded up (read demolished us) on the boards in the 2nd half and won the game.

We need a monster rebounder especially if we are going to play small.
Or don’t play small against one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league. We have the same problem when we play the Clippers. Joeger goes small and we get killed on the boards.

There is a difference between solid and doing things beyond to help the team win. Kosta is just doing fundamental but doesn't do anything else special...that is the problem. If he blocked the second shot by Jorkic, i would consider that special....but for Kosta, that would be considered miracle. At least Bagley have a chance because he has the second quickest jumper in the game.
Go back and watch the stretch of minutes kosta was guarding Jokic. He was our only big that could guard him all night. There were I believe 3 or 4 sequences that ended in a miss or turnover.

Let’s see:

-up 17 pts in the first half
-Malone is ejected in first half
-Beasley is ejected in 4th quarter
-Bjelica doesn’t play in 4th
-Bagley doesn’t play last 8 or so mins
-Isaiah thomas plays first game in over a year
-Denver has a top playoff spot pretty much secure and could care less about this game

I’m not sure how many more games we’re gonna have gift wrapped for us. Joerger needs to hold himself accountable for some bad decisions at the end
What the hell are you talking about? Denver doesn’t care about this game? It’s not like they have a 20 game lead on home court advantage.

The Kings losses look very similar this season regardless of who they face and the good news is that's it's probably correctable. The bad news is it took a longer than necessary struggle to see the corrections we have this year finally come to fruition in relation to their play style.
A lot of it is execution. I am all for running the pnr but that does not guarantee success. Tonight, given how close it was, I don't know if I can object to anything. Maybe its just expectations for this game.

Not the end of the world. Can't win them all. Let's not forget this team is young and does have some flaws (rebounding from the starters being one of them). Lost to a really good team (with a great home record) on the road. The fact that the Kings were even in the game till the end tells you something.

Buddy and Bogi both missed a lot of shots including some easy ones but the Kings lost the game because of rebounding plain and simple.

Bagley was also getting abused inside almost as bad as WCS. A year from now when Bagley and Giles have more seasoning under their belt (and perhaps WCS is replaced) I'm sure the Kings do a better job.

Those clamoring for a guy like Enes Kanter (who lost his rotation spot in New York of all places) just remember the grass isn't always greener. Not only would Kanter likely take minutes away from guys like Bagley/Giles.......he's also absolutely awful defensively especially on the perimeter on the pick-n-roll and switches. So you bring in a guy like Kanter to help fix your rebounding problem and you then create a new problem on defense.

We have to understand this teams identity and so do they. For the moment at least the Kings aren't a team that wins or loses on average via rebounding unless it's some freak play at the end of a game that makes THE difference in a close game. The Kings are a classic balls to the wall pace team, they lose based on scoring droughts like they experienced in the 3rd. Teams like that historically have gotten killed on the boards while on their way to 50+ wins. This teams achilles right now is their offense believe it or not. With the pace they play at they should be scoring more points than they are. They are the fastest team in the league yet are at the bottom rungs of the top 10 in PPG. That won't cut it and it's those droughts we see that's the crux of the issue. They routinely run offensive sets that yield nothing and allow bad to go to worse when it might not have to. Bad shooting nights will happen but entire chunks of a game where they go away from what works is the hallmark of a team that could find itself limited when it doesn't have to be.

Just for the record, I really like the Barnes trade and think he’s a great fit for the team.

I don’t understand why he played 41 mins though and Burks only 7. Especially when he was called to work his ass off against Millsap on defense. That was one of the biggest head scratchers for me.
Or Beli 20. Who the hell plays Barnes 41 minutes at altitude. All that time of small ball 4 with a guy on 41 minutes is just ridiculous.

A lot of it is execution. I am all for running the pnr but that does not guarantee success. Tonight, given how close it was, I don't know if I can object to anything. Maybe its just expectations for this game.

No, but it certainly increases the odds when you take better shots and in the 3rd they didn't do that. 41, 28, 22, 27. In a game played at that speed 22 points in a quarter is like 18 for most teams.

Kings played great. The competed with a top team at home. But playing small ball against a top offensive rebounding team with a new guy playing 41 minutes at altitude is not Joeger’s finest moment.

Wasn't aware that Denver was in coast mode and already had a top playoff seed locked up. Wonder why they didn't rest their starters.... :rolleyes:
I guess it’s been such a long time from us being a contender, that you don’t realize when a team isn’t using all of its weapons to pull out a win.

Denver definitely didn’t value this game as much as we did and it’s simple.. they have that luxury, just like we had the luxury of losing to some mediocre teams back during the adelman days. Especially when Malone could have cared less about being ejected, that told me how much they cared.

What the hell are you talking about? Denver doesn’t care about this game? It’s not like they have a 20 game lead on home court advantage.
Cmon they were cruising this game. Malone got ejected, stomped his foot walking off then had a smirk on his face.

Beasley essentially had a look like a big brother who just taught his little brother a lesson... and didn’t care that he got ejected. Please, Denver did not value this game as much as we did and they still beat us without their head coach

i want to live in a world where Kosta Koufos is not on the floor with the game on the line.

Marvin, Willie and Harry... we need you guys to take a long hard look at the way Milsap and Jokic flatout manhandled you guys tonight and take it personal. This front court has a major target on its back defensively and it’s up to you guys to fix it. We can do this. Go Kings.
That is what an off season will do. Marvin and Harry have to get stronger. Both have to learn how to play against more physical players. Marvin can’t force things and Harry can’t loose his cool.

Kings played great. The competed with a top team at home. But playing small ball against a top offensive rebounding team with a new guy playing 41 minutes at altitude is not Joeger’s finest moment.
One good thing about it is that Barnes has probably never felt love from a coach this early on like he has from coach Joerger. When Joerger puts his trust in his guys he's all in, you have to admire that.

I'll prob get some flak for this but there's times like today where Giles doesn't look like anything special. I hope there's better days ahead for him. He tends to have clunkers.

And yes, he's young I know.
He's got great talent, but if he doesn't get his fouls under control he'll never be a good player. Fouling out in 12 minutes. How often has something similar happened with him? Too often. What good is your talent if you can't stay on the floor. With all that said, I fully expect him to get it under control. He's still a rookie and we can't put too high of expectations on him at this point. He'll learn, he'll get stronger and smarter. Patience...

No, but it certainly increases the odds when you take better shots and in the 3rd they didn't do that. 41, 28, 22, 27. In a game played at that speed 22 points in a quarter is like 18 for most teams.
Denver is one of the best defensive teams so they were bound to slow us up at some point. We did generate some open shots though, even 3s, that we missed. That said, there was a stretch of one on one in the 3rd that yielded nothing.