[Game] Kings @ Nuggets - 1/3/17 - 6PT/9ET

gunks

Hall of Famer
I was vehemently opposed to Willie before the draft, with Mudiay, Myles Turner, Justice and Johnson all on my board ahead of him. I started to be somewhat hopeful post-draft once I reviewed his Chicago pre-draft numbers and listened to interviews and he came across as a thoughtful intelligent guy.

But the warning signs at Kentucky were undeniable. Stagnant production over three years and propensity to disappear in key moments. He was invisible in the final game of his career. He deferred to KAT and was too cool for school. He was a non-assertive entity too often, and we are seeing that now.

In retrospect and at the time, picking him was the safe pick, because he had the pedigree from the top school and the team was in desperate need of defensive-minded player. But when you are drafting at #6, you need to go for the star. Willie did not show or project star potential. Unless there is a dramatic and an unexpected change related to strength, aggressiveness, confidence, shot blocking, rebounding and scoring prowess, drafting Willie was a mistake.

It may be better to cut our losses now instead of hoping for a miracle.
Yeah, I recall there were a few anti Willie folk on the board.

And believe me, I wouldn't really be sad to see WCS go, if the trade is right.

I'd rather ship Ben out though. I don't care how good he is in practices.